Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No account password-protection?
No Service Pack 1?

Shadow Defender can be classified as real-time protection, even though you already have a long list of security products.

I wouldn't consider JM Anti-Phishing Beta as an on-demand system scanner

Why do you have Farbar Recovery Scan Tool? (main purpose resides in helping you locate and remove malware problems).

N

NOLF92

Thread author
No account password-protection?
No Service Pack 1?

Shadow Defender can be classified as real-time protection, even though you already have a long list of security products.

I wouldn't consider JM Anti-Phishing Beta as an on-demand system scanner

Why do you have Farbar Recovery Scan Tool? (main purpose resides in helping you locate and remove malware problems).

True enough on Shadow Defender and JM Anti-Phishing. I'll switch their positions accordingly. I was recommended Farbar Recovery Scan Tool in a situation where I was trying to delete remnants from an old COMODO installation. It didn't work, but I still see how it could be useful. Also, I do have SP1 (just added to config listing), and what do you mean by account password protection? As in the login screen to Windows? Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
True enough on Shadow Defender and JM Anti-Phishing. I'll switch their positions accordingly. I was recommended Farbar Recovery Scan Tool in a situation where I was trying to delete remnants from an old COMODO installation. It didn't work, but I still see how it could be useful. Also, I do have SP1 (just added to config listing), and what do you mean by account password protection? As in the login screen to Windows? Thank you for your feedback.

I think what @Huracan meant is whether you have any programs/ software that manage the passwords for the website you surf. For E.g. LastPass, KeePass, etc...

Btw, nice and strong config. In fact I felt abit overkill.:p

N

NOLF92

Thread author
I think what @Huracan meant is whether you have any programs/ software that manage the passwords for the website you surf. For E.g. LastPass, KeePass, etc...

Btw, nice and strong config. In fact I felt abit overkill.:p

Ahhh, I do, that being KeepPass. It seems a bit overkill, but I barely feel it. Anti-exploit is light, so is ZAM anti-keylogger, MCSHIELD, etc. Heck, Comodo is light in comparison to most firewalls. I wish MWB Anti-Malware was a bit lighter, but it's worth its weight in gold. What would you consider changing, if anything? I'm all ears, I'm happy to learn. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Ahhh, I do, that being KeepPass. It seems a bit overkill, but I barely feel it. Anti-exploit is light, so is ZAM anti-keylogger, MCSHIELD, etc. Heck, Comodo is light in comparison to most firewalls. I wish MWB Anti-Malware was a bit lighter, but it's worth its weight in gold. What would you consider changing, if anything? I'm all ears, I'm happy to learn. :)

Yours is fine. :) I use CIS on and off together with NVT ERP or Appguard on my family desktop. It was a very pleasant experience with lots of alerts (yeah I like alerts :D).

N

NOLF92

Thread author
Added EaseUSTodo Backup Free 9.0 to my "Backup & Restore" config. I can't even believe my eyes at how high quality of a product it is for $0.00. Has anyone else tested this product, and walked away happy?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

all is covered

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Hi,:) @NOLF92 .

I am afraid that Comodo Internet Security (CIS) could have some incompatibility issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE), even after MBAE is whitelisted in the shellcode injection protection of CIS. My experiment on this problem is described in the following thread:

Question - Incompatibility Issue or A Feature of Comodo AutoSandbox?

I am not sure whether this problem could be reproduced in every system. It is mentioned in the official forum of Malwarebytes that:
New Comodo Bug. We found a second new bug in Comodo which may cause conflict with MBAE and result in browsers not being able to open correctly. It seems when MBAE injects after Comodo there is no problem, but if Comodo injects after MBAE then Comodo doesn't handle the chained hooks correctly. A fresh re-install of MBAE might temporarily solve the problem (as it sometimes makes MBAE handle the API hooks after Comodo) but the definite bug fix must come from Comodo.

I think this implies that whether the compatibility issues exists could vary from case to case. So maybe you could also do some tests by yourself to verify the compatibility.:) Please also pay attention to the compatibility of CIS and Zemana AntiLogger. By the way, I think "ZAM Anti-Keylogger" should be revised to "Zemana AntiLogger", since ZAM refers to Zemana AntiMalware.;)

N

NOLF92

Thread author
Hi,:) @NOLF92 .

I am afraid that Comodo Internet Security (CIS) could have some incompatibility issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE), even after MBAE is whitelisted in the shellcode injection protection of CIS. My experiment on this problem is described in the following thread:

Question - Incompatibility Issue or A Feature of Comodo AutoSandbox?

