Advice Request O&O ShutUp 10 Question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JasonUK

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 14, 2020
Trying this privacy tool out with Recommended Settings at the moment but have one issue which I'd appreciate assistance with:

Since enabling ShutUp I am no longer able to change 'Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites' security setting on Edge (Chromium). Previously I had set that to use Quad9. It now indicates that this setting is disabled for managed browsers. Other settings such as 'Do Not Track' & checking for saved payment details are similarly disabled but the options to toggle these are obvious in ShutUp but for the life of me I can't see the option for secure DNS. Can someone put me out of my misery?! :)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I don't use that program so can't specify that setting but you could try a registry hack and delete all policies

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
@JasonUK
My self and others do not enable O&O ShutUp Edge restrictions, leaving those disable (red). We achieve the same results by disabling what we want on Edge> Settings> Privacy & Security. It may take a little of your time and Edge wont throw a tantrum and giving that message.
BTW your preferred DNS can be set systemwide in Network and Internet on Change Adaptor Settings,

JasonUK

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 14, 2020
@JasonUK
My self and others do not enable O&O ShutUp Edge restrictions, leaving those disable (red). We achieve the same results by disabling what we want on Edge> Settings> Privacy & Security. It may take a little of your time and Edge wont throw a tantrum and giving that message.
BTW your preferred DNS can be set systemwide in Network and Internet on Change Adaptor Settings,
Don't use O&O ShutUp10 to manage Edge.
Turn off all Microsoft Edge & Microsoft Edge (legacy version) O&O ShutUp10 switches.
That makes sense, just don't use the Edge settings in O&O ShutUp ~ I had just accepted ShutUp's recommended settings before tweaking the list. I had already set the Edge privacy settings before trying ShutUp so it makes sense to just not accept those blanket recommendations. On the DNS settings I usually use Adguard for Windows with Quad9 DNS but had been trying AdGuard Adblocker v4 Beta so set the secure DNS in my browsers.

Thanks for all replies.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
If you change just one Edge setting in O&O, you won't be able to choose your DNS provider. If you also want to use the new clipboard in W11, you also have to be careful with the settings you select. But for everything else, I don't have any issues with O&O.

Capture d’écran 2022-01-07 063844.jpg

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I stopped using Shut-Up over a year ago on 10, it seemed that is was causing issues with Win Update, after I did a reinstall I never used it again & haven't on 11 - IMO if MS really want to snoop on me (unlikely) there are many ways they can do it - I go through all the settings esp. on privacy & set it as I wish, had no issues though that could be coincidence? But sticking with that rule - I do use O&O App Remover though without problems.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
For the normal monthly updates I never had problems with it and I had like 90% of all options active.
I once had a harder time with a feature (not security) update but that could be because I also messed with GPO setting manually (to avoid/delay feature updates as long as possible).
So for me in worst case I had to download the windows update assistant and give the feature update a hard push.
Just remember a working backup is always nice to have (as a general rule not because of O&O):D

Reactions: Venustus and Back3

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.