Battle NordVPN or Windscribe

Chausko

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2018
Hello, please help me decide between NordVPN and Windscribe...I using VPN on Windows notebook 24/7...Sometimes torrenting. Beacuse I using VPN 24/7 I need perfect speed...Which provider is better in speed? Thank you.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
That's great! Sounds like a great product. Like I said, I haven't tried it and I am not trying to trash-talk about your software, this is my first comment on this thread. But if you're a dev for the program, that sounds like a really agressive marketing strategy.

Unlike most other VPNs, we don't have a "marketing strategy". We spend money on development and making the best product, not paying $50/signup to VPN review sites to rank us #1. We're also not hypocrites.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I think Nord is better at accessing geo-restricted media content (particularly BBC iPlayer) whereas Windscribe struggles.

Windscribe is usually cheaper though- in the past there have been very reasonable lifetime deals on 3rd party websites such as stacksocial.

I have used both, and both are good in their own ways. If the iPlayer issue could be sorted out I would vote for Windscribe.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Your 'marketing strategy' is blasting and lying about about competition. The way you behave on social media is just childish and real company shouldn't be doing this. Build your company on success and not playing stupid games.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Your 'marketing strategy' is blasting and lying about about competition. The way you behave on social media is just childish and real company shouldn't be doing this. Build your company on success and not playing stupid games.
To be fair almost all of them accuse each other of the same violations and shadiness. Though I’m not a fan of the meme posts, I find Windscribe is actually less shady than most.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Calling competition 'stupid [edited]' on social media is unprofessional for any company. Check your twitter and even your blog. All you do is blasting everyone else.
Make your own blog and be 'funny'

Last edited by a moderator:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Personally I found Nord to be overly complex starting with the interface & the servers (I don't need that many servers) numbered to the degree I gave my licence to my son for Netflix - I use Windscribe mainly for Netflix on 4 TV's which usually performs flawlessly on USA servers & Toronto - However: One licence I had expired & had several emails from them how much they missed me etc, frankly not the behavior I would expect which is a company that knows just about everything about you & I found just plain silly & borderline security risk, my opinion I will never use Windscribe for anything other than Netflix.

I now for my PC's I use Mullvad which wipes the floor in speed security & simplicity will every other VPN including Perfect Privacy & AIR. By far the best.

Edit: I've been to Canada a few times & their humor is a little different to some (maybe like some UK) but they really IMHO need to grow up somewhat, security isn't a joke & the flippant attitude they shows is disturbing for essentially a security company.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@windscribe thank you for taking the time of answering to me. I searched only about your software and indeed it looks interesting. I have a few questions that are not intentioned to argue, but to be informed for my next purchase, since my VPN subscription expires this year. I see you're located in Canada, part of the Five Eyes. Nevertheless I see you keep no logs, but you do keep some information like user databases, connection time and bandwith use. This leads me to think that if a federal agency wanted to know if X e-mail is Windscribe user and if he or she was connected at a several time/day of the year, you could and would give them this information, is this correct?

Also, what kind of information does ROBERT collect? About the sites and personal information?

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
@windscribe thank you for taking the time of answering to me. I searched only about your software and indeed it looks interesting. I have a few questions that are not intentioned to argue, but to be informed for my next purchase, since my VPN subscription expires this year. I see you're located in Canada, part of the Five Eyes. Nevertheless I see you keep no logs, but you do keep some information like user databases, connection time and bandwith use. This leads me to think that if a federal agency wanted to know if X e-mail is Windscribe user and if he or she was connected at a several time/day of the year, you could and would give them this information, is this correct?

Also, what kind of information does ROBERT collect? About the sites and personal information?

In order not to restate myself, I'll just link you to articles I wrote on these subjects.

Logs: Windscribe Logging Explained (in detail)
How ROBERT works: How R.O.B.E.R.T. works

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've been using Windscribe for about a year and am very happy with it. I consistently get high speeds and like that there is no CPU use when browsing the web, unlike most VPNs where there is a little CPU use.

The only issue I have, is that on some of my computers, it has trouble reconnecting to a server after being in sleep mode and I have to manually click the On/Off switch, twice to to connect. But that's something I need to talk to technical support about and doesn't worry me too much.

Last edited:

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
I've been using Windscribe for about a year and am very happy with it. I consistently get high speeds and like that there is no CPU use when browsing the web, unlike most VPNs where there is a little CPU use.

The only issue I have, is that on some of my computers, it has trouble reconnecting to a server after being in sleep mode and I have to manually click the On/Off switch, twice to to connect. But that's something I need to talk to technical support about and doesn't worry me too much.
Send a debug log immediately after this happens, and email support. We'll take a look.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@windscribe Garry is a heartless robot please fire him

1565786573751.png

EDIT: WOW the speed... I'm using the free trial and the servers speed in south america are much more faster than NordVPN's... God save us all. I still don't see the option to choose servers according to their function, like P2P, which I believe then it doesn't have?

Last edited:

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
@windscribe Garry is a heartless robot please fire him

View attachment 219914

EDIT: WOW the speed... I'm using the free trial and the servers speed in south america are much more faster than NordVPN's... God save us all. I still don't see the option to choose servers according to their function, like P2P, which I believe then it doesn't have?

Just torrent anywhere except locations with the no p2p logo. It may still work there, we just advise against it.

1565797942727.png

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I've been using WS for over a year here and I can only recommend it.
Before settling with WS I tried 2-3 others (including NordVPN). I found them to be slower (software wise) + sluggish overall.

Above all I like the fact that WS does not waste money on some shitty TOP10 sites that serve no other purpose than to sell you VPN which may not be V"P"N at all. Internet is full of "no log policies" getting proven wrong.
Can somebody tell me why PureVPN is still in business when they lied to their users? Does not make sense at all...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.