Battle Norton Safe Web or Web Of Trust (WOT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
They're two different types of of web protection. WOT uses user input in order to make decisions about website (Reputation), whereas Norton scans the pages for malware and phishing.

One really isn't better than the other. They both do things differently.

Nikomanuel1

Jul 10, 2011
Now i don't trust on norton products anymore, but, i think WOT is a excellent plug-in for web filter......

As based on a true community takes advantage over the rest. (Not norton only) !

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
WOT and Norton Safe Web use different basic approaches to site rating.
-WOT relies primarily on user input along with data from outside sources that compile lists of phishing sites, etc.
-Norton Safe Web actually visits each site and analyzes it for malicious content.; user opinions are weighed but are not the primary determinant of a site's safety rating.
Both methods have certain advantages and limitations, I for one really like WOT because it can warn me when a site isn't malicious but it's content isn't trustworthy. I have been using WOT for almost 2 years and for me it's the best site advisor on the market. :)

Related videos:

MyWot vs. McAfee Site Advisor vs. Norton Safe Web Lite Part 1
Uploaded by char1661 on Aug 20, 2011

MyWot vs. McAfee Site Advisor vs. Norton Safe Web Lite Part 2
Uploaded by char1661 on Aug 20, 2011

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

for unknown suspicious sites i may go, i use WOT then check with Dr Web Link Checker to have a second opinion. (since WOT can be affected by fanboys/haters, see Iobit website)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
More effective would be to use WOT and VTzilla.
Then if you still aren't sure about a link , you can right-click on google result and select 'scan with VirusTotal'.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I use to use wot but didnt like it because of the users rating websites a lot of good websites are rated as dangerous and now i use norton and i find it more accurate plus if you go into detailed reports of what is wrong with the site it will tell you

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I personally have always used URLVoid.

Hyykm.png

As you can see it uses multiple services and I can click on any of them to see the results.

But if I was forced to use just one of the two, I would choose Norton Safe WEB. Excluding the fact I'm Gold ranked on WOT :p I have my reasons.

Thanks.

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
I prefer WOT. But I know it not always good. For example few users estimated very bad one web page because its owner send spam. I think really bad web page is only with spyware, malware and another threads. And with illegal software, ethical issues.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Both Norton Safe Web and WOT have strong and weak points but overall, Safe Web topples WOT mainly because Safe Web uses a database with websites that are thoroughly analyzed by experts while WOT only offers reputation from many users and most of these users are not that knowledgeable with security in the first place.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I found WOT to be have more advantage, beside on user reputation that can provide possible accurate information even third party like HpHost and others could give an information that a website might lead to danger.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I dont use WOT much and dont trust it a lot to. ITs not a malware scanner so it does not fit in my needs. Anyway safeweb has one dangerous limitation. It does not block malicious sites instead it allows you to go to them but you see a small red exclamation mark in the toolbar. So WOT gets my vote here. But the best is Avg Linkscanner or Bitdefender TrafficLight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.