Malware News 'nRansomware' demands nudes from its victims instead of bitcoin

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Having your smartphone or PC encrypted by ransomware is bad enough when you have to pay to unlock it. But a new type of malware has arisen, with a somewhat concerning demand. Spotted by the MalwareHunterTeam, it is being dubbed 'nRansomware'.

This new, rather shocking, type of attack demands nude photographs instead of bitcoin in exchange for a key to decrypt your files. Not much is known about the malware, but it is being treated as a legitimate threat by VirusTotal and Hybrid Analysis and spreads via a file called 'nRansom.exe'.

Although it is not known if it's just an elaborate prank or not, the ransomware demands 'at least 10 nude pictures' of the victim after forcing them to create a Protomail account, which will then be 'verified' as legitimate by the attacker. How this will happen is anyone's guess, but these need to be sent through to a specified email address after an initial exchange. Once verified, a code will allegedly be sent which then can be used to disable the malware - if you were brave enough that is.

The 'nRansomware' is quite haphazardly assembled, with a background of Thomas the Tank Engine, smiling with vulgarity superimposed on the image. Once run, it plays a looped version of the theme song from the HBO TV-show Curb Your Enthusiasm. Further information about this new "creative" malware is sparse at the moment, and it's not known how many people have been hit by this unfortunate attack.

Ransomware has become a concerning problem with several attacks being carried out over the past year including the notorious WannaCry outbreak, but more recently, an email campaign distributing Locky and FakeGlobal malware. A study recently found that victims have paid over $25 million in ransom payments to get access to their files in the past two years alone and it seems that now this will be extended to nude photographs.

To limit the reach of these malware types, it is recommended that you ensure that you always have an up-to-date version of your anti-virus, and of course, the latest version of your operating system.

Source: Motherboard

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.22_10h05m36s_001_.png

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
"After that we will have to verify that the nudes belong to you." How? :p

That was the first thing I thought when I read that...

It sounds more like a prank than an actual ransonware. Looks like it does not encrypt anything and the report does not say if it may be simply killed on task manager to return to your normal desktop...

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Well quite frankly i will happily send them a nude of me, it is enough to scare the living daylights out of anyone thus most likely resulting in a fatal heart attack then they can't do it to anyone else :eek:

No seriously, how low will these people go ? I can just imagine some terrified kid/teenager who gets caught with this and they will pay up or even do something worse to themselves for fear of a photo being published. Come to think of it, wasn't a similar ransomware going around a few months ago where some kids actually took their own life and although they tracked down the alleged culprits they had no actual proof to prosecute them. The world is full of sick, evil people :mad:

Maliek

Level 1
Mar 23, 2017
The e-mail address where you need to send the nudes to is also quite funny imo.

Those ransomwares really getting creative :eek: what's the next step? Date me for the decryption key? Give me you organs for decryption key? Talk to me for decryption key?...

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.