App Review Norton Security Suite BETA Test (MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@Koroke San Of course, it's a beta release. o_O

Even for a beta it worked well and Sonar was efficient at stopping malware, once executed. I didn't test to termination of Norton, but most users wouldn't run more than 2 samples on an infected PC.

@MalwareDoctor Did you try off-video, using the Start-up Manager and File Insight/Rep?

On of the issues with the reports saying good and then a alert saying good is because insight has not been configured to deal with it.
Otherwise the other alert would not pop up.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
@Koroke San Of course, it's a beta release. o_O

Even for a beta it worked well and Sonar was efficient at stopping malware, once executed. I didn't test to termination of Norton, but most users wouldn't run more than 2 samples on an infected PC.
Well, i saw many Beta AV reviews & they did a good job. Norton is confusion in blocking infected URL, it needs to block infected page if it's web protection is strong though. Anyways, i don't need any AV for web protection, just looking for a good realtime AV, don't need any BB/on-demand scanner of AV since my common sense can act as BB & have AV rescue CD.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well, i saw many Beta AV reviews & they did a good job. Norton is confusion in blocking infected URL, it needs to block infected page if it's web protection is strong though. Anyways, i don't need any AV for web protection, just looking for a good realtime AV, don't need any BB/on-demand scanner of AV since my common sense can act as BB & have AV rescue CD.

You clearly do not understand how Norton works..... nevermind.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
@MalwareDoctor Did you try off-video, using the Start-up Manager and File Insight/Rep?

I did play around with the file rep for a bit (as briefly seen when I checked the reputation on their installer file). It appears their count of users who use common applications may be off a bit but overall that is a cool feature I like about Norton (I know other products offer file rep. but nothing quite like Norton) The trust level graphic was interesting but I must say it does not make a tremendous amount of sense and can lead to a false sense of security (if all the processes are trusted then how could there possibly be any malware running in the background?). Speaking of the start-up manager I can honestly say I did not really explore it to much. Whenever I have seen Norton's start-up manager it reminds me of Window 8's startup tab in task manager.

On a side note I revisited the request you made on my profile page back in April about Trend Micro's beta. Sorry about that I must have read over the request too quickly. I plan on testing G-Data next but Trend Micro should be the one to follow.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
You clearly do not understand how Norton works..... nevermind.
I understand it very well & know this product coz i used it in past too. It's not blocking infected URL, it's just wait executable to load in PC & then Norton comes in action. With some basic common sense if u add K9 web protection ( tweaked) with combination of free addons like panda url/avira browser safety with any adblocker ( blocking for malicious ads) gives much better web protection then Norton or any AV.

Reactions: nissimezra

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I understand it very well & know this product coz i used it in past too. It's not blocking infected URL, it's just wait executable to load in PC & then Norton comes in action. With some basic common sense if u add K9 web protection ( tweaked) with combination of free addons like panda url/avira browser safety with any adblocker ( blocking for malicious ads) gives much better web protection then Norton or any AV.

Wrong about the URL thing. It does block infected URL's IF you configure it. Because if its not blocking URL then who is blocking URLS on for example my test computers where its installed?
I will mark the functions that directly are responsible for checking your web page addresses and deal with problems that come from it by using: <<<

• Insight identifies which files and applications are safe and which are dangerous, using the combined feedback of more than 175 million Norton™ users. <<<
  • Norton Community Watch tracks virtually every file on the Internet for comprehensive global threat monitoring.
  • SONAR Behavioral Protection detects the signs that a file is dangerous to proactively protect you from never-before-seen threats. <<<
  • Spam Blocking keeps your mailbox free of unwanted, dangerous and fraudulent emails.
  • Internet Protection System scours websites and social networking sites for suspicious links and content to identify the latest social networking scams. <<<
  • Download Insight and IP Address Insight prevent you from downloading files from websites that have a low reputation score within the Norton user community. <<<
  • Live 24x7 Threat Monitoring is backed by a network of Norton users who serve as your own personal Neighborhood Watch group.
  • Scam Insight reviews a website’s reputation and lets you know if it’s safe to enter your personal information. <<<
  • Anti-phishing Technology blocks fraudulent "phishing" sites set up to steal your personal information. <<<
  • Identity Safe remembers, secures and automatically enters your usernames and passwords for you, so they can't be lost or stolen.
  • Parental Control helps you protect your kids from online dangers by giving you direct access to Norton Family.
  • Safe Web tells you if a website is unsafe before you visit it and it's too late. <<<
  • Safe Web for Facebook scans your Facebook Wall and News Feed for URLs containing security threats such as phishing sites, malicious downloads and links to unsafe external sites. <<<
  • Intelligent 2-way Firewall prevents strangers from accessing your home network by blocking incoming traffic determined to be unsafe.
  • Network mapping and monitoring shows all the devices connected to your home network, so you can spot uninvited guests using your wireless connection and/or eavesdropping on you.
Automatic, silent updates keep you one step ahead of new threats and those not yet invented
  • Automatic product downloads and installations when you're not using your computer ensure your protection is always up to date.
  • Norton Pulse updates virus definitions every 5 to 15 minutes without disrupting your work or play.
  • Insight + Optimized File Copy identifies safe files and only scans unknown files.
  • Built-in Intelligence maximizes battery life by putting off non-critical activities until you are plugged in and out of full-screen mode.
  • Norton Management enables easy single-password access to all Norton cloud-based applications and Web properties – to update, renew, fix or install Norton – including Norton Management, Norton Anti-Theft, Norton Family and Identity Safe.
  • Windows® 8 Compatibility features touch-friendly support which works equally great in keyboard and mouse environments.
So as i said you do not know how the product works. (No disrespect)
That being said i am not a Norton fan-boy, but if you can find a bigger Norton & Symantec geek here on MT then me ....nevermind lmao...

