Node's Security Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
I would like to suggest a good free and reliable backup solution such as Macrium Reflect or Aomel Backupper. ;)

Thanks for sharing your config with us. :)

I don't primarily rely on backups as I don't have much that is considered *important*, although I do backup things on USB Drives I have laying around.

Reactions: frogboy

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Very nice config.
I would suggest to switch to uBlock Origin and add hpHosts filters. That would probably reduce the need for patching software like 0patch.
Thanks for sharing!

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Very nice config.
I would suggest to switch to uBlock Origin and add hpHosts filters. That would probably reduce the need for patching software like 0patch.
Thanks for sharing!
Interesting... How changing the adblocker should help against vulnerabilities in unpatched software...?

Reactions: brambedkar59

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Interesting... How changing the adblocker should help against vulnerabilities in unpatched software...?
hpHosts emd list could immediately stop malware pages from loading, preventing the exploit to load in the vulnerable browser.

It doesn't. :')
You can't add hpHosts to Adguard.

Last edited by a moderator:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
hpHosts emd list could immediately stop malware pages from loading, preventing the exploit to load in the vulnerable browser.
And what about legitimate websites with injected malicious code? And other vulnerable apps like office apps and PDF viewers?
I understand what you're trying to say but malicious websites are only one of many attack vectors so even if you enable all filters available you're still at risk.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
And what about legitimate websites with injected malicious code? And other vulnerable apps like office apps and PDF viewers?
I understand what you're trying to say but malicious websites are only one of many attack vectors so even if you enable all filters available you're still at risk.
I agree with you specially regarding office apps and pdf viewers. Ransomware coming from those type of files do exist.
I was just trying to say that patcher software is not that needed these days because of the quick updates by major companies. Adding more protection against malware domains would reduce the risk of exploits even more.
Still an opinion though.

Reactions: enaph

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Even if data preservation isn't important, backing up your system is recommended.

I'd recommend an easy enough tool. You can go with free Rollback Rx Home, that's a good tool but may require manual assistance. Paid version is $69 and can be fully automated.

You don't have to go for an intense disk imaging regime, but trust me sometimes even just having a solution to back out of a bad windows update or driver can make a world of difference.

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
Even if data preservation isn't important, backing up your system is recommended.

I'd recommend an easy enough tool. You can go with free Rollback Rx Home, that's a good tool but may require manual assistance. Paid version is $69 and can be fully automated.

You don't have to go for an intense disk imaging regime, but trust me sometimes even just having a solution to back out of a bad windows update or driver can make a world of difference.

Restore points are kept - I don't need a massive backup routine. If I have anything important that needs to be kept I store it on a USB drive. (as stated before)

Reactions: JHomes

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
I have made new additions to my security configuration. :)

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
@Node: please kindly consider already mentioned suggestions about Image System Backups -> Macrium Reflect or Aomel Backupper.

Tagging Your config temporally as Caution...

Apart from that, You have a secure config, thanks for sharing! :)

I thought I made it clear in previous comments but I'll say it again: I do not need useless backup programs, the only thing important I keep is documents and I back them up locally via a USB / external drive. If something was to ever happen I have no issue re-installing Windows. I'm not about to make my configuration redundant and have programs that are of no use to me. (not having a backup program doesn't even have an impact on security, just an impact on data-loss prevention)

I kindly ask you to tag my thread as secure again.

@Jack @BoraMurdar @Exterminator

Reactions: Flengo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.