Norton 2013 line officially released

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Grub

Thread author
Jun 7, 2011
Announcement on the Norton Community forums:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/The-NEW-Norton-Internet-Security-and-Norton-AntiVirus-Have-Been/td-p/796674

Offline installer for NIS 2013: http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2013/20.1.1/NISNAV/US/NIS-ESD-20-1-1-2-EN.exe

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The online help files weren't working, so I knew they were up to something.

Upgrading to Norton AV 2013. :D

3QoM2.png

D

Deleted member 178

So Earth, how the resources usage and scan speed?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For 2012, resource usage is unnoticeable, scan speed is medium.

For 2013, I'll need more time to evaluate.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the update Downloading now
Hope it does not crash my games as it did with norton 2012
will first try in vmware though

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
So have they changed it to look like Metro?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Upgrade went smoothly.
> Downloaded
> Installed
> Rebooted
> No need to re-configure (but I needed to download the Full updates ~160MB again)
> Uninstall Norton ID Safe, since you get no choice.
> Rebooted

loveboy_lion said:

Bad Norton for changing my search engine to ASK Jeeves, McLovin you might like one.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, you might like to use ASK Jeeves, the ultimate ask-a-question search engine.

McLovin said:
Having a blonde moment, that meaning?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Awesome, Going to have to give it a nice run sometime this week as I always loved Symantec's Products after 09'

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I like this time of the year when AV's bring out their new versions.
looking froward to the review.

P

Plexx

Is the link for offline installer working? stops at 2% every single retry. Used Chrome, FF, IE9 and no luck.
Nothing else downloading in the background.

Attempted to download something else to see if it is my connection and it is not.

Any ideas?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Better integration of Power Eraser, get those undetected samples removed.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I will install NIS 2013 without the Norton toolbar (it made my Chrome lag and crash).

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
Not sure I understand "you get no choice for ID Safe" mine is still locally stored with the option to sync online. I would like to sync online so I can access logins with my Galaxy S3 but have not pulled the trigger yet since I'm afraid I would not be able to go back to local storage if needed. Am I missing something?

Earth said:
Upgrade went smoothly.
> Downloaded
> Installed
> Rebooted
> No need to re-configure (but I needed to download the Full updates ~160MB again)
> Uninstall Norton ID Safe, since you get no choice.
> Rebooted

loveboy_lion said:

Bad Norton for changing my search engine to ASK Jeeves, McLovin you might like one.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Should have been more clear. Norton ID Safe gets installed whether you want it or not. So if you don't want it, you have to manually uninstall it afterwards.

Personally I don't like using my Password Manager on a mobile device for many reasons.

mhartsellm said:
Not sure I understand "you get no choice for ID Safe" mine is still locally stored with the option to sync online.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
Got it! Probably good advice about mobile device as well, just got it recently and enjoy playing around

Earth said:
Should have been more clear. Norton ID Safe gets installed whether you want it or not. So if you don't want it, you have to manually uninstall it afterwards.

Personally I don't like using my Password Manager on a mobile device for many reasons.

mhartsellm said:
Not sure I understand "you get no choice for ID Safe" mine is still locally stored with the option to sync online.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
mhartsellm said:
Got it! Probably good advice about mobile device as well, just got it recently and enjoy playing around

Earth said:

mhartsellm said:

Norton is the best AV of the world!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bold statement, as Symantec/Norton allow FBI malware (not to be confused with Ransomware).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.