Not open for further replies.

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
I m trying Symantec Endpoint.
Everything is great except,the detection is lower than Norton
In that thread,Norton has found 4 malwares while my updated SEP is still 2/5 ....
Any idea?

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Norton did bad on one malware pack, it's not a real situation - SUD.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
the last time I used norton was 2015 version. I got infected from a simple virus from someone's flash drive. norton let the virus running without saying anything. I ran a quickscan, then norton removed the virus from the pc
I checked that usb protection was enabled. I copied the infected file again, plugged the usb in and was waiting for 30 minutes, still no notifications
I plugged the usb to another computer with avast free and another one with avira free. They both killed the infected file immediately at the time the usb was plugged

I still have faith in norton with download insight (only) but in my country we always use flash drives and get datas from internet cafes (most dont have installed antivirus programs) so norton doesn't do well enough for us

kaddy

Level 2
Verified
Jan 23, 2016
norton has never failed me, nor has kaspersky. out of freeware panda is my favorite. Norton just keeps improving, and it remains relatively stable with low FP rates. never once have i been infected while using norton. Kaspersky is an excellent choice as well. People think because it doesnt detect anything it means it is not working. You honestly should hope it never detects anything except very rarely. Most of the time it doesn't pick up files because most normal users, who do not torrent or any of that, will not run into as much malware. Most people i know are getting hit by PUPs more than anything else. Now norton picks those up and people say it does good. kind of goes to show what the main threat to home users seems to be.

Reactions: frogboy

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I understood that Norton is by far less impressive on detection with auto-protect disabled, because he mosly relys on the cloud, and on demand scan is only signature based. That's the reason. There is so much difference in extracting a pack without disabling Norton, and disabling Norton, extracting and then do a context scan

Reactions: Mihir :-)

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Everything aforementioned plus every software does different on every system. If you're not happy with a security solution, you can always grab a virtual machine and test whatever you like to.

Reactions: OokamiCreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.