Battle Norton 360 vs Bitdefender

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Both Norton 360 and Bitdefender Total Security are reputable antivirus software options, and both have their own strengths and advantages. Ultimately, the choice between the two will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

Here are some factors to consider when comparing Norton 360 and Bitdefender Total Security:

1. Protection: Both Norton and Bitdefender offer excellent protection against malware, viruses, and other online threats. They use advanced detection techniques, real-time scanning, and behavioral analysis to identify and block malicious software. Both software also provide features like firewall protection and web browsing protection.

2. Performance: Both Norton and Bitdefender are known for their minimal impact on system performance. However, Bitdefender is often praised for its lightweight nature and efficient resource usage, which makes it a good choice for laptops with limited resources like your 8GB RAM laptops.

3. Features: Norton 360 and Bitdefender Total Security offer a range of additional features beyond basic antivirus protection. Norton 360 includes features like a password manager, secure VPN, cloud backup, and parental controls. Bitdefender Total Security offers similar features, including a password manager, VPN, file encryption, and webcam protection. It's worth comparing the specific features of each software to see which align better with your needs.

4. User Interface: The user interface is a matter of personal preference. Both Norton and Bitdefender have user-friendly interfaces, but they have different designs and layouts. It might be helpful to try out the trial versions of both software to see which one you find more intuitive and visually appealing.

5. Pricing: Pricing is another important factor to consider. The cost of Norton 360 and Bitdefender Total Security can vary depending on the number of devices you need to protect and the duration of the subscription. It's worth comparing the pricing plans of both software to determine which one offers better value for your needs.

Ultimately, both Norton 360 and Bitdefender Total Security are reliable antivirus solutions. It's recommended to read reviews, compare features, and consider your specific requirements before making a decision.

Reactions: Wrecker4923

Guilhermesene

Level 1
Dec 19, 2023
Well, in my opinion it's all a matter of analyzing the pros and cons.

Norton is extremely light, however, it depends more on the internet. Bitdefender is more powerful, has better offline detection, however, it is prone to more bugs.

Now if it was just between these two options, I would go with Bitdefender without a doubt.

It all depends on your needs, if there was a third option I would recommend Kaspersky.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Consider Cyberlock with Microsoft defender, Bitdefender is excellent, Kaspersky more for the money if you insist on purchasing your own, serial cart has better prices than eithers home page

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Consider Cyberlock with Microsoft defender, Bitdefender is excellent, Kaspersky more for the money if you insist on purchasing your own, serial cart has better prices than eithers home page
I'd say Kaspersky Free is great too. Your missing out only on Firewall

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
If you don't mind looking at 16 running processes and fluctuating memory anywhere between 235MB to ~500MB of memory on an 8GB system, go with Bitdefender. They do have 30 day fully functional trial versions.
If you want something more stable, with fewer processes, go with Kaspersky Standard or F-Secure Total. Below is Kaspersky Plus on this 8GB RAM laptop. I have no recent experience with Norton 360.
kasp processes.jpg

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If you want something more stable, with fewer processes
I've had zero stability issues with Kasperksy. I have no idea how much RAM it using on my PC, as I've never checked. I don't care about RAM usage, or the number of processes an antivirus has, because neither matter to me. Currently RAM usage on my PC with 32GB of RAM is at 29%. Even if an antivirus was using several gigs, I'd still have plenty of free RAM.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I've had zero stability issues with Kasperksy. I have no idea how much RAM it using on my PC, as I've never checked. I don't care about RAM usage, or the number of processes an antivirus has, because neither matter to me. Currently RAM usage on my PC with 32GB of RAM is at 29%. Even if an antivirus was using several gigs, I'd still have plenty of free RAM.
Understood, but OP mentioned 8GB or RAM, and on devices like this, any bit of help can matter. Otherwise, on 12GB on up devices, I agree, but personally, I still don't like seeing 16 processes running on my PC, even if the excuse by Bitdefender is to help spread the load across more processes. I also agree with @Guilhermesene BD is prone to more bugs, issues, than I want to deal with, or put up with. So in that case for me, less is best.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
If you don't mind looking at 16 running processes and fluctuating memory anywhere between 235MB to ~500MB of memory on an 8GB system, go with Bitdefender. They do have 30 day fully functional trial versions.
If you want something more stable, with fewer processes, go with Kaspersky Standard or F-Secure Total. Below is Kaspersky Plus on this 8GB RAM laptop. I have no recent experience with Norton 360.
View attachment 280504
On Bitdefender, the only service that consume a lot of ram is one bdservicehost out of 10 bdservicehost. Other bitdefender services barely consume anything more than 10 - 15MB.

