OEMs required to provide regular Android security updates

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google will be putting some pressure on manufacturers to secure handsets.

Speaking at Google I/O, David Kleidermacher -- the head of Android platform security -- said:

"We've also worked on building security patching into our OEM agreements. Now this will really lead to a massive increase in the number of devices and users receiving regular security patches."​

At the moment, there is no indication of quite when this policy might come into force, nor how strict Google would be about enforcing it. It's also not clear how much the change in policy would help owners of older handsets who have not received security updates for quite some time -- it is likely to apply, at best, to phones with Oreo and newer.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Sounds good but just how much pressure can Google put on manufacturers ? Google are not a law enforcement so theoretically they can't force them to do it. Although i assume that they just wouldn't allow any of their apps/os on devices and then no one would be in business. I sincerely hope they do come to an agreement as it is better for the consumer.

Finally (y) I hope we can the results soon, but probably too late for the older devices people have.

Yeah, that's me, my phone is pretty ancient by todays standards but i won't be upgrading until it actually dies a death.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

This is great news! Hopefully they can keep the pressure on these manufactures.

Sounds good but just how much pressure can Google put on manufacturers ? Google are not a law enforcement so theoretically they can't force them to do it. Although i assume that they just wouldn't allow any of their apps/os on devices and then no one would be in business. I sincerely hope they do come to an agreement as it is better for the consumer.

Yeah, that's me, my phone is pretty ancient by todays standards but i won't be upgrading until it actually dies a death.

I am assuming there are licence agreements between Google and the manufacture(s) to sell these phones (I could be wrong though). If so, maybe Google can threaten to cancel these agreements, effectively removing the offending company's ability to sell Android phones?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.