Basic Security Noobshots Security Config

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Why OS File Reputation disabled? It can avoid possible infections.

I'm not surprised about your recent malware infection.

Only MalwareBytes as main protection? At least enable WD, or choose a Free AV, such as Avast Free, Kaspersky Free, Panda Free, Avira Free, etc.

Add ZAM Free.

Add Sandboxie Free (and use it while browsing to have more protection).

Why not extensions? Add HTTPS Everywhere.

Follow suggestion about backups by @brod56

Thanks for sharing.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Noobshot: I tagged temporally as Caution Your config, since there ins no image system backup solution in Your system, and SmartScreen (OS File Reputation) is disabled.

Also, as @JM Security said, MBAM Premium probably is not a enough real-time strong protection...

You can add also: EmsiSoft Emergency Kit, ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser, as on demands scanners.

For Image System Backup may consider: Macrium Reflect or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable.

Thanks for sharing :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You are on Windows 10, and Windows Defender is enabled by default, so most likely you have it running as real-time protection. But it's good to state that clearly, as the other posters have mentioned. You should turn OS File Reputation back on, as others already mentioned.

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
Add Sandboxie Free (and use it while browsing to have more protection).
Note that Firefox Quantum does not work properly inside Sandboxie without changing Firefox security settings, at least when I tested it recently

If I were you, for real-time protection, I would have Avast Free + Malwarebytes Premium or Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Premium, or if you want free protection just Avast Free with tweaked settings (for example PuP detection, warn when downloading low-reputation files), along with the other recommendations here (backups, on-demand scanners, OS file reputation)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: harlan4096

Noobshot

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2017
Just want to clear a few things up and ask a question.

Windows Defender has always been on, so that was my mistake on here, posting wrong info. I use Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Premium and AVG Free. My malware attack, wasn't really an attack (at least I don't think it did anything malicious) Because it was a java file that I used to play a certain game.

Now for the question, this may sound stupid but what is and how do I turn on OS File Reputation?

*UPDATED*

OS File reputation is "Windows 10 Smartscreen"? which is now turned on to "warn".
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is now my ODS. I was using ZAM but didn't like that I could not set it to scan both my SSD and HDD in one scan (Unless I'm doing something wrong), so I switched to EMSISOFT Emergency Kit, it can scan every storage device on my PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Update Windows 10 to the current build (16299.125)
Windows Defender has always been on, so that was my mistake on here, posting wrong info. I use Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Premium and AVG Free. My malware attack, wasn't really an attack (at least I don't think it did anything malicious) Because it was a java file that I used to play a certain game.

*UPDATED*
OS File reputation is "Windows 10 Smartscreen"? which is now turned on to "warn".
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is now my ODS. I was using ZAM but didn't like that I could not set it to scan both my SSD and HDD in one scan (Unless I'm doing something wrong), so I switched to EMSISOFT Emergency Kit, it can scan every storage device on my PC.
Please edit your original thread to reflect these changes.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.