Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox with Ublock Origin Extension with default filter list
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
Windows 10 internal backup same as Windows 7
Manual file copy and organization to External Hard Drive of important files /then disconnected from computer
System recovery
Windows 10 internal backup same as Windows 7
Macrium Reflect Free
Ashampoo Backup

NZRADAR

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Here is my very overdue update on my current Security config. Thanks for reviewing it. There are various areas of my config that regularly change, but overall I try to avoid security bloat and aim for stable and manageable setups. Although I will do research into other products,
that may enhance all the things listed below, I try to avoid products that use over hyped terminology, but still maintain an active interest in advances in computer security.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@NZRADAR : please kindly consider:
  • As fot "Real-time Web & Malware Protection", probably MWB Premium is not enough for a good real-time protection, but since You already have a Premium license, You may mitigate using SysHardender, or even pair it with OSArmor (if You like prompts and ads exclusions).
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may add some browser extensions: and a VPN service.
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
  • Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here.
Thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

Reactions: NZRADAR and JM Safe

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Important first: Set UAC to Always Notify.

Alongside MBAM Premium & WD, you could add VoodooShield or OSArmor w/ Syshardener @Evjl's Rain settings

Other aspects you could include
  • Add ZAM Free
  • Add Windscribe Free VPN
  • Consider using Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper as backup software (only backup personal & important files)
Firefox Extension you could add
  • Scriptsafe (whitelist websites for script, unwanted content & more)
  • Malwarebytes Browser Extension (for all sorts of threats)
  • Cookie Autodelete (only use if you don't intend on logging in all the time)
  • Netcraft (top rate Phishing protection during my tests, also has XSS protection too)
Thanks for sharing!

~LDogg

NZRADAR

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Thankyou harlan4096 LDogg , JM Security

Thanks For suggestions I have looked and used all of the above at times,

OSArmor w/ Syshardener I will look into more , I really like to understand them first and what its doing on my machine , and how to revert all changes fully.

I cannot bring myself to trust password managers yet so I have a slow clumsy offline way of managing them which also helps me use my brain more (y)

I will use Norton Power Eraser , ZAM on occasion , Though ZAM free leaves stuff in the system after uninstalling it.

A VPN I consider if experimenting in a Virtualized environment , I have a free Winscribe account

I forgot to mention I do use various DNS servers other than my ISPs at times as another layer of protection /not sure still thinking about Cloudflare DNS and APNIC 5 year renewable research agreement with them.

Aside from the above I am studying and trying out at times block at first sight and other more aggressive group policy's to do with File and Network protection like allowing real time protection updates based on policy Allow real-time definition updates based on reports to Microsoft MAPS

I will have a l look at scriptsafe / if there is to much scripting in any site I tend to right them off or attempt to investigate what the scripts are attempting to do

I have used Malwarebytes Browser Extension in Firefox and given it a good thrashing and so far have been very impressed with it except for the beta seems to crash the browser on startup sometimes and I need eventually a completely fresh Firefox install (investigate)

Thanks again for your input and I will try to update my security config more regularly

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

This is the type of mindset that will add the strongest layer of security on your system. Keep it up.

I agree with this! Take the time to learn the software and understand it as best you can. It may suit your needs, or it may not, but having a good grasp on how they work and what they can/cannot do will ensure that you are able to create a setup that works for you and your needs :)

I

illumination

Would like to add this here...

*Safe Habits*

-Knowledge: This should be the base of any good security configuration. Learning safer habits and utilizing your security as a "just in case" instead of trying to use many layers of applications to make up for lack of understanding.

-This should include the following aspects.

1. Be leery of clicking links especially in email or instant messages. Verify URL's, not only by manually looking at them, but also running them through URL scanners such as the one at Virus Total. If you are unsure still, the best course of action is to not click that link.

Bookmark important sites: A misspelled address could take you to a false site that mirrors the site you intended to go to. A book marked address will take you to the same site every time.

Passwords: In general you would be better off utilizing one of the many password managers, but as it often sometimes is, most average users do not, or can not, so keep this little bit of information in mind if this is the case.

Do not use the same password for all sites, if you are limited on what you can remember then please make sure to be careful and not use the same password for any of the sites you frequent as the ones you use for your email. If the site is to be breached, you would not want them to gain access to your email via same used passwords. Passwords should be strong, hard to guess or crack, password managers all have generators built in for building and storing strong passwords.

2. Updates/Patches:

Run maintenance on your system as you would a vehicle, consider it preventive maintenance. Always make sure to keep your system and applications patched. These patches and updates are for a good reason, they are plugging holes in your surface of attack. While i recommend keeping patched always, i would also state to do your research on certain updates for the OS/drivers/applications before applying, make sure there is not a fresh set of new bugs to contend with that are worse then what they are patching, this happens more often then most realize.

If you limit the amount of 3rd party applications on your system, you also limit the time doing maintenance, you limit the amount of freshly introduced bugs, and you keep your surface of attack smaller, and in the end, your machine will thank you for it by running better and being more enjoyable.

3. Back ups:

This is more important then security. No security out there can achieve 100% protection, if they could, they would already have a monopoly on the market and would have run all others out of business. Prepare for the worst, strive for the best.

Personal items are of the utmost important files on your system, once lost, they can not be replaced. Backing up externally or into the cloud "both recommended by me", so as to ensure you always have a copy of it obtainable. If something were to happen, you lose nothing this way, and can start freshly if needed.

Using images to create snapshots of your system works well for those who neither have the knowledge or time to repair/wipe a system. Windows has a built in option, although there are 3rd party options. It is a good idea also to keep on hand Microsofts media creation tool burnt to a flash drive, updated when needed. With this you can run repairs or wipe the system and build it from a clean install, which after a nasty infection, is always recommended to ensure you have eradicated the issue.

4. Security:

It has always been recommended for users to try applications for themselves. These products all have trials "most of them anyway", for this very reason. Test drive them for a couple weeks, does it fit your uses, is it running ok on your system and resources, are you comfortable with the settings and layout to get around and adjust it as necessary.

Learning the product is recommended here. Most throw them on with default settings and never venture in to settings to realize there is much more then meets the eye. Google search is handy for learning these, as are the manuals most of the products companies produce and are freely accessible. Watching youtube videos of a product will not help you decide what is best for you. You need to experience the product and settings to fully grasp it.

Understand you are a home user, and you are not targeted like corporations and businesses. The chances of you seeing sophisticated attacks and malware on that level are quite slim. There is no need for paranoia when you cover your basics, keep everything patched, backed up, use caution/safe habits when surfing.

Be careful what you divulge to websites "personal information", these as seen in the news are not as secure as they should be, once your information is in someone else's hands, anything can happen to it.

Know that the more security you pile on your system, the chances of incompatibilities/bugs arise and issues may occur. Finding a proper balance of application to knowledge ratio is fully recommended.

~illumination

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Good setup. Harlan4096 and Ldogg- just wanted to know why Malwarebytes premium and windows defender are not sufficient.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.