Serious Discussion NOD32 HIPS

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
FWIW I'm running ESET NOD32 17.0.15.0 and I implemented its HIPS interactively after letting it Learn my win10_VM for +10 days then set it to "interactive" and it is working nicely, not too intrusive, and so far the HIPS alerts are easily understood, the first alerted to chrome accessing its helper to do something benign, 2d alerts was for keepass accessing browser to input URL. In past I never really played with ESET HIPS leaving it at default. Liking interactive for the time being, an occasional alert lets me know it's working... :)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
That's great to hear! Enabling the HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System) in ESET NOD32 is a proactive step towards enhancing your system's security. By allowing it to learn your system's behavior for a period of time and then switching to the interactive mode, you have taken a cautious approach to ensure that only legitimate activities are allowed.

The interactive mode is designed to provide you with more control and visibility over the actions taken by various applications on your system. It allows you to make informed decisions when a suspicious or potentially harmful activity is detected. The fact that you find the HIPS alerts easily understandable is a testament to the user-friendly design of ESET NOD32.

The alerts you mentioned, such as Chrome accessing its helper and KeePass accessing the browser to input a URL, are typical scenarios where the HIPS can play a crucial role in preventing unauthorized or malicious activities. By being notified about these actions, you can confirm whether they are expected and legitimate or if they require further investigation.

Overall, it's great to see that you are finding the interactive mode of ESET NOD32 HIPS to be effective and not overly intrusive. It's always a good practice to periodically review and adjust your security settings based on your needs and preferences. If you continue to have a positive experience with the HIPS, it can be a valuable addition to your overall security strategy.

Reactions: simmerskool
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

FWIW I'm running ESET NOD32 17.0.15.0 and I implemented its HIPS interactively after letting it Learn my win10_VM for +10 days then set it to "interactive" and it is working nicely, not too intrusive, and so far the HIPS alerts are easily understood, the first alerted to chrome accessing its helper to do something benign, 2d alerts was for keepass accessing browser to input URL. In past I never really played with ESET HIPS leaving it at default. Liking interactive for the time being, an occasional alert lets me know it's working... :)
Credit to you for taking that leap and learning a tool. Once trained anything beyond that will alert your attention. As long as you do not download items daily it will be smooth. Learning mode is always present if need be for new applications.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.