Battle Norton 360 or Bitdefender Total Security?

Compare list
Norton 360
Bitdefender Total Security
In-depth Comparison

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nothing really different to me. Actually still has the same bug where game mode starts when Battlenet or the Epic Game Store are running. Which they say is not reproducible. Oh except they took out the optimizers and safe files. I hated the optimizer and like safe files...so a wash.
Safe Files was indeed interesting... Optimizer was snake oil. But not really a big loss though. I am still looking forward to the day they release an Application Control module. That's the day I'll say BitDefender surpassed Kaspersky.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Bitdefender is written in asm, programs in that language are ESET, Kaspersky(I'm not %100 sure),etc. they don't need to rewrite their engine from scratch, they need to improve, they need to look closely to Photon Technology plus in Bitdefender you find AVC, B-Have, Machine learning all the tools you need for not depending entirely on signature.
Their AV engine is starting to be too much nowadays. It consists of 2-3K files with a total size of 800-900 mb. Because in the case of an issue, old engine will have to be restored, Bitdefender creates 2-3 folders x 800-900 mb. On every update it writes new files to a new folder and then copies all unmodified files to complete the engine. If you receive 10 updates today, it will do it 10 times.
This whole process is very intensive on disk.
I believe the high memory usage also comes from these “plug-ins” (that’s how the definitions folder is called) being kept in memory.

This is what deters me from using Bitdefender long-term, as well as every BD-based product.
In that sense Bitdefender needs a redesign or “rewrite”. Everything else is fine.
It’s not written in ASM (that would be a madness). Its product files are standard C++ DLL libraries, just like any other AV. The interface looks like it’s C++ with HTML and CSS parser.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.