Norton Security 2015 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I've watched one review which showed Norton scoring well. The GUI looks nice and clean; but I have not tried Norton for a few years and wonder if I should give it a try. :)

anitac

Nov 29, 2011
Guys, it's symantec. They never give something for free ;)
The previous years upgrades that were "free"?

Norton Safe Web Lite? Norton Identity Safe Standalone? Norton Power Eraser? Norton ConnectSafe? Norton Security Scan? Norton iAntivirus? Norton Mobile Security? Norton Family? Norton Zone? Norton UAC Tool? Norton Removal Tool? The last one is a joke.

All the ones I can think of.

Reactions: MalwareT

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I have 200+ subscription days for my Norton 360 and I cannot update it to new version (Norton Security with Backup) which is an imbecile move for a subscription fee software. Their decision to push their customers to pay again for the new version is absurd. And I am sad because of it, I do love their product...

Reactions: Av Gurus

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Even worse is the new licensing model of five devices for one or two years. There are millions of potential customers who only need protection for one device and don't care for spending 80$ per year for one device and wasting four empty slots. I am still wondering if they are planning to eliminate third party vendors and thus special offers from the table.

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
The previous years upgrades that were "free"?

Norton Safe Web Lite? Norton Identity Safe Standalone? Norton Power Eraser? Norton ConnectSafe? Norton Security Scan? Norton iAntivirus? Norton Mobile Security? Norton Family? Norton Zone? Norton UAC Tool? Norton Removal Tool? The last one is a joke.

All the ones I can think of.

I think the last one is the most useful of the mentioned.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
The 2015 generation is the first Norton I have ever tried and I think it's very good.

It's definitely extremely light, though I have only tried it on a modern PC. The only downside in my opinion is Chrome x64 compatibility. I wouldn't use Identity Safe but malicious website blocking requires the toolbar to work. That's kind of puzzling because Norton scans the http stream and intercept attacks there without the toolbar, for example it blocked the exploits on wicar.org regardless. Kaspersky can still block malicious websites without its extension.

Though I suggest disabling the disk optimization tasks as I am not sure whether it does distinguish between a SSD and HDD and SSD defgragmentation is a very bad idea.

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
Exploit blocking has nothing to do with the toolbar. Norton's IPS is independent of the toolbar. It works at network level.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I know exploit blocking works at the network level and that was exactly my intention to point out. Since Norton can block at the network level, it should be able to block websites at the network level without a toolbar as well.

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
Yes, and in the older products the AV only also (which doesn't have a toolbar and site rating) had IPS and blocked exploits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.