NSA can hack WiFi devices from eight miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
The NSA may have the ability to intercept data from around the world, but we now know that it has some impressive (and intimidating) equipment for snooping on nearby targets. Security guru Jacob Appelbaum told those at the Chaos Communications Congress this weekend that the NSA's big box of tools includes Nightstand, a custom device that can compromise WiFi networks for the sake of inserting spy software. The Linux-powered device can exploit Windows systems from up to eight miles away; it's unlikely that you'll catch agents wardriving in the parking lot. Nightstand may not see significant use today given that it dates back to 2008, but its existence suggests that the NSA also has newer, more advanced WiFi surveillance gear at its disposal.

I

illumination

Why do i have these serious doubts that the NSA would ever let "their tools" and information about them be leaked like this..
Anyone care to humor me?

Reactions: Exterminator
D

Deleted member 178

disinformation, disclose big pompous fake truth to hide true ones better

zone 51 : let people wondering about UFOs while testing the stealth bomber
JFK assassination: let people wondering about a conspiracy with many shooters, when a single high skilled operative from a secret and must-stay-secret-agency with high tech sniper rifle and rotating bullets did the job.
Moon Landing: let people think it was an simple exploration to collect datas when it was a research mission to retrieve Alien technology abandoned on the Moon, those techs influenced the development and creation of computer chips and modern devices (Iphone, alienware laptops, google glass, etc..) and military weapons (neutron bombs, stealth bombers, captain america, MIB, etc...)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Why do i have these serious doubts that the NSA would ever let "their tools" and information about them be leaked like this..
Anyone care to humor me?

I agree,highly unlikely that the they are going to let anyone peek into their "Big Box Of Tools".Paranoia is running rampant :D Whatever the technology they have,I am not sure I want to know.Can't do anything about it anyway.

it's unlikely that you'll catch agents wardriving in the parking lot.

Why Wardrive @ Vancouver, WA's Brewed Awakenings coffee house,when you can get their wifi from the Dunkin Donuts 8 miles away

Reactions: illumination

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Whatever the technology they have,I am not sure I want to know.Can't do anything about it anyway.
That's right, bury your head in the sand and tell yourself the world above doesn't exist.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
That's right, bury your head in the sand and tell yourself the world above doesn't exist.
Ohh,it exists and I am not burying my head in the sand but I doubt that most if this stuff is going to be leaked.

2luc8t3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 178
I

illumination

Remember Edward Snowden?

Just how much do you know about military/government operations?
Not everything is documented so it that it has an opportunity to be leaked.. Especially classified tools/weapons.

All Governments have been doing this for a very long time, they are quite aware of the internet, and access to information, do you seriously think they have not accounted for this?

Reactions: Gnosis

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Just how much do you know about military/government operations?
I served in the military and most recently worked as a contractor with the department of education, although I don't know what that has to do with the time of day. This isn't about me. It is about credible people who are bringing to light what has been in the shadows for a long time. Until the Snowden revelations this majority of US citizens were clueless to the extent the government trampled on their privacy. Now others are digging to find out how far down the rabbit hole this thing goes.

Last edited:
I

illumination

I served in the military and most recently worked as a contractor with the department of education, although I don't know what that has to do with the time of day. This isn't about me. It is about credible people who are bringing to light what has been in the shadows for a long time. Until the Snowden revelations this majority of US citizens had no clue the extent to which the government trampled on their privacy. Now others are digging to find out how far down the rabbit hole this thing goes.

Really, what was your MOS? You see, im ex military as well. As such the case, i should not have had to point this out to you, as you would be aware.. My point is, since this is happened, im seeing posts of all these things supposedly the NSA has been doing, or tools they use.. These posts, are not from the supposed documents that were leaked, they are coming out of the blue.

As far as the US citizens, with their trampled privacy on the internet ect, as i pointed out in another forum, ALL countries have been doing this for a very long time, spying on each other, monitoring each other..

My question is, with the criminals online targeting anyone and everyone, and then of course the terrorist using online as well for communications, all of which, are using tools to do so secretly, just how is a government supposed to protect itself and its citizens? This part is not mentioned in all these rants on the NSA..

Now back on subject, i stated, that, just like with this post above, i do not believe the government would allow "tools" like this to be leaked, if they did exist. As i also stated, not "EVERYTHING" is documented by governments, and agency's, and for good reason.

Of course, you being ex military, should be aware of this.

