• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Should i Disable Smart Updates or Enable Smart Updates. Which one is Better.
& Why the Users hate Norton?

D

Deleted member 178

MrExplorer said:
1- Should i Disable Smart Updates or Enable Smart Updates. Which one is Better.
2- Why the Users hate Norton?

1- "better" detection = turn off smart update = lost of performance

(note: some malwares are known by NIS but not so much widespread anymore, so keeping their signatures is worthless)

2- Because they don't understand how it works? :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MrExplorer said:
1- Should i Disable Smart Updates or Enable Smart Updates. Which one is Better.
2- Why the Users hate Norton?

1. With Smart Updates disabled, the Full Virus Database will be downloaded stored locally on the PC. However, since Norton has SONAR and Reputation services, it doesn't completely rely on signatures like traditional antiviruses.

So why should the consumer (user) download 100's of megabytes, when the product can contact the cloud within seconds to determine a files reputation and take the necessary action if the file is a threat or not.

2. One of many reasons could be; Bad customer/user experience.

I wouldn't vote on "which is better", as under different circumstances Smart Updates may be better (ie, Bandwidth restrictions) and other times, it may not be.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
MrExplorer said:
1.Should i Disable Smart Updates or Enable Smart Updates
2.Why the Users hate Norton?

1. I would disable it, It may download a bigger database however it does increase the detection rates.

2. Because people who have not used Norton since the 2008 or earlier versions still bash it and claims its the worst AV on the market.
Also they claim that it slows the system down.... however, My great grandmother still uses a old computer that was built in 2001 with basic (today really old low-end) specs and Norton runs as light as a feather.
I also noticed people also listen to all of the Symantec bashers and claim they used it and it was the worst however, I got them to admit they never used it before but they said people that they know used it before.

I think Norton has improved a lot and has done a good job and I never had a bad experience. The only complaint i have is, Everytime you uninstall it, It never removes all of it....So I gotta download the removal tool all the time.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
1. I cannot comment on this as I have not really used it for a very long time.I think I would agree with Earth's reply on this one.

2. I have to agree with Earth on this also.If someone had a bad experience with Norton they are obviously not going to speak fondly of it and nobody is going to change their mind.

Personally many,many years ago there were many problems with Norton especially on uninstall.Even with the removal tool it didnt completely uninstall it.Which led to conflicts with new products that were installed.Many machines were messed up some needing reintallation of the OS.Hence where you get the "Norton is like a virus" comments.As far system slow down I cannot comment but this depends on the system and other programs installed on the system.

I imagine though if you really like the product then chances are your not going to uninstall it.I am sure it is much better now then it was back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.