Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
As you know, when the Avira AntiVir installation completes, it starts a wizard. In one of the steps in that wizard, you will get something similar to the one below:
HhIAU.png

Which one is your choice?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Easy answer ...... Secure start .... just disable other not need it programs for autostarting and you should get a good boot up time.

D

Deleted member 178

in any security apps i used asking me a secure start (Norton, EAM, etc..) i always select it. you may feel a slightly longer boot but you will be protected against MBR malwares. a small loss for a big gain.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Enabling it will make Avira load as soon as possible in the boot process, so it will be able to scan files and drivers as they are loaded by the operating system. Strongly advise enabling this feature.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Jack said:
Easy answer ...... Secure start .... just disable other not need it programs for autostarting and you should get a good boot up time.

Soluto Calculated the time with secure start, it takes about 3 and half minutes to complete the boot process. Without the secure start, it takes less than 2 minutes. But I feel secure with the secure start because It may catch a malicious file before the virus puts my PC in the garbage :D

D

Deleted member 178

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Soluto Calculated the time with secure start, it takes about 3 and half minutes to complete the boot process. Without the secure start, it takes less than 2 minutes. But I feel secure with the secure start because It may catch a malicious file before the virus puts my PC in the garbage :D

and soluto slow your boot because it start with windows to do his job ! paradoxl no? :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
umbrapolaris said:

and soluto slow your boot because it start with windows to do his job ! paradoxl no? :D

You are right, But I am confused to remove it or not! It actually takes less than 5 Seconds to start.

network86 said:
I would enable secure start. An extra few seconds booting is nothing for extra protection.

You got it a lot right!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Enabling Secure Start would only delay normal computer use by a few seconds.

If you leave your computer on all the time, or use the Sleep function (like I do), you don't really notice the delay since the computer is already passed the Secure Start stage.

D

Deleted member 178

You are right, But I am confused to remove it or not! It actually takes less than 5 Seconds to start.

now that you know what slowed you, you can remove it. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Secure Start is a must since its a vital protection against viruses running in a startup.

If you feel to change through Normal Start you can run the wizard again by command prompt.

Code:
cd c:\Program Files
cd Avira
cd AntiVir Desktop
avconfig.exe /WIZ

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Secure Start is a must since its a vital protection against viruses running in a startup.

If you feel to change through Normal Start you can run the wizard again by command prompt.

Code:
cd c:\Program Files
cd Avira
cd AntiVir Desktop
avconfig.exe /WIZ

Thanks for this. Can you give me the method to update Avira by Command Prompt?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Managed to get a research about it and its simple.

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\update.exe" dm="0"

The value zero would give a full updater window

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.