Official Tor browser for Android gets first stable release

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
If you have heard a thing or two about security and privacy protection online, then you’ve probably also heard of Tor. It is the most popular privacy-focused browser, which hides your location by redirecting the traffic to multiple proxy networks and also blocks trackers. To put it in short, it is a go-to web browser for those who never want to be tracked and browse 100% anonymously. Until recently, it was only available on desktop devices. Now, the stable version is available for Android, too.

The first alpha build of Tor was released back in September of 2018. As you’d expect, it had a lot of bugs and stability issues. Tor now claims that they’ve worked hard on the feedback and the 8.5 version of Tor is stable enough to debut on Android. Feature-wise, it still isn’t as complete as the desktop version of the browser, but you can see in the bug tracker that the development team and contributors are actively working on improving the experience on mobile.

Source: Official Tor browser for Android gets first stable release

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
When tested TOR at below it says

Without VPN

Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors tested in the past 45 days, only one in 65388.67 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 16.0 bits of identifying information.

With VPN

Within our dataset of several hundred thousand visitors tested in the past 45 days, only one in 49057.25 browsers have the same fingerprint as yours.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys 15.58 bits of identifying information.

Stoutner Privacy Browser result is as below

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 196,185 tested in the past 45 days.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 17.58 bits of identifying information.

For Kiwi Browser its

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 196,206 tested in the past 45 days.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 17.58 bits of identifying information.

Note :- For Stoutner and Kiwi browsers no difference in results with or without VPN

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Now using it. Kinda like it albiet a bit slow. It comes with HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript extensions. Removed HTTPS Everywhere since I don't find it useful

Added a few extensions like

UBO using it as a static filter with some addon filters
Decentraleyes
Etag Stoppa
Invidition
I don't care about cookies
Privacy Pass

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Now using it. Kinda like it albiet a bit slow. It comes with HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript extensions. Added a few extensions like

UBO in easy mode with some filters Decentraleyes
Etag Stoppa
Invidition
Privacy Pass
If youre planning to add extensions, isnt it more handy to just download orbot and tunnel it throught firefox only..would be faster?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If youre planning to add extensions, isnt it more handy to just download orbot and tunnel it throught firefox only..would be faster?
TOR itself allows the addition of extensions.

The net says that you can use Orbot and TOR together but I'm not sure what Orbot's role now that TOR has become a stable version

Do I need FF if I use Orbot alone? FF for android is sunsetting soon

I started a VPN and then TOR so not sure what happens if I use with Orbot together

A bit confused here...

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
TOR itself allows the addition of extensions.

The net says that you can use Orbot and TOR together but I'm not sure what Orbot's role now that TOR has become a stable version

Do I need FF if I use Orbot alone? FF for android is sunsetting soon

I started a VPN and then TOR so not sure what happens if I use with Orbot together

A bit confused here...
You can use orbot in full mode for everything, or just run it throught tunnel and select specific apps to use it

When i tried it few days ago, checked browserleak, it was working like VPN atleast

And i thought tor browser itself just offers connection to onion sites, and ff+ orbot doesnt. And yes you can run blink browsers throught orbot if the speed is what matters

I dont use them, but only tried orbot for while and it seemed handy...but im not after that kind of privacy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I think I found a bug. It's regarding NoScript. I have upgraded from 10.6.1 to the latest 10.6.2 for my tablet and phone

When I open a site, say malwaretips.com, and save as 'Trusted' it does not stick when I quit TOR or when I restart the phone. I need to 'Trusted' the same site again the next time. So if I have 50 sites to be 'Trusted' again it becomes a problem every time I quit TOR or restart my phone.

This does NOT happen to FF on my tablet and for android whereby the sites remain 'Trusted' sticky after the restart of my phone. Neither does the problem shows up in NoScript used in my chromium-based Kiwi browser

Anyone has this problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moonhorse

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Anyone can recommend phishing protection when using TOR? Tried all the below and they are not working.

1) Netcraft phishing protection extension is not available for TOR although TOR uses Firefox
2) Zelda Anti-Phishing extension not performing as well
3) Paid AVs that come with anti-phishing feature only protects the mainstream browsers. This includes the free Sophos Mobile Security as well
4) Openphish filter in uBO is useless when tested against phishing
5) Standalone Blackfog Privacy's anti-phishing feature doesn't work when tested. I think BFP is not supporting TOR browser

All testings were done against links at openphish and phishtank sites

Running out of ideas now........

BTW, my extensions now are

NoScript (default)
UBO using it as a static filter with some addon filters
Decentraleyes
Etag Stoppa
Invidition
Privacy Pass
IDN Safe
CSS Exfil Protection

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
New TOR update

What's New
* Update Torbutton to 2.1.10
* Bug 30565: Sync nocertdb with privatebrowsing.autostart at startup
* Bug 30464: Add WebGL to safer descