Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why not you can test the beta try in Vmware or other virtual application and give feedback how it performs. :)

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Why not you can test the beta you can test in Vmware or other virtual application and give feedback how it performs. :)
1GB of memory on my computer isn't enough to run a virtual machine along with windows.
I wish they would create a bootable version of VMWare so that I wouldn't have to worry about memory.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well here are the known issues of AV/IS 2012

Here are a list of the known issues with the current Public Beta build. We are already aware of these issues and will have them resolved before final release:

Virus Definitions
Full (non-streaming) definitions may not update as frequently on the pre-release product. You will continue to get streaming updates, but eventually the “Definition Update” time may show a few days (even after updating Streaming Definitions). Do not use the Intelligent Updater (from the Security Response site) to manually update the definitions, as they’re not compatible with 2012 and will cause issues.

Bandwidth Throttling
Norton Product reports mobile broadband card as "in use" when it has been disconnected.

Help
Search doesn't display relevant results.

Intrusion Prevention
Intrusion Prevention automatically re-enables shortly after disabling.

User Interface
Close "X" button doesn't function on Program Control User interface.

User Interface
Norton Tasks and Network Security Map windows are not resizable and don't have a Maximize button.

LiveUpdate
Pulse Updates "Fail to Complete" on first LiveUpdate after Installation.

System Insight
System Insight / Performance Window shows old events after installation.

Google Chrome
May need to restart computer if Norton Toolbar doesn't appear after installing latest Google Chrome update.

Source

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Besides from that bugs some beta tester are posting like some bug like firewall glitch, widgets and others but since its beta they are aware for that.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
So mostly expected changes. The stability rating looks interesting.
But I have to say, adding a toolbar to chrome is just wrong! Chrome doesn't support toolbars so they have to use some sort of code injection to pull it off. Also, the toolbar would have to be rerendered every time you load a page. Anyone who have tried the stumbleupon toolbar will know how annoying that is.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
iPanik said:
So mostly expected changes. The stability rating looks interesting.
But I have to say, adding a toolbar to chrome is just wrong! Chrome doesn't support toolbars so they have to use some sort of code injection to pull it off. Also, the toolbar would have to be rerendered every time you load a page. Anyone who have tried the stumbleupon toolbar will know how annoying that is.
Plus, toolbars are just annoying in general.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Toolbars can be disabled with one click. Of course there are bugs.................After all its BETA.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
Toolbars can be disabled with one click. Of course there are bugs.................After all its BETA.
I don't like the idea of third party software bundled with a security product much.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Toolbars can be disabled with one click.
And that is good.
My gripe is that they included it in the first place. Deviating from the standard extension design like that is unprofessional in my view.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
There is no 3rd party involved. Please understand what you speak of before posting. The Norton Toolbar is made by Symantec. It incorporates Safe Web and Identity Safe. I guess you forget when Comodo added in a REAL 3rd party toolbar. The toolbar is like any other company such as AVG,McAfee or Kaspersky. Even Avast adds on safe web. You guys are not actually thinking of what the Norton toolbar does. Its not an "Ask" thing. Comodo's safe surf had nothing to do with Comodo themselves. I guess all of you Comodo uses forgot that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So what search engine does Norton use?

Since You brought up Comodo, hasn't their toolbar been discontinued?

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
There is no 3rd party involved. Please understand what you speak of before posting. The Norton Toolbar is made by Symantec. It incorporates Safe Web and Identity Safe. I guess you forget when Comodo added in a REAL 3rd party toolbar. The toolbar is like any other company such as AVG,McAfee or Kaspersky. Even Avast adds on safe web. You guys are not actually thinking of what the Norton toolbar does. Its not an "Ask" thing. Comodo's safe surf had nothing to do with Comodo themselves. I guess all of you Comodo uses forgot that.
The toolbar is basically a slightly modified ask toolbar - which is often considered adware.
At least Comodo's toolbar doesn't add itself onto Chrome.
I use Opera so it doesn't bother me either way, but I feel for the pain of others.
Also, Comodo's hop surf toolbar is no longer installed by default.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
You are too funny and have no idea what you speak of. Typical reply from a Comodo user. I guess you are also forgetting Comodo's Hop Surf Bar. Norton's toolbar contains features that people pay for when they buy NIS. Indentity Safe and Safe web are important features built into NIS. Safe search is powdered by Ask. But every company adds the Ask toolbar.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
You are too funny and have no idea what you speak of. Typical reply from a Comodo user. I guess you are also forgetting Comodo's Hop Surf Bar. Norton's toolbar contains features that people pay for when they buy NIS. Indentity Safe and Safe web are important features built into NIS. Safe search is powdered by Ask. But every company adds the Ask toolbar.
elliotcroft said:
Also, Comodo's hop surf toolbar is no longer installed by default.
I did not forget about it.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Norton's toolbar contains features that people pay for when they buy NIS.
Which only makes the design choice worse.

i am sorry if i repeat myself. I have spend a lot of time with stuff like this the past few months, so this hits a particular nerve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.