Norton security 2015: Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob974

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Sometimes I read good tests and I read the opposite... Opinions are very different from one person to another.
What does think?
Please give me your opinion.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
You can see time and again about these results that product A scores great this month, and not so great in the other. Or product B scores higher than product A this month. You should take these reports with a grain of salt. All it helps is to keep swapping your antivirus based on the results.

Reactions: Ali80

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Norton Security 2015 is good. It's not best to be honest, but it's good ;) Performance is it's strongest side. Signatures are so so, but Behaviour Blocker or Sonar is good.

Reactions: Sasa

akshay1189

Level 3
Verified
Dec 6, 2013
The Pros
Outstanding malware protection; Clean, intuitive interface; Robust privacy-protection tools; Minimal impact on system performance

The Cons
Separate Web-based parental controls; Full parental controls must be purchased separately; Moderate impact on battery life

Verdict
Norton Security 2015 provides excellent malware and privacy protection, but lacks integrated parental controls

Reactions: Sasa

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Traditional signatures are not such effective compare to other AV which sometimes depends on Behavior Blocker (SONAR), but it can contribute well on their cloud protection. (Download Insight)

But for performance you can expect good stability.

Reactions: Sasa and Ali80

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
It is good, other good products are: Avast, Eset and Kaspersky.
For me good products are: detection, removal, fp, R&D, ability to track current malware trends and develop quick response for it, and not write about something months old like for example chronical slowpokes from F-Secure (and more like them) with their comedy section Sirefef/TDSS discoveries.

PS: I use Avast Free.

Last edited:

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I think the new Norton is excellent and among the best products on the market, though I would tweak its settings to get the best out of it and wouldn't even recommend it with default settings. I recommend aggressive SONAR, aggressive Heuristic Protection and set LOW Risk to alert or remove (anything but automatic). Low risk handling is very important when it comes to PUPs as well and will take care of most threats before they get a chance to execute.

With these settings I think it is stronger than ESET and Emsisoft and on par with Kaspersky (with KIS I recommend Trusted Applications Mode). It may look weak on static file detection, where ESET shines, but with adjusted settings it actually beats ESET easily, IMHO. Behavioral analysis in combination with reputation / fingerprinting is a much more sound approach than signatures. Of course it doesn't show when people post their results in Virus Exchange section, but you have to account for the fact that in these cases key features of its protection are either not utilized or intentionally circumvented.

Y

yigido

China goverment does not trust Norton and Kaspersky, I do not trust them too :D
So do not use Norton :)

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
I'm still with my old Norton 360, 2015 currently belongs to eset

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have never been a fan of Norton but I am going back to 10-15 years ago when it caused many a headache and reformat trying to remove it.However it is much better today than it was back then.I personally have stuck with what has worked for me for over 10 years.The best advice I can give you is to give it a try and see how you like it on your system.

bob974

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Thank you all for your feedback and your advice.

I've tried it and I liked its interface...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.