I am not sure whether this problem could be reproduced in every system. It is mentioned in the official forum of Malwarebytes that:

I think this implies that whether the compatibility issues exists could vary from case to case. So maybe you could also do some tests by yourself to verify the compatibility.:) Please also pay attention to the compatibility of CIS and Zemana AntiLogger. By the way, I think "ZAM Anti-Keylogger" should be revised to "Zemana AntiLogger", since ZAM refers to Zemana AntiMalware.;)

Much appreciated for your feedback. Where would the issue come in with CIS and Zemana Antilogger? I wasn't under the impression that CIS had any anti-keylogging capabilities, therefore I'm not understanding where, or how, they might be conflicting. In regards to the MBAE compatibility issues with CIS, that's unfortunate. It may be as you suggest, on a case to case basis, but I will take your research seriously and look into it.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Much appreciated for your feedback. Where would the issue come in with CIS and Zemana Antilogger? I wasn't under the impression that CIS had any anti-keylogging capabilities, therefore I'm not understanding where, or how, they might be conflicting. In regards to the MBAE compatibility issues with CIS, that's unfortunate. It may be as you suggest, on a case to case basis, but I will take your research seriously and look into it.

CIS itself with proper configuration is able to alert any unrecognized keylogger that is trying to install.

You can refer to my Config post #31 below by @hjlbx :
CMLew Test Config (Old Laptop)
He means CIS HIPS will alert to install of Unrecognized keylogger.

If you are using Paranoid Mode after Training Mode, then CIS will most definitely alert to all actions.

Virtual Desktop has virtual keyboard like Kaspersky and Bitdefender. It works against keyloggers I tested it against.

CIS doesn't have greatest Phishing or HTML Post data protections. In fact, virtually none.

Anti-keylogger with CIS is over-kill, but if you want it then KeyScrambler works very well with CIS. When you use KeyScrambler in Virtual Desktop you must first exit it on desktop before entering Virtual Desktop. After entering Virtual Desktop just restart KeyScrambler.

I am not sure about Zemana. I don't use it because I have 64 bit system. Zemana has problems with Microsoft Patch Guard on 64 bit systems.

Another thing is CIS can also be configured to protect ransomware (refer to my config post #29 by @hjlbx )

N

NOLF92

Thread author
Okay, so:

Dropping Zemana Antilogger, because apparently CIS HIPS works wonders in blocking keylogger installers (plus, I'm on paranoid mode). I may consider replacing it with KeyScrambler, as per Umbra's "if you insist" pose, but then again, I just might not. Trying to figure out how to configure the anti-executable config that Umbra is talking about which is helpful in blocking ransomware.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Okay, so:

Dropping Zemana Antilogger, because apparently CIS HIPS works wonders in blocking keylogger installers (plus, I'm on paranoid mode). I may consider replacing it with KeyScrambler, as per Umbra's "if you insist" pose, but then again, I just might not. Trying to figure out how to configure the anti-executable config that Umbra is talking about which is helpful in blocking ransomware.

Hope this two threads helps. :)
Comodo Internet Security v8 Setup/configuration thread (Setting Only)
Question - Comodo Internet Security v8 Setup/configuration thread

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@NOLF92

I have ever tested CIS with the test tool released by Zemana:

Zemana Antilogger Keylogger Leak Test

I found that, when test tool, key-sim.exe, was set to Unknown in the File List of CIS (this step is not essential for you since you are using the paranoid mode:D), then it would trigger a HIPS alert when it tried to access the keyboard.;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
what do you mean by account password protection? As in the login screen to Windows? Thank you for your feedback.

It's quite self-explanatory:
upload_2016-1-5_12-18-6.png

Updating your Config: [MUST READ] How to update your security config without creating a new thread! If you get an error, check that ALL required fields are filled in.

For Windows 7: Security, Privacy and Accounts Help
Security, privacy & accounts - Windows Help

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Okay, so:

One question you have to ask yourself: How prone are you to get infected with Ransomware and other infections like those?

CIS HIPS can be a good approach, granted you fully configure it properly, because if you dont, you are in for some surprises.

If you do not really see yourself getting infected based on what you use your system for, its best to just keep a simple config instead of overloading it with possible protection which will not do anything unless you actively look for infections.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very strong configuration at all.

Overall CIS is already a full pack of variety components that you can tweak, + it takes overall rely on user decision based. Exploits mitigation are not jut ordinary way of concept cause it deals to optimize and protect even hardware so its important to take a look for possible incompatibility.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.