NOD32 version 5 or 6 with Comodo firewall

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Hello, guys. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but I would need your help on this. Has anyone used NOD32 version 5 or 6 with Comodo firewall and are there any conflicts? Just to mention that for me disabling the HIPS in NOD32 is not an option as it is intertwined with the self-defense and if you disable it, so is self-defense.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Considering ESET v6 isn't a product available for the general public, I would stick to the stable & supported v5.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Earth said:
Considering ESET v6 isn't a product available for the general public, I would stick to the stable & supported v5.
Actually I have already tried version 6 and it works just fine on my system but I would like to use the AV version only with Comodo but since it's my main PC, I'd like to hear if someone has used either version 5 or 6 with Comodo firewall and if there are possible conflicts concerning the HIPS parts of both.

D

Deleted member 178

I used NOD32 for a long time with Online Armor Premium (HIPS & firewall) , i just disabled the ESET's HIPS and all worked fine.

Anyway running two HIPS not designed to run with others HIPS are an open way to conflicts, and i dont mention the shower of popups :D

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
I used NOD32 for a long time with Online Armor Premium (HIPS & firewall) , i just disabled the ESET's HIPS and all worked fine.

Anyway running two HIPS not designed to run with others HIPS are an open way to conflicts, and i dont mention the shower of popups :D

Well, unfortunately I'll have to live with that if I want to use this combo. The only thing that bothers me is that self-defense is part of the HIPS module (that's confirmed on ESET's support forum) and if you disable it, you disable the self-defense as well.

D

Deleted member 178

So avoid Comodo FW, just tweak ESET's HIPS to your needs.

note that Comodo FW will surely catch the malware that will trying to disable NOD32, so its HIPS and self-defense is anyway useless if you keep CFW.

using an analogy:

will you wear 2 condoms at same time when you know that the one you will wear the last is better than the first one :D

p.s: sorry cant find a better analogy :p

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:

note that Comodo FW will surely catch the malware that will trying to disable NOD32, so its HIPS and self-defense is anyway useless if you keep CFW.

using an analogy:

will you wear 2 condoms at same time when you know that the one you will wear the last is better than the first one :D

Well, you made your point with a bang:shok: I'll see, I'm quite tempted by the idea of this combo. I'll have to spend quite some time fiddling with the HIPS part of ESET in case I use it standalone (I have a Smart security license till May next year).
By the way I just checked and saw that the on-demand results for September of AV-Comparatives are out. Avira excellent as usual!

D

Deleted member 178

advantage of NOD32+CFW = super light on system responsiveness for max protection, if i didnt have my EAM + OAP licenses , i will do that combo.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot to mention that I had problems with the epfwwfp.sys driver of Smart Security. I went through all the suggested moves - official and unofficial but still there is some kind of a problem with the Windows filtering platform driver of Eset on my PC.

ammarmasooma

Aug 19, 2012
umbra can you pls tell me the exact steps for the optimum config of NOD32+comodo firewall..how am i suppose to set it up?

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:

using an analogy:

By using two hips can it cause any problem

D

Deleted member 178

Nod32 part: disable HIPS, add comodo running processes in exclusions
Comodo part: add Nod32 processes in exclusions (follow my guide for Comodo part)

ammarmasooma

Aug 19, 2012
ok thanks for that..
1 more thing,i dont exactly want to add comodo fw so was thinking if i could carry on with the windows built in firewall...if u can help me with some tweaks??

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.