Mar 20, 2023
How it's used?
For work or educational use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
    • Basic account password (insecure)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
Ubiquiti UniFi - Whitelist mode on (will only give access to specific MAC addresses)
Real-time security
Windows Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Whitelist on the router. Thinking of using DNS-level adblocking too.
Periodic malware scanners
Weekly
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave Browser. Extensions: Bitwarden, Grammarly, TabExtend
Desktop VPN
I use a paid VPN. BulletVPN
Password manager
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
My personal backup is stored in a paid cloud service that is Open-Source and with Zero-Knowledge encryption and servers located in Europe. Internxt
System recovery
Yes, I create recovery states every month and store them on Internxt (My paid private cloud)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Ryzen 7 CPU 5000 series
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
12 GB Ram DDR4
SSD 1TB
Notable changes
I recently changed my backups from an external HDD to a cloud-based solution. (I keep both, but my primary backup is now the one encrypted in the cloud). I researched a lot about this and ended up selecting one with servers in Europe (for GDPR) that are open-source and with zero knowledge encryption. I have also been changing my passwords to be absolutely randomized; I got a lot of online accounts, so it's still in progress.
I was thinking of getting a DNS-level AD blocker, too (with a raspberry Pi and pihole), but I'm not sure how safe this is.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

NotoriousCypher

Thread author
Mar 27, 2023
Hey there, MalwareTips community!

I'm NotoriousCypher, and I'm new to this forum. I'm thrilled to be part of a community focused on privacy and cybersecurity and eager to learn from all of you.

I was recommended to make a post about my current security configuration and the tools I use to receive feedback on how I can improve it. I'm relatively new to this privacy stuff, so I've been reading a lot, looking to enhance my privacy and security practices. I'm eager to hear from the experts in this community. What tools or configurations do you recommend? Are there any potential weaknesses in my current setup? I'm open to any and all feedback, and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Thank you for having me, and I can't wait to be a part of the discussions here at MalwareTips.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for posting your config (y)

You could tweak Microsoft Defender Antivirus with ConfigureDefender:

You could harden Windows with Simple Windows Hardening:
To get Simple Windows Hardening (the SRP part) working on a freshly installed Windows 11 22H2 you need to edit the registry, see this post:

Results:

You could tweak Windows privacy with O&O ShutUp10++:

Last edited:

NotoriousCypher

Thread author
Mar 27, 2023
I see you added in “Notable changes”, that also uses additional backup to external HD, which tool are You using?
I'm using cobianbackup for this. But to be honest, it could use a change. That's why I'm relying on more and more on my cloud backup these days.

Thanks for posting your config (y)

You could tweak Microsoft Defender Antivirus with ConfigureDefender:

You could harden Windows with Simple Windows Hardening:
To get Simple Windows Hardening (the SRP part) working on a freshly installed Windows 11 22H2 you need to edit the registry, see this post:

Results:

You could tweak Windows privacy with O&O ShutUp10++:
Amazing recommendations here! Thanks for taking the time to gather these for me. I love that you recommended me something to harden windows defender, as I really don't trust third-party antivirus software that much...

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I highly recommend Macrium Reflect as well @NotoriousCypher . Have this be stored on local external media that only gets connected to the computer for backup reasons. Encrypt that backup with heavy duty encryption (AES-256 or better) and then upload that encrypted disk backup to a cloud storage provider if your network, data, and security needs are sufficient. Redundancy is a must in this day in age. You'll see that I use a few redundancies in my own setup.

~Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.