Battle NordVPN or Windscribe

Chausko

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2018
Hello, please help me decide between NordVPN and Windscribe...I using VPN on Windows notebook 24/7...Sometimes torrenting. Beacuse I using VPN 24/7 I need perfect speed...Which provider is better in speed? Thank you.

Chausko

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2018
I've been using WS for over a year here and I can only recommend it.
Before settling with WS I tried 2-3 others (including NordVPN). I found them to be slower (software wise) + sluggish overall.

Above all I like the fact that WS does not waste money on some shitty TOP10 sites that serve no other purpose than to sell you VPN which may not be V"P"N at all. Internet is full of "no log policies" getting proven wrong.
Can somebody tell me why PureVPN is still in business when they lied to their users? Does not make sense at all...
Yes, I read some articles about PureVPN...I dont know, why this company still exist...About Windscribe I never heard, but its positive because ads about VPN is so aggressive...

Reactions: roger_m

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
They exist because they own a bunch of VPN review sites like vpnranks.com

See more: Is PureVPN Legit? Proof that PureVPN Bought Every VPN Review – VPNscam.com

Funny enough, in their "review" of WIndscribe they say we keep connection logs and Canada is a bad jurisdiction, you know, because of the whole "5 eyes" bullshit.

Didn't stop them from cooperating with the FBI thou, even though they're not in a "5 eyes " country.

Chausko

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2018
They exist because they own a bunch of VPN review sites like vpnranks.com

See more: Is PureVPN Legit? Proof that PureVPN Bought Every VPN Review – VPNscam.com

Funny enough, in their "review" of WIndscribe they say we keep connection logs and Canada is a bad jurisdiction, you know, because of the whole "5 eyes" bullshit.

Didn't stop them from cooperating with the FBI thou, even though they're not in a "5 eyes " country.
I only believe you and PIA...About no logs policy...

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
  • Auto-connect to a preferred region - Windscribe has this I only see "connect to recent location"
  • Connect on insecure wireless connections - Windscribe has this I don't see the option
  • R.O.B.E.R.T. = any way to configure it right from the app and not the website?

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
  • The most recently connected location is very likely to be your preferred location. Most people don't move around contents on daily basis.
  • This feature exists in our 2.0 apps, which are currently only iOS and Android. This is being added to the Wind/Mac apps in the upcoming update, along with a suite of other features like split routing (network/per-app), MAC spoofing, and a few other things.
  • Has to be managed through our website

Chausko

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2018
  • The most recently connected location is very likely to be your preferred location. Most people don't move around contents on daily basis.
  • This feature exists in our 2.0 apps, which are currently only iOS and Android. This is being added to the Wind/Mac apps in the upcoming update, along with a suite of other features like split routing (network/per-app), MAC spoofing, and a few other things.
When dropping Windows app? Or beta?

Reactions: Threadripper

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
In a few weeks we should have a beta.

1565805507491.png

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013

Hey Windscribe, of course your product is very fast and giving solid performance. I am using it on my pc since last 2 years. But there is problem in my android device. In my Redmi Note 5 pro ( 6gb ram and 128 gb storage), windscribe alwasy gives me a problem. I dont know whether it is a bug or not but when I turn on windscribe in mobile app, after 4 to 5 minutes it automatically get turn off. Then I need to turned it on manually. And this is very weird.

Reactions: Threadripper

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Holy cricket, MAC spoofing! Is this coming in the very next update? I would buy even when NordVPN subscription is still alive.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
Indeed, this is gonna be a MAJOR update. We've been working on it for the last 8 months. It will also feature a "Windscribe-free" mode, where you can use the app without an account with your own OpenVPN configs. It works with all competitor VPNs, so in theory you could use Nord servers with our app, and use all the features of it. Except why ruin a good thing?

1565824942448.png

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Disable battery optimization for the app. Your OS is likely killing it to save batteries.

I never use Battery optimization as this phone having 4000mah which is already more than enough in without battery saving or optimization . And problem is only for Windscribe and not for other VPN.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I never use Battery optimization as this phone having 4000mah which is already more than enough in without battery saving or optimization . And problem is only for Windscribe and not for other VPN.
Recent versions of MIUI include built in battery optimisation for apps, which works even when your phone is not in power saving mode. You can however, disable this individually for any app. Go to Settings -> Installed Apps and then select an app. If you scroll down, you will see the option Battery Saver. Click on it and select "No restrictions," to disable it for that app.

computer man

Level 2
Sep 26, 2019
Personally I wouldn't touch either of them. VPNscam has an interesting article on Nord on their main page. And as for Windscribe, free VPN's are always a scam as this site explains pretty well. And even better, Windscribe openly admits to spying on you and recording all your data on their "Data Collection" page.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm using NordVPN and here are something to share.

NordVPN is great provided you get a solid connection. Connecting to a server or changing to a new server many times can go into the minutes and many times you don't get connected unless you restart your phone........ very frustrating

Their double VPN for asia side (HK to Taiwan) has disappeared lately

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Holy cricket, MAC spoofing! Is this coming in the very next update? I would buy even when NordVPN subscription is still alive.
FYI on MAC spoofing

For Windows 10

There's a feature to randomize your MAC address on many PC/laptop (older ones likely don't have it). Or you can follow the methods mentioned below

For android phones

You can root your device and install some apps to change the MAC address

In Android 10 only

MAC address randomization is on by default

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Windscribe openly admits to spying on you and recording all your data on their "Data Collection" page.
They don't.
When You Use Our Service
When you use Windscribe, we keep the following data associated with your account:

Total amount of bytes transferred in a 30 day period. Bandwidth reset date is in your "My Account" section.
Timestamp of your last activity on the Windscribe network.
This data is used to enforce free tier limitations, prevent abuse and weed out inactive accounts.

The following data is NOT stored:

Historical record of VPN sessions
Source IP
Sites you visited
We are firm believer that one's browsing history should be taken to one's grave.

When You Are Actively Connected to a Server
For the duration of your connection the following is stored in server's memory. This data is immediately discarded when you disconnect:

OpenVPN/IKEv2 username
Time of connection
Amount of data transferred
The following data is stored in a central location:

Number of parallel connections at any given time to prevent rampant abuse and account sharing.
A counter is incremented that stores total number of bytes downloaded/uploaded in a 30 day period.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.