AV-Comparatives Norton and Avira Ethereum Mining: Why Are AV Vendors Offering Crypto Services?

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Avira and Norton are now offering customers the ability to mine cryptocurrency – for a fee.

Both AV vendors have introduced a new service which can mine Ethereum whenever a user’s computer is sitting idle. Customers will then be able to deposit any Ether their computer has mined into their own crypto wallet after giving NortonLifeLock, owner of both Avira and Norton, a 15% share of the proceeds. The crypto-mining services offered by both vendors are very similar, with the same rules applying to both Avira Crypto and Norton Crypto.

NortonLifeLock’s venture into crypto is undeniably innovative, allowing it a rare opportunity to bring genuine new value to their clients. Despite its market volatility, the crypto sector is thriving right now and offering customers a controlled and straightforward way to engage with mining Ethereum is a clever move.

However, some users may have questions and reservations. We do not think that crypto mining will become a primary revenue stream for NortonLifeLock or its customers in the immediate future. However, there is a chance that such features prove popular and spread across the industry to become familiar – perhaps even profitable – parts of many different AV products. There is an equal chance that they do not succeed and end up going unused, at best, or annoying customers, at worst.

To help consumers decide whether to start mining crypto using an AV solution and offer vendors guidance on whether to roll out similar features, we have answered some of the questions consumers and professionals are likely to ask about Avira Crypto and Norton Crypto.

Are Avira Crypto and Norton Crypto the Same Product?

They are similar services branded with different names. There have been many mergers in recent years, with one of the implications of takeovers in the AV industry being the release of almost identical products sold under different brand identities.
Will Avira and Norton Mine Crypto Without My Permission?

No. Both companies have been clear about this in their terms of service. Users must opt into Avira Crypto or Norton Crypto. Then they need to enable mining. “You need to manually turn on Avira Crypto on your device,” Avira explained. “As long as you don’t turn on Avira Crypto, it will not mine.” Norton also wrote: “By default, Norton Crypto is turned off. You need to manually turn it on.”

How Do I Remove Avira Crypto and Norton Crypto?

Both services offer a dashboard which can be used to totally switch off mining. This console can pause a current mining session for 1, 4, 8, or 24 hours. Users can also pause the mining until the next restart of your computer. If Avira Crypto or Norton Crypto is switched off, it must be manually turned on to continue mining.

How Much Can I Earn From Crypto Mining?

Not a great deal at this stage. Mining Ethereum has become difficult, meaning the rewards are likely to be low.
How Much Does Avira Crypto and Norton Crypto Cost?

It is free to users of the subscription service Norton 360, Avira Free Security, Avira Antivirus Pro, Avira Internet Security, and Avira Prime users in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. However, miners will have to give Norton and Avira 15% of the Ether they mine and pay for the higher electricity bill. They may also need to pay tax on the revenue gained during mining.

Will Crypto Mining Damage My Computer?

Possibly, yes. This is not the fault of Norton or Avira. There is no getting away from the fact that mining Ethereum requires a lot of processing power. NortonLifeLock’s products deploy the graphical processing unit (GPU) on users’ computers to mine crypto. If a GPU is used at full capacity for extended periods of time it will generate high levels of heat, wear out more quickly than if it was lightly used. Crypto mining will put a strain on your hardware so must be closely monitored. And it works only on high-end computers, so check your spec if want to start mining.

What is the Environmental Impact of Crypto Mining?

Currently, Ethereum mining uses an energy-intensive consensus mechanism called proof-of-work that consumes 73.2 TWh every year, the equivalent of a medium-sized country like Austria. However, Ethereum will switch to Proof of Stake at some point this year, which is much more energy-efficient and so will cut the blockchain’s emissions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

Even if the Crypto system is not activated by default, I think it's outrageous to put one.

Antivirus is supposed to block this kind of attack, not install it in a sneaky way.... (even if it is disabled by default)

On the other hand, I think that Avast/AVG will also include a crypto system since they have been bought by Norton.

If they do that, Microsoft will be happy with Microsoft Defender because everyone will migrate to it, free, very powerful and without crypto 😉

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hello :)

Even if the Crypto system is not activated by default, I think it's outrageous to put one.

Antivirus is supposed to block this kind of attack, not install it in a sneaky way.... (even if it is disabled by default)

On the other hand, I think that Avast/AVG will also include a crypto system since they have been bought by Norton.

If they do that, Microsoft will be happy with Microsoft Defender because everyone will migrate to it, free, very powerful and without crypto 😉
This isn't an "attack" — but secretly utilising someone's computer resources to profit off of it is an "attack". And I don't think it's "sneaky" since it's announced.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
This isn't an "attack" — but secretly utilising someone's computer resources to profit off of it is an "attack". And I don't think it's "sneaky" since it's announced.

I think you understood me when I said "attack" ^^

For me it's still sneaky because at the beginning, nothing was announced.... They announced because it made some noise in drama.
After that it's still my opinion and I don't support it, an Antivirus doesn't have to include cryptominer....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.