• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have installed Nod32 AV.

Those who are experts in Nod32 AV, plzz give infos & suggestions.

During install, it asked to me enable/disable PUP, I selected enable.

In settings, there are 2 options.
Potentially Unwanted Applications - Checked by default.
Potentially Unsafe Apps - Not checked - Should I check this? Any probs checking this?

I dont use Outlook so it is not installed. But I use Outlook web version.
I guess Web Access Protection is Webshield, right?
Can I disable Email Client Protection or it also protects Outlook web version & other webmails like gmail, hotmail/outlook, yahoomail, etc...?

Can I disable Removable Media Scan?
AutoPlay for all the media are disabled on my system.

Setting the system updates under settings to no updates means it will not notify me about windows updates, right?

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I have installed Nod32 AV.

Those who are experts in Nod32 AV, plzz give infos & suggestions.

During install, it asked to me enable/disable PUP, I selected enable.(Enable PUP)

In settings, there are 2 options.
Potentially Unwanted Applications - Checked by default.
Potentially Unsafe Apps - Not checked - Should I check this? Any probs checking this?( yea turn on all of these)

Can I disable Email Client Protection or it also protects Outlook web version & other webmails like gmail, hotmail/outlook, yahoomail, etc...? (i think yes!)

Can I disable Removable Media Scan? ( yes you can disable all thing you want, if you sure your usb is full clean you can disable this but not recommended because a day you may conect a usb (stranger usb) and your system... :D)
AutoPlay for all the media are disabled on my system.

Setting the system updates under settings to no updates means it will not notify me about windows updates, right?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Potentially Unsafe Apps
PUP are different from PUA, PUP are programs that generally you dont need that comes bundled with other products, PUA in the other hand will be tools like remote administrative consoles commercial keyloggers and spyware basically program that are used by IT professional to manage their network however it may pose a security risk if someone unwanted manage to install this soft, so i may tell you that you enable it

Can I disable Email Client Protection or it also protects Outlook web version & other webmails like gmail, hotmail/outlook, yahoomail, etc...?
NO, eset only protect email clients like thunderbird, outlook express etc, emails clients that are installed in your pc, for those who have a web based version like gmail, yahoo and etc they do have they filters for spam and malware, all the content from them will be treated as a https traffic no smtp or pop, what emails protection offers you is to mitigate spam and the possible download of malware (in installed clients).

Can I disable Removable Media Scan?
good choice to have autoplay off but i would prefer to have media scan on just in case

windows updates, right?
NO, ESET by default counts system updates as potential vulnerabilities and it offers you to download them, however it doesnt mess with windows setting what you are doing is to prevent eset from telling you that your OS is out of date

for more info here you have the help file please read pages 14 and 17 however you may reach the help file by pressing f1 in your pc with eset GUI

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
gricardo21,

Enabling PUA will not bring undesired effect, right?
I am asking this as I am not that expert.

Help files mentions "Web access protection. Access to known web pages with malicious content is always blocked."
So WAP is indeed webshield, right?
And email client protection is for email clients, right?
I dont have outlook, thunderbird or express installed so can safely disable email client protection, right?

I have windows updates set to automatic install.
So I think no probs settings eset checks for windows updates to disable, right?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Enabling PUA will not bring undesired effect, right?
unless you use monitor tools or related, you would not find any problem as well

So WAP is indeed webshield, right?
yes

And email client protection is for email clients, right?
exactly, WAP and mail protections are a different story (however they use the same module for web blocking)

I dont have outlook, thunderbird or express installed so can safely disable email client protection, right?
yes, as this module is useless for you..

So I think no probs settings eset checks for windows updates to disable, right?
yes, there´s no problem :D

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
How often it updates in a day?

Previously I was running Bitdefender free AV.

Must say theres a huge difference is browsing, download speed & system performance.

Its very light but taskmanager shows gui around 8k & eset service around 100k, is this normal?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Is social media scanner good?
Can I protect any number of facebook/twitter accounts like family members accounts with social media scanner?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
social media scanner is an app in facebook actually isnt part of eset AV and yes you can go to the app wall and activate it there

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
What about this?
Its very light but taskmanager shows gui around 8k & eset service around 100k, is this normal usage of eset?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Yes.. normally it will take from 50-80mb when idle.. on scan more... however compared with others AV it is light... if you have a 2gb ram it will be ok

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Its continously around 100k but system is running light.

No more queries for now.
If any will post later.

Thanxx a lot for help, support & your time.

Reactions: kiric96

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
surely it will drop down trough the time, just leave ESET to adapt your system
ok, no problems that is why we are here, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask here :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Just a note that not all files detected by ESET as ticked from PUA/PUP will be caused False Positives since its undergone on a process where the behavior of a program likely contributes in related to malicious.

Example is Viber Software for PC as ESET detected the installer to be malicious and provided that its sending data cause to be suspicious even its program considered to be legitimate itself.

Reactions: kiric96

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Just a note that not all files detected by ESET as ticked from PUA/PUP will be caused False Positives since its undergone on a process where the behavior of a program likely contributes in related to malicious.

Example is Viber Software for PC as ESET detected the installer to be malicious and provided that its sending data cause to be suspicious even its program considered to be legitimate itself.

Yeap you are rigth eset sometimes is very agressive when it comes to PUA and PUP

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have enabled PUP but have kept PUA disabled.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
If you install what your need and not what you find on the net you may disable both...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Does Eset Live Grid detect malware i.e is it Eset's cloud protection to detect malware or its simply for info i.e just to send info about suspicious things to eset?

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Does Eset Live Grid detect malware i.e is it Eset's cloud protection to detect malware or its simply for info i.e just to send info about suspicious things to eset?

yes and no, sometimes eset blocks suspicious files that are only flagged (in red, via live grid) in real time, sometimes not... its hard to say, but i think that if eset takes a "real advantage of live grid" it can do better at detecting zero day malware (as most of the times it doesnt give you protection for them, unless you tweak settings) about submissions, i think that eset sends meta data info when you right click on files to scan with live grid, in settings there is an option that configures that stuff.. however eset doesn disclose how live grid works and when data is collected..

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Where is exploit protection in nod32 gui?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.