Norton AV/IS 2012 BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
New Beta biulds should be released frequently, so 14 days should be enough.

If safe web works in the beta then it's probably only the hotfix that they are using in it.

I do hope they get rid of the global threat map on the main UI. it's just some eye candy that doesn't serve much purpose. More usefull things could be done with that space.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
The map is rather dumb. People dont care about where threats come from. All they need to know is that they are protected from these threats. Location is meaningless.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Dieselman said:
The map is rather dumb. People dont care about where threats come from. All they need to know is that they are protected from these threats. Location is meaningless.

Yeah, and it has been mentioned alot on the forums. UI is a bit messy at the moment tbh. Still early days yet however.

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
Tomo172 said:
ballader1 said:
Stop complaining that much. It is a BETA! and I kind of agree that the map is dumb...

Not complaining, just giving my opinion :)

Your opinion is ACCEPTABLE, but I thought it was like complaining if u take a look at your posts ;) and I mentioned it is STILL a BETA.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I'm glad to see they haven't added in any gimmicks to this release. Just beefed up the already powerful security, and streamlined the product further. Ofcourse, there will still be people out there who won't touch it and bad mouth, because they had a bad experience with Norton 4+ years ago :rolleyes:

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well Norton was in the right path from making the version very well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Tomo172 said:
Ofcourse, there will still be people out there who won't touch it and bad mouth, because they had a bad experience with Norton 4+ years ago :rolleyes:
The first and last time I used Norton was in 2005, I had Norton Internet Security 2005 and Norton Ghost. :D

But I still do recommend Norton for some who ask about it. :p

:eek:fftopic:
The year before (2004) I had McAfee, where the Personal Firewall and Antivirus came in separate boxes. I still might have them somewhere. :p

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Us techies may know that it is now a much better product, but your avarage joe will still think "Oh Norton, too slow"

The year before (2004) I had McAfee, where the Personal Firewall and Antivirus came in separate boxes. I still might have them somewhere. :p

I'm pretty sure I have a disk around for McAfee ViruScan from 1998 :D

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I've been trying this out for the last day. You can actually pin the advanced GUI so that whenever you open up NIS it shows like this:

Norton-Internet-Security_42.png

Which is basically NIS 2011 without the stupid Activity map :p .

G

Guest28

Over, the years Symantec has got better listening to there customers. Hopefully they will change the GUI before the main release of the 2012 line up.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Looks to have a lot of text on that screen-shot. Are all the yellow text links?

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think its got better when its hide the activity map.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
stormgtr said:
Looks to have a lot of text on that screen-shot. Are all the yellow text links?

Most of them are. The ones at the very bottom next to CPU usage aren't.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Its more or less the same as NIS 2011. Everything you see you can click on except for what Tomo said.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
It's certainly better than the default GUI that's for sure!

I've already reported a few things I think should be changed.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Norton 2012 Betas Earn High Marks from Antivirus Group

Public beta testing for the 2012 Norton security products began last Friday. In the few days since, German antivirus test lab AV-Test.org has worked up initial impressions for Norton AntiVirus 2012 beta and Norton Internet Security 2012 beta, and both products definitely made a good first impression.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383871,00.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.