Status
Not open for further replies.

Giannis

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
Hey,

I would like to ask something. Is ESS 8 really needed on a desktop windows 7 computer instead of NOD32? I'm not interested at anti-theft, parental controls or antispam since I'm the only one using my desktop and Gmail seems to be doing fine for now. What I'm interested at is the "Personal Firewall" part. Is the botnet protection and the network attack protection really needed? Can't those issues be covered by windows firewall (for network attack - firewall) or signatures / ESET's zero day protection (for botnets)?

Thanks.

Reactions: tonibalas

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
For Windows 7 desktop computer i would choose ESET NOD32 Antivirus. As you said... you don't need anti-theft, parental control, antispam...only usefull feature for you is ESET Firewall (it's outbound part). You can set your windows firewall (change your location) to public and it will close some holes in the system. As for botnet protection... it should be part of every commercial firewall job... but they gave him name: "Botnet Protection". Eset zero day protection is part of Eset Live Grid. I would chose NOD32 :)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its just a user preference, if you don't want other features then go to ESET AV. Well for Windows Firewall that's not the problem,a so called Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

Design to configure for better protection against any attacks and harden to restrict applications on the behavior on having incoming and outgoing connection.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
I choose Smart Security for my home as it's Smart Firewall is just that.
Quiet as a mouse yet very effective :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.