Noob from Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara34

Thread author
Dec 3, 2013
Just found this forum this afternoon. In looking for a way to fix a problem, I d/l'd a malware remover which told me I had 2608 threats, but when I scanned with two other/different programs, they told me I had zero. So I thought I'd do some investigation to see if I can get a clue. Not overly computer savvy but comfortable enough for most of my uses/needs. I'm retired, have been for seven years, and spend most of my day fiddlin' around on here. I suppose in years to come, our PCs and laptops will be replaced by more mobile devices like tablets, etc., but for now I enjoy my laptop.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum. Which malware remover was it that showed 2608 threats? And what were the two other programs you scanned with? I use Malwarebytes free as a 2nd opinion scanner to my primary AV. It is very good at what it does, which is to detect and remove threats to your system. If you haven't used it before, now may be a good time to.

Barbara34

Thread author
Dec 3, 2013
aztony said:
Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum. Which malware remover was it that showed 2608 threats? And what were the two other programs you scanned with? I use Malwarebytes free as a 2nd opinion scanner to my primary AV. It is very good at what it does, which is to detect and remove threats to your system. If you haven't used it before, now may be a good time to.

Well, I'll be!! I sure didn't expect such a nice reply to my intro. Thanks so much.

It was Spy Hunter. I really didn't want to pay for yet another utility program, since I already have System Mechanic, and when I d/'d it, I thought it was free. It quickly became clear it was not, but I let it run its course to see what it would come up with. After I sent a question to another computer group, I saw a guy had mentioned this site. So that's how I got here.

Here I saw a recommendation of adwcleaner so d/l'd it also and it ran in a very very short time and found lots of adware. I told it to clean them all, which I probably shouldn't have done, but not being overly savvy, I decided to give it a go. Now I'm on a reboot and we'll see if I killed something.

Thank you for your recommendation. I'll go get it.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Barbara34 said:
aztony said:

Well, I'll be!! I sure didn't expect such a nice reply to my intro. Thanks so much.

It was Spy Hunter. I really didn't want to pay for yet another utility program, since I already have System Mechanic, and when I d/'d it, I thought it was free. It quickly became clear it was not, but I let it run its course to see what it would come up with. After I sent a question to another computer group, I saw a guy had mentioned this site. So that's how I got here.

Here I saw a recommendation of adwcleaner so d/l'd it also and it ran in a very very short time and found lots of adware. I told it to clean them all, which I probably shouldn't have done, but not being overly savvy, I decided to give it a go. Now I'm on a reboot and we'll see if I killed something.

Thank you for your recommendation. I'll go get it.
Adwcleaner is a good tool, but primarily for techs and advanced users. It has been known to cause issues in the wrong hands. I'm hoping you don't experience any issues when your system is restarted. Yes, get MBAM free version at the link I included, and keep it on your system. I run a weekly scan with mine. Good luck, and your welcome.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
You will get the help you need here. This is a very knowledgeable, intelligent and diverse group.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwaeTips!

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips! for assistance on your problem please read this thread.

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
@ Barbara34 welcome to your new home filled with very computer savvy friendly members who are always happy to lend a hand.. :D

I

illumination

Hell and Welcome to MalwareTips, as the others stated, you will find the knowledge you seek between all the members of this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.