Edit: i would like to add.. That many of these posts i see contradict each other.. I see some post claiming the NSA is trying to obtain backdoors by forcing organization's to comply, via fines if they do not, i see posts, that they have access to their servers mid stream "which makes me wonder why they would need the companies to comply if so" then i read of all these so called tools that allow them to get around all of it, if this is the case, then why do they fight lawmakers on 20 year old laws, that prevent them from doing their jobs properly with the changes in today, and why are they hammering on these organizations to gain access to information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gnosis

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think what some of us are saying is that some of these things are only known by those with an extremely high security clearance.Snowden,yes that is an example of someone leaking information but I am sure the government has taken measures to make sure this doesn't happen again.Can they prevent it from happening again probably not.
Is it good to know what our government is doing,yes.Is there really anything we can do to prevent it,probably not.Can we educate ourselves and change our habits to protect ourselves,yes.
Like illumination said above some things we don't need to know because they are in the interest of the security of our citizens.There are a lot of bad people in this world and if this requires technology that could be used on us,then go for it.Will they really put all these resources into spying on the average Joe,I personally doubt it.
On the other hand I respect your opinion on the matter.However everyone interprets and or is entitled to voice there own opinion on these articles.They are made for discussion and not to force an opinion on members.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
My question is, with the criminals online targeting anyone and everyone, and then of course the terrorist using online as well for communications, all of which, are using tools to do so secretly, just how is a government supposed to protect itself and its citizens?
I am going to ask you a question in turn. Here is a link to an article I read recently: NSA admits employees spy on husbands, boyfriends, and girlfriends. How does it inspire your confidence? Who else are they doing this to? Neighbours? People that they may, or may not, have a beef with?

Now back on subject, i stated, that, just like with this post above, i do not believe the government would allow "tools" like this to be leaked, if they did exist. As i also stated, not "EVERYTHING" is documented by governments, and agency's, and for good reason.
I would wager that there are people within that are willing to divulge info for a price. We live in a world where some people sell their souls for a dollar. And not every leaker makes the front page news like Snowden.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2050100/nsa-admits-employees-spied-on-loved-ones.html#tk.nl_secur

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am going to ask you a question in turn. Here is a link to an article I read recently: NSA admits employees spy on husbands, boyfriends, and girlfriends. How does it inspire your confidence? Who else are they doing this to? Neighbours? People that they may, or may not, have a beef with?

Yes but this article is about NSA employees using the technology to spy on people they know.This is no different than a cop running a plate for someone so they can find out where they live.A cell phone employee giving out passwords to those who are going to use them to buy phones and equipment illegally.These are employees and not the NSA as a whole

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
On the other hand I respect your opinion on the matter.However everyone interprets and or is entitled to voice there own opinion on these articles.They are made for discussion and not to force an opinion on members.
You can believe whatever you want to believe. Me, I don't go for the notion of having my eyes wide shut.

I

illumination

I would wager that there are people within that are willing to divulge info for a price. We live in a world where some people sell their souls for a dollar. And not every leaker makes the front page news like Snowden.

From the same article.. Sure, you are going have a few people that will abuse things, as in any case, business, ect. It still does not deter the fact, that without doing this, the government would be completely blind.

12 substantiated cases of willful violation over 10 years
We hold ourselves accountable very day

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

You can believe whatever you want to believe. Me, I don't go for the notion of having my eyes wide shut.

your eyes are wide open but you live in an illusion world since your birth, you eat genetically modified organism that reduce your health, you are a living test subject for pharmaceutical companies via vaccines containing unknown chemicals claiming to heal you, you works like a mule to pay things that enslave you and nourish the top the social pyramid, you watch brainwashing Tv shows to make you forget that you are the new world order slave, you believe you are your own master but you are manipulated unconsciously by fake infos made by agencies that exploit your subconscious...

you are a puppet with invisible string in a real world theatre, all what you perceive, think and behave is just a lie.

qlnAYG2.jpg

Reactions: BoraMurdar

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
your eyes are wide open but you live in an illusion world since your birth, you eat genetically modified organism that reduce your health, you are a living test subject for pharmaceutical companies via vaccines containing unknown chemicals claiming to heal you, you works like a mule to pay things that enslave you and nourish the top the social pyramid, you watch brainwashing Tv shows to make you forget that you are the new world order slave, you believe you are your own master but you are manipulated unconsciously by fake infos made by agencies that exploit your subconscious...

you are a puppet with invisible string in a real world theatre, all what you perceive, think and behave is just a lie.
:D True that! But as best as I can I am trying to change the things I can. Very astute comment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.