Kaspersky do consume a lot of ram as well. Look at the actual ram usage in processor explorer, it will consume 300MB - 500MB. Antivirus like ESET and Kaspersky do hide their true ram usage from the task manager.

I am using Bitdefender for 42 days now and I still not run into any issues at all beside bitdefender safe search feature hasn't been working for years now, but now working in firefox, chrome, and edge.

Last edited:

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I’m currently using Norton 360 but it’s about to expire. I’m considering switching to BitDefender Total Security. Is there any advantage? Is bitdefender better? I have two laptops with 8GB ram.
To be honest, I would say that both Bitdefender, Norton, F-secure and Kaspersky have kept my computers clean. I don't know how you use your machine, but for normal use I think the ones I mention are more than enough for you including , Eset, Avast etc. We, myself included, have a habit of over-thinking how secure the machine needs to be. Take a backup or more every week and I think you can use most of the ones mentioned. ;)

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Is it possible to get Norton 360 trial without card info..?

I believe that is one of the things that has stopped me from trying it out.
I have made a couple posts in Giveaways and Promotions regarding Norton 60 and 90 day giveaways, last time were in June. I trialed each on different laptops and can vouch that they did NOT require a credit card for the trials. Guessing you could go back to those posts from June, and give it a try. Got nothing to lose. ✌️

Quite happy with the slimmed down Gamers Version. Quiet and very very fast. Really notice a big difference when watching tv over the internet in full screen. ✌️

Gms44

Thread author
Dec 25, 2023
Thank you guys for the advice. Since Norton isn’t causing me any problems and works easily, especially for my wife, I’m going to stay with it. The reason I specifically asked about BitDefender was that I got a subscription from a friend so no cost to me. However, I like Norton‘s unlimited vpn on my phones and tablets when I travel where BitDefender gives only 200mb data on their free vpn.
And Norton is only using 230mb ram so that’s okay

Guilhermesene

Level 1
Dec 19, 2023
Thank you guys for the advice. Since Norton isn’t causing me any problems and works easily, especially for my wife, I’m going to stay with it. The reason I specifically asked about BitDefender was that I got a subscription from a friend so no cost to me. However, I like Norton‘s unlimited vpn on my phones and tablets when I travel where BitDefender gives only 200mb data on their free vpn.
And Norton is only using 230mb ram so that’s okay
Glad for your feedback and hope all is well and safe on your devices 🙂 Just a curiosity, it seems to me that Norton on your wife's device is consuming more RAM than usual. I can't say if anything has changed in Norton in recent years as I use Kaspersky Premium with settings adjusted by intrusion prevention, but I remember that Norton has always consumed very little RAM (less than 100mb by default), perhaps you should check what is causing Norton to consume more memory than the default (I don't want to panic you, it's just a finding from the experience I've had with the Norton product).

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Norton X 1,000,000.

BitDefender is rubbish from experience, sure they may good signatures but my experience with it I really don't like it and I have no idea how they win AV tests every year because I could not even get Total Security to install and work on a fresh install.

Installed BD Total security on a new Windows 11 box for a friend, wouldn't activate and refused to start protection, then on uninstall removed Windows Firewall which couldn't be fixed by anything, only a full reset or fresh install would return Windows to a working state. Not impressed, wasted hours trying to find a fix and nothing but a full reset would work.

Guilhermesene

Level 1
Dec 19, 2023
Norton X 1,000,000.

BitDefender is rubbish from experience, sure they may good signatures but my experience with it I really don't like it and I have no idea how they win AV tests every year because I could not even get Total Security to install and work on a fresh install.

Installed BD Total security on a new Windows 11 box for a friend, wouldn't activate and refused to start protection, then on uninstall removed Windows Firewall which couldn't be fixed by anything, only a full reset or fresh install would return Windows to a working state. Not impressed, wasted hours trying to find a fix and nothing but a full reset would work.
Well, I think only if he uses the trial period of each product to really see which one is best on his computer. It's worth remembering that each AV behaves differently from one another and also works differently at times. I can't go against you because it's the experience you've had with the BD product and in your particular case you haven't had the success you expect. Well, in my case, I'm not using BD at the moment, but when I was using it I never had any problems similar to the ones you mentioned above.

It all depends on what you need in your specific context and free trials of AV products help you make the right decision when choosing the software to use.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.