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Wrong about the URL thing. It does block infected URL's IF you configure it. Because if its not blocking URL then who is blocking URLS on for example my test computers where its installed?
I will mark the functions that directly are responsible for checking your web page addresses and deal with problems that come from it by using: <<<

• Insight identifies which files and applications are safe and which are dangerous, using the combined feedback of more than 175 million Norton™ users. <<<
  • Norton Community Watch tracks virtually every file on the Internet for comprehensive global threat monitoring.
  • SONAR Behavioral Protection detects the signs that a file is dangerous to proactively protect you from never-before-seen threats. <<<
  • Spam Blocking keeps your mailbox free of unwanted, dangerous and fraudulent emails.
  • Internet Protection System scours websites and social networking sites for suspicious links and content to identify the latest social networking scams. <<<
  • Download Insight and IP Address Insight prevent you from downloading files from websites that have a low reputation score within the Norton user community. <<<
  • Live 24x7 Threat Monitoring is backed by a network of Norton users who serve as your own personal Neighborhood Watch group.
  • Scam Insight reviews a website’s reputation and lets you know if it’s safe to enter your personal information. <<<
  • Anti-phishing Technology blocks fraudulent "phishing" sites set up to steal your personal information. <<<
  • Identity Safe remembers, secures and automatically enters your usernames and passwords for you, so they can't be lost or stolen.
  • Parental Control helps you protect your kids from online dangers by giving you direct access to Norton Family.
  • Safe Web tells you if a website is unsafe before you visit it and it's too late. <<<
  • Safe Web for Facebook scans your Facebook Wall and News Feed for URLs containing security threats such as phishing sites, malicious downloads and links to unsafe external sites. <<<
  • Intelligent 2-way Firewall prevents strangers from accessing your home network by blocking incoming traffic determined to be unsafe.
  • Network mapping and monitoring shows all the devices connected to your home network, so you can spot uninvited guests using your wireless connection and/or eavesdropping on you.
Automatic, silent updates keep you one step ahead of new threats and those not yet invented
  • Automatic product downloads and installations when you're not using your computer ensure your protection is always up to date.
  • Norton Pulse updates virus definitions every 5 to 15 minutes without disrupting your work or play.
  • Insight + Optimized File Copy identifies safe files and only scans unknown files.
  • Built-in Intelligence maximizes battery life by putting off non-critical activities until you are plugged in and out of full-screen mode.
  • Norton Management enables easy single-password access to all Norton cloud-based applications and Web properties – to update, renew, fix or install Norton – including Norton Management, Norton Anti-Theft, Norton Family and Identity Safe.
  • Windows® 8 Compatibility features touch-friendly support which works equally great in keyboard and mouse environments.
So as i said you do not know how the product works. (No disrespect)
That being said i am not a Norton fan-boy, but if you can find a bigger Norton & Symantec geek here on MT then me ....nevermind lmao...
I didn't see any video of norton blocking URL yet, maybe u should make a video review & show me. For me window firewall with configured Router works well, no need of norton firewall. Identities safe not needed really if a user download from trusted source/check it with MD5 hash tool or chec kit with virus total uploader after download. Spam blocking not needed, i saw many peeps who r not computer savy or even they r , they don't use any email client so it's antispam module will useless.If a user don't click on malicious or suspicious URLS in social sites/don't trust unknown peoples/don't trust scam/BS & don't give his/her personal information via chat or via on their profile, don't use social sites to sign for other sites then he/she will be nuff safe, no need of internet protection system. I don't believe in AV reputation based protection, tries some & was flagging some legit applications as unsafe, i better trust myself what i'm downloading if not i should better don't click click every on download site until i don't know what i'm doing. well i have wot will be good alternative against norton scam insight/safe web module. About anti-phising techonolgy i said earlier, K9( tweaked) with avira browser safety or panda url filter with ur Adblock malware protection ( i'm using adguard ) works much better. No need of identity safe, lastpass freeware is a better alternative. K9 like free parental control works fine nuff. Again as i said before beware wut u do in social networking site & with free url filtering protection u don't need safe web for facebook module, personally i don't want my AV to hook up on my facebook wall. well i can see in my router too who is connected or not & already strict wireless connection so only those users who i added can access my wireless connection so don't need network mapping & monitoring module.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I didn't see any video of norton blocking URL yet, maybe u should make a video review & show me. For me window firewall with configured Router works well, no need of norton firewall. Identities safe not needed really if a user download from trusted source/check it with MD5 hash tool or chec kit with virus total uploader after download. Spam blocking not needed, i saw many peeps who r not computer savy or even they r , they don't use any email client so it's antispam module will useless.If a user don't click on malicious or suspicious URLS in social sites/don't trust unknown peoples/don't trust scam/BS & don't give his/her personal information via chat or via on their profile, don't use social sites to sign for other sites then he/she will be nuff safe, no need of internet protection system. I don't believe in AV reputation based protection, tries some & was flagging some legit applications as unsafe, i better trust myself what i'm downloading if not i should better don't click click every on download site until i don't know what i'm doing. well i have wot will be good alternative against norton scam insight/safe web module. About anti-phising techonolgy i said earlier, K9( tweaked) with avira browser safety or panda url filter with ur Adblock malware protection ( i'm using adguard ) works much better. No need of identity safe, lastpass freeware is a better alternative. K9 like free parental control works fine nuff. Again as i said before beware wut u do in social networking site & with free url filtering protection u don't need safe web for facebook module, personally i don't want my AV to hook up on my facebook wall. well i can see in my router too who is connected or not & already strict wireless connection so only those users who i added can access my wireless connection so don't need network mapping & monitoring module.

