Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).
NoScript also provides the most powerful anti-XSS and anti-Clickjacking protection ever available in a browser.
NoScript's unique whitelist based pre-emptive script blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even not known yet!) with no loss of functionality...

Homepage

ss0.png

From noscript.net the screenshot taken.

D

Deleted member 178

good review, it is available for chrome also under the name ScriptNo, and with a different interface.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
It's good protection but it interferes with daily tasks so I don't use it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
BoXX28 said:
It's good protection but it interferes with daily tasks so I don't use it.

In most cases, it's a hindrance. Since by default, it breaks the functionality of the majority of the internet... :s

Javascript itself isn't harmful, so it doesn't make sense to disable it because so many web pages use it for navigation.

Unless you regularly visit questionable websites, locally hosted navigation type scripts aren't much of a threat as they are directly under the control of the website's admin. It's the externally hosted scripts that you need to watch out for, because the admin has no control over their actual content.

As such, I prefer to use AdBlock Plus with a filter to block third-party scripts.
Code:
*$script,third-party

This way, navigational type scripts are going to work on sites you visit by default, as they are locally hosted. You won't need to visit a site, realize that navigation is broken and have to whitelist the scripts in NoScript.

If you encounter a site that has externally hosted content servers, such as YouTube, you can set up an exception in the filter to allow third-party scripts on that domain.
Code:
*$script,third-party,domain=~youtube.com

You can also add domains to the filter.
Code:
*$script,third-party,domain=~youtube.com|~whatever.com

And if you are concerned about XSS, I like to use the RequestPolicy extension in Firefox.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Nice review, I've come to find that using NoScript is not a chor at all once a seasoned pro (lol) and know how/which ones to let in should I get website not function properly by just hovering over the link/part of site and then look in blocked section. You only have to do this once if you don't do as temp so I find it a small price to pay for such added security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.