AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Searching for a notepad file in W7 64 Pro, I noticed that for every notepad file there is a corresponding IE file by the same name that shows up in the finished search Windows. This file doesn't show a real location. Is this normal?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
can you provide a screenshot of your search results?

I'm thinking of *.lnk, but I may be wrong

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I turned off IE, since I never use it anyway and then rebooted. Now I those IE results aren't showing up. It was the text file and then right below it an ie icon named the same as the text file. I was in the process of disabling IE already and had begun to experiment using firewall to get rid of it. So I searched for a file and noticed the IE version there. Just thought it was strange.

I went to Programs and got rid of IE and rebooted, and it's gone. I guess that's OK for now. Maybe I'll figure it out later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.