No offense but you seriously have no clue what you are talking about HERE GOOGLE is your friend

Here is a screenshot:
image49.png

Sure its just a screen shot but now you have seen that Norton does block a web-page if malicious (for everything there is a first time)
Look at the bright side now you are not a Norton URL block virgin anymore :rolleyes:
That said again please i am not disrespecting you and i respect your opinions and if it works for you fine. However that does not mean that what you are saying is true as its NOT.:p
Now i never said anything about the effectiveness of Norton in this topic as i understand that there are more vendors out there that might do a better job. But do not come claim things that are just not true, you cannot judge a product because you failed to operate it in the right way.
If you want to provide info then make it quality info and leave the bias out of it.
Ask any Norton user here on MT what you said ain't true.

But no worries buddy as i said no disrespect indented.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
No offense but you seriously have no clue what you are talking about HERE GOOGLE is your friend

But for dummies here a screenshot:

Sure its just a screen shot but now you have seen that Norton does block a web-page if malicious (for everything there is a first time)
Look at the bright side now you are not a Norton URL block virgin anymore :rolleyes:
That said again please i am not disrespecting you and i respect your opinions and if it works for you fine. However that does not mean that what you are saying is true as its NOT.:p
Now i never said anything about the effectiveness of Norton in this topic as i understand that there are more vendors out there that might do a better job. But do not come claim things that are just not true, you cannot judge a product because you failed to operate it in the right way.
If you want to provide info then make it quality info and leave the bias out of it.
Ask any Norton user here on MT what you said ain't true.

But no worries buddy as i said no disrespect indented.:D
I'm not asking about it, i already saw it & it's DNS blocked few urls on my test. What i'm asking can Norton block average URl rather then let infected executable to load in their system? :D I saw many peeps who will click allow even their antivirus flagged their download files but if they get warn on website that it's not safe to visit they will more aware wut they r doing. And i don't need to ask any Norton fanboy, I see a lots of user reporting Notron falling apart, it's not a top notch product what it used to be. I already asked/saw/hear many users who used norton & they get disappointed. AV like avast, avira, kaspersky takes it place. I'm still on my point wut i said, believe or not i don't care.

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I'm not asking about it, i already saw it even i saw it & it's DNS blocked few urls on my test. What i'm asking can Norton block average URl rather then let infected executable to load in their system? :D I saw many peeps who will click allow even their antivirus flagged their download files but if they get warn on website that it's not safe to visit they will more aware wut they r doing. And i don't need to ask any Norton fanboy, I see a lots of user reporting Notron falling apart, it's not a top notch product what it used to be. I already asked/saw/hear many users who used norton & they get disappointed. AV like avast, avira, kaspersky takes it place. I'm still on my point wut i said, believe or not i don't care.

Yes Norton can block a URL and block the executable from being executed IF and only IF you configured your configuration in such way.
On top of that Norton insight is asking if you want to download a file and tells you in 9 out of 10 times that it might be malicious.
The infected executable is NOT going to infect your system if you click NO.

So the users in the tests clicked YES which means you disregarded the warning and have canceled the block.
Does that make Norton look bad? If you failed to follow their advise?
So its a "operator" error and mistake and NOT Nortons mistake.

I see a lots of user reporting Norton falling apart, it's not a top notch product what it used to be.
LOL thats because people do not have brains and fail to understand / use it. (harshly said)
Or did you forgot my guide about : Your Mouse Click Matters.
And the only reason why Norton is falling apart is because of the workload and stress upon the product...afteral who would not fall apart if it has to work on a system with a OS that has not been updated since the stone age and where a configuration is running on the system configured by the user himself that could be considered as a malware itself.

Just saying if you keep your ABC's in check Norton (or any similar) product will do a great job in keeping you clean.
But do not blame Norton for something the user did..

Last edited by a moderator:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Yes Norton can block a URL and block the executable from being executed IF and only IF you configured your configuration in such way.
On top of that Norton insight is asking if you want to download a file and tells you in 9 out of 10 times that it might be malicious.
The infected executable is NOT going to infect your system if you click NO.

So the users in the tests clicked YES which means you disregarded the warning and have canceled the block.
Does that make Norton look bad? If you failed to follow their advise?
So its a "operator" error and mistake and NOT Nortons mistake.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL thats because people do not have brains and fail to understand / use it. (harshly said)
And the only reason why Norton is falling apart is because of the workload and stress upon the product...afteral who would not fall apart if it has to work on a system with a OS that has not been updated since the stone age and where a configuration is running on the system configured by the user himself that could be considered as a malware itself.

Just saying if you keep your ABC's in check Norton (or any similar) product will do a great job in keeping you clean.
But do not blame Norton for something the user did..
Even i saw some Norton configured test, it URL protection, it takes help from it's community reputation or via Sonar while it's url protection sits & watch a user to download that file. Notron DNS only blocked a few URLS on my test, so i guess it's not effective.
And why u blaming most of Notron users who ditch Norton? Why u think they don't have brain & someone else? That's bit confusing to me. Notron was blamed for resource hogging & many users ditch it & etc.. so why they now making it low resource hog, less impact on system. It's detection rate is low compared to other AV & i know why, no need to post another topic for me. But for basic computing users they mostly buy a AV for their detection , performance & it's good if Notron is comes with configured to maximize it's protection since peoples who r not computer savy won't know how to configure it even some peoples don't want to mess with settings & leave it as deafult.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Even i saw some Norton configured test, it URL protection, it takes help from it's community reputation or via Sonar while it's url protection sits & watch a user to download that file. Notron DNS only blocked a few URLS on my test, so i guess it's not effective.
And why u blaming most of Notron users who ditch Norton? Why u think they don't have brain & someone else? That's bit confusing to me. Notron was blamed for resource hogging & many users ditch it & etc.. so why they now making it low resource hog, less impact on system. It's detection rate is low compared to other AV & i know why, no need to post another topic for me. But for basic computing users they mostly buy a AV for their detection , performance & it's good if Notron is comes with configured to maximize it's protection since peoples who r not computer savy won't know how to configure it even some peoples don't want to mess with settings & leave it as deafult.

First of all read my post again, I do not blame people for ditching Norton, and the only reason i mentioned they have no brains is simple as i explained but it seems that there are more things confusing to you. So read my post again.
In regards to being a resource hog. less then 20mb
SEP%20Resources.png

Again your opinions are fine they just do not reflect the reality. And let me say this gain:
"Thats because people do not have brains and fail to understand / use Norton. (harshly said)"

How on earth is ANY AV going to protection you if you click YES download anyway? On top of that test reports do mention detection rates, but they are tests no more no less. The reality is pretty much different as day in day out i see brands running on client PC's that are regarded as 100% crap according to those tests YET they outperform 95% of them as they are installed on a system that has all its ABC's in check. So tests are just tests and have nothing to do with the reality.
Please i might sound rude here towards you or i even might sound disrespectful but i have really no intention to so please do not take my words personal. But i explained you everything, shown you the proof to back it up from various sources and yet you claim i am wrong?
While i told you that your personal opinion is noted yet it does not mean its true.
So beats me.... but it seems you got your ABC's pretty much mixed up here.

Cheers

Reactions: randj89 and mehdi-n

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.