New Update Norton Security 22.24.1.6 for Windows is now available!

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
One thing I would like to know: when and how often do you update the database? I installed it yesterday and now the computer is on, but I don't see it updated in the History.

As far as I can see, you cannot set LiveUpdate. I can either turn it off or on.
Right click on the System Tray icon and select Run LiveUpdate.

Jengo

Level 6
Thread author
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
I replaced Kaspersky with Norton Antivirus Plus today after twenty years of marriage. The machine is much more responsive. It's like not having AV on my computer. I have named it Nortonsky Antivirus Plus.:cool:
I hope I'll have no problems with it, especially if I play Call of Duty every day. :)
No issues when playing games. Its optimized for this.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
One thing I would like to know: when and how often do you update the database? I installed it yesterday and now the computer is on, but I don't see it updated in the History.
If I remember correctly, on default it updates 10 mins after system startup (it can be changed to as low as 1 min) and after that, it only updates when your system is idle for 10 mins (also configurable). Otherwise, it will not update. If you're always using your PC with no idle time then Live Update is not performed.

Jengo

Level 6
Thread author
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
If I remember correctly, on default it updates 10 mins after system startup (it can be changed to as low as 1 min) and after that, it only updates when your system is idle for 10 mins (also configurable). Otherwise, it will not update. If you're always using your PC with no idle time then Live Update is not performed.
Norton360 updates in idle perfect. I think Norton antivirus is the same, don't forget Norton depends on an active Internet connection and not solely on signatures

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Norton360 updates in idle perfect. I think Norton antivirus is the same, don't forget Norton depends on an active Internet connection and not solely on signatures
Yep, you're right, most of them do :) From the AV-Comparatives 2023 Summary report.

offline.jpg

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yes, I was just explaining how Norton updates and why he didn't find any Live Update log. Norton doesn't need constant signature updates due to the cloud but behavioral signatures for SONAR are also pushed via Live Update so updates are necessary. Hourly update checking done by most other products is a better method IMO.

Jengo

Level 6
Thread author
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
Yes, I was just explaining how Norton updates and why he didn't find any Live Update log. Norton doesn't need constant signature updates due to the cloud but behavioral signatures for SONAR are also pushed via Live Update so updates are necessary. Hourly update checking done by most other products is a better method IMO.
Norton checks every hour.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Norton checks every hour.
It does not actually. It also doesn't send threat intelligence telemetry aka Norton Community Watch info to their server unless the device is idle or the user manually performs the task. I used Norton for quite a long time so I can tell from experience as this is something I always looked out for and even discussed this matter with @Trident who is very knowledgeable regarding Norton as well as many other AV products.

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
No issues when playing games. Its optimized for this.
What do you mean by that exactly? I didn't buy the Gamer edition. But the fact is that so far everything on my computer is much more snappy than with Kaspersky.

Reactions: JB007

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm using Norton on some devices and I'm very happy, it is very smooth; for the protection I don't know:unsure:
My subscription ends in 15 days and I received a very attractive renewal offer from Norton.
But I don't know if the remaining 15 days of subscription will be lost if I renew now ?:unsure:

Capture d'écran 2024-02-23 135327.pngCapture d'écran 2024-02-23 135436.png

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Hello,
I'm using Norton on some devices and I'm very happy, it is very smooth; for the protection I don't know:unsure:
My subscription ends in 15 days and I received a very attractive renewal offer from Norton.
But I don't know if the remaining 15 days of subscription will be lost if I renew now ?:unsure:

View attachment 281713View attachment 281712
Personally, I would wait. I've lost too many days stacking keys, even when you're told that it will work. By the way, here's a better deal for you, from our friends at @SerialCart (thanks Al) ✌️

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I used this link in September. 90 days. Worked like a champ. Don’t know if it’ll still work. No need to enter any information. Only downside was you need to go thru a lot of updating. Like maybe 6,7,8 reboots, but it worked flawlessly. Sadly, I don’t know anything about if you can use it for a Mac. Sorry ✌️

Norton 360 - free 90-day license

Free licenses

Get a free license for Norton 360 comprehensive antivirus for 90 days. Protect your computer from a variety of viruses, malware and other Internet threats with a quality antivirus solution.
Can confirm, as of an hour ago, still working. ONLY 60 days now ✌️

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Personally, I would wait. I've lost too many days stacking keys, even when you're told that it will work. By the way, here's a better deal for you, from our friends at @SerialCart (thanks Al) ✌️

Hi @BigWrench
The offer is for Norton 360 Premium and it is more expansive (10€) here Buy Norton 360 Premium 2023 with 73% Discount
Capture.PNG

Reactions: simmerskool

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Search results display does not work under Edge.
Works in Chrome. Does not work under Firefox.
The extension is installed everywhere.

Attachments

• Chrome.png
    Chrome.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 42
  • EDGE.png
    EDGE.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Firefox.png
    Firefox.png
    259 KB · Views: 38

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Search results display does not work under Edge.
Works in Chrome. Does not work under Firefox.
The extension is installed everywhere.
This is a known bug for many years now. It's ridiculous that they haven't fixed it yet. On Edge, install Norton Safe Web from the Chrome store instead of Edge Add-ons and it'll start working as it normally should. No solution for Firefox. Norton also use much more CPU while browsing on Firefox. It's a browser they don't care about.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.