Battle NOD32 vs Webroot SA (With Windows 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwspong

Thread author
Mar 25, 2013
NOD32 + Win 8 WD vs. Webroot Security Anywhere + Win 8 WD

Criteria:
Looking for Lightest & Best Performance & Most Compatible With Windows 8

Z

ZeroDay

You wouldn't be able to run nod32 with win 8 defender as both are full real time scanners, you can run webroot fine with win 8 defender though.

pwspong

Thread author
Mar 25, 2013
Thanks. Would you recommend just the WSA 2013 Standard AV or the WSA Complete? Only feature I see myself using possibly from the Complete is the system cleaner.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I installed ESET Smart Security in my Windows 8 Pro x64 PC and had two problems.
After boot, on login, ESET icon was not there at least the half of times. I followed ESET's instructions to delete a startup value and create another, but the same behavior remained. No other realtime AV's were installed. ESET's protection seemed to work as connection to download Eicar test file was broken but there was no notification about it as it should. Of course this does not happen to most users but it was enough to make me remove it. If you won't experience such problem, it will be a nice solution for your PC. Also, it's not adviced to use two real time security apps simoultaneously in general.

WSA is a respectable product and very very light (maybe the lightest between 3rd party products) but has not the detection rates of ESET. It requires internet connection to work properly as it's cloud based.
WD with WSA is a very good choice. I am currently using this combination-(update: I removed WSA and left only Windows Defender). Webroot says that you can use it's products along with others with no problems. It's not a problem to use one of them alone if you have UAC and smartscreen on plus some third party scanners that you 'll use it once in a time.

D

Deleted member 178

i will say WSA alone is good enough, you have to know that WSA doesn't focus at all on detection but on prevention and its rollback feature.

note: WSA can also works offline since its database is cached.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Reports from users that NOD32 and Webroot are generally light in the system but if a product likely cloud based then more logic its more better stability performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.