O&O Defrag 22 Pro (September 19, 2018)

9724anon7537

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
Our new O&O Defrag 22 Pro is now available with some groundbreaking new features!

Windows – and in the case of SSDs, the controller of the SSD – distributes files into individual file fragments when saved, in each case in the next free and “suitable” memory sections, called Pages. In the remainder of this blog entry, I explain why this behavior slows down not only a classic hard drive but also SSDs and ultimately leads to an unnecessarily early failure of the storage medium. And I’ll explain why defragmenting an SSD is not a no-go, as is still popularly claimed, but on the contrary: the average life of an SSD is extended by defragmentation using the new SOLID method from O&O Defrag 22.

NEW! O&O Defrag 22 Pro – Optimize SSDs and HDDs With The New SOLID method! | O&O Software

Speed up your PC: O&O Defrag 22

ooBlogStock_ood221-670x428.png

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Never defrag an SSD, massively shortens the life of the disk.
Modern ssds life like forever. It dosnt matter if u defrag them or not, for real. U will most likly not seems a 2018 ssd dies in ur lifespan or until u buy a new pc/laptop with a new one. Im pretty sure when they post u can defrag ssds with there new methode, there is nothing wrong about it.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Modern ssds life like forever. It dosnt matter if u defrag them or not, for real. U will most likly not seems a 2018 ssd dies in ur lifespan or until u buy a new pc/laptop with a new one. Im pretty sure when they post u can defrag ssds with there new methode, there is nothing wrong about it.
I've had people come to me many times in a 6 month period when they have been Defragging an SSD. It massively shortens the life on the disk when being used in that fashion. Some may not experience it, but many do. It's never been recommended to defrag an SSD.

~LDogg

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I've had people come to me many times in a 6 month period when they have been Defragging an SSD. It massively shortens the life on the disk when being used in that fashion. Some may not experience it, but many do. It's never been recommended to defrag an SSD.

~LDogg
Thats why they intruced the new methode. U read the full article?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Thats why they intruced the new methode. U read the full article?
From an aesthetic stand point, this was done from a marketable perspective for people to buy the product. Many companies claim to have new technology for many aspects. Many IT professionals will tell you that SSD defrags are no go. I've even provided sources in my first post.

~LDogg

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Good article here The care and feeding of solid state drives
Quote "Welcome, fellow hard drive owners, to the curious world of SSD optimization! The challenge here is unlearning everything you may have known before. You see, all previous hard drive optimization practices and even software was written for physical drives and their moving parts, not flash memory. Of course, this is slowly changing as more and more consumer products adopt solid state drives, but – particularly for older computers – there are still a lot of unnecessary hard drive management tools trying to fit square pegs in circular holes.

In other words, there’s a lot you don’t need to do. You don’t need to defrag a solid state drive, ever. You don’t need to use software utilities not directly associated with the drive itself. You don’t need to worry as much about environment and temperature. You don’t need to clean anything. So, what can optimize an SSD? Let’s talk about a few important ways."

This article is more technical and through SSD endurance myths and legends articles on StorageSearch.com

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I dont have complet clue how they defrag SSD but im sure O&O are master about optimizing/defrag disk
but faster or later evry company will hit a fail..

Im waiting for some test and previev.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Just got two emails from O&O to different accounts, identical bar for the price - One gives a special offer at $19:95, the second identical offer same single PC at $9:95 - Tried the defragger, still overly complicated for spinning rust drives with five different options to choose from which requires reading up, which is why I don't use the one I got in the past. As my spinning drives only contain passive info such as music photographs etc & as I use SSD for C:\ & data defragging the spinning drives with options other than consolidating them seems pointless.

As for running SOLID on my SSD no discernible difference in boot & I really don't care how long it lasts I don't see the point in changing from PerfectDisk. Though going to try it for a few days, the amount of options put me off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIG EDIT:

I have just done a Macrium Reflect full image of C:\, recently (several weeks) this has been taking 6 - 7 minutes or so - I have just done one with O&O 22 installed & it's just done the fastest image ever, even with less software on @ 4:40 - The reason, I'm not sure but I'm now $9:95 worse off, seems like a bargain! :)

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
O&O produces very good and reliable software. I use their products for ages with no drawbacks. Good german quality products.

I'm pleased with the latest O&O Defrag, it still has speeded up imaging. I'm also in O&O debt for their free first class program 'ShutUp' which does a good job of cutting down MS's telemetry :)

A_Biss

Sep 26, 2018
-The 2 links in the first post are dated June 2016, that's more than 2 years ago.
-What once was true isn't necessarily the case now, especially with high technologies.
-As stated by others, O&O is a German Cie., with a history of making solid pieces of software.
-All O&O's statements about Defrag 22 cannot be simple lies, otherwise they would put their name in jeopardy, and lose all credibility.
-Lastly, Germans have a history of being top engineers, it's in their DNA, I'm referring to WW2 (sadly).

My 2 cents! :)

Reactions: vtqhtr413

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
-The 2 links in the first post are dated June 2016, that's more than 2 years ago.
-What once was true isn't necessarily the case now, especially with high technologies.
-As stated by others, O&O is a German Cie., with a history of making solid pieces of software.
-All O&O's statements about Defrag 22 cannot be simple lies, otherwise they would put their name in jeopardy, and lose all credibility.
-Lastly, Germans have a history of being top engineers, it's in their DNA, I'm referring to WW2 (sadly).

My 2 cents! :)
Defragging SSDs is a no go regardless of what a reputable company says when trying to sell their latest products. It's fact that Defragging an SSD shortens it's life. With HDDs this is not the case. I've asked a couple of experts based on this too, they've said the same thing: Never defrag an SSD.

~LDogg

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's fact that Defragging an SSD shortens it's life.
With modern SSDs, defragging them will not have a significant effect on their life. For example, this is the result of some tests.
How Long do SSDs Really Last?
The outcome of the tests conducted were astonishing: All of the drives tested were able to write more data than what was promised by the producer. Even cheaper drives were able to write more data than promised: The Crucial BX 200 drives were able to write 187 TB and 280 TB – that is more than 2.5 times the figure promised.

One of the Samsung SSD 850 PRO drives achieved a figure of 9.1 petabytes of data written! That’s 60 times the TBW figure Samsung promises on their data sheets. The other Samsung product – the Samsung SSD 750 Evo – was able to write 1.2 petabytes of data, which equals (in theory) to more than 80 years of constant writing. However, the pro models showed why their price is higher: None of them did write less than 2.2 Petabyte of data.
SSDs should last for a very long time, if they are defragged or not.

nickoftime

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
A far more recent incident shows us that Germans can be fantastic crooks, too. Moral of the story: please don't use such pointless labels. Germans can make great software, and they can also make bad software. Same goes for everyone else on the planet.

Good german quality products
Germans have a history of being top engineers, it's in their DNA, I'm referring to WW2 (sadly)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.