Battle Norton Security vs F-Secure SAFE

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
I get both of these antiviruses for free from a magazine I subscribe to, so which should I choose? (currently using F-Secure but I'm thinking about switching to Norton if it's better). Also from what I've read, Norton does not have a banking protection module like F-Secure has, that blocks all non-banking connections while doing banking. That feature is pretty good IMO. Also, Norton has it's own firewall in opposite to F-Secure which uses Windows Firewall.

So, which should I choose, F-Secure SAFE or Norton Security? (for Windows 10)
And also, do you think the banking protection in F-Secure is/was necessary (if I decide to switch to Norton)?

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
From personal testing experience, since fs protection is similar to SAFE and Symantec Endpoint is similar to Norton:
FSecure uses their own signatures plus Bitdefender ones. Norton uses their own only. Norton is always one of the first to have a signature on anything thanks to their heuristics engine.
FSecure's DeepGuard is strong, but it comes with a few false positives. Norton's SONAR is efficient, powerful.

Both are light, but FSecure is lighter, but overall imo Norton provides the overall better suite.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
My vote Norton , norton sonar and file insigh tare top notch as is their smart firewall. the only downside is the extra " tuneup " crap wich is totally not necesarry. fsecure has no extra bs installed into it and has good signatures and a good behaviour blocker , it does not have an inhouse firewall , but rather a windows firewall booster. why not trial both first and see wich is your favorite? than decide wich one to permanentely install.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
norton hasn't been doing as well is it used to do lately, so i chose F-Secure. When i used it in a virtual machine, the download insight actually blocked a Ninite installer from running.
If Norton is using the same signatures/heuristics engine and same SONAR as Symantec Endpoint then you're wrong. Also others are saying too that Norton has been improving the past years a lot.
FSecure products lack a good Firewall.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I might be biased but I will say F-Secure thanks to DeepGuard. But, Symantec has gotten better over the years. It is still a horrible resource hog.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
F-secure=good support+very good URL Filtering+aggresive behavior blocker+ugly firewall+nothing guranted+Easy to use+nice user interface

norton=good support+good URL Filtering +good behavior blocker+best av against exploits(from what i read in PC mag)+good firewall +very costumizable+100% Virus Protection Promise+ugly user interface lol

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Both are excellent choise. Can't go wrong with of course safe hapits. I have using and testing in past both and actually i have "hyppönen-license" for F-Secure. What that mean? Doesn't matter, he just is my birth country mate and funny dude...before anybody say, does if someone is nice person on dev-team make AV good? Of course not!

Guru's above has said all important features and benefits etc... so i leave that alone.

Hard choise, but just because "hyppönen -license" and Suomi i vote F-Secure. :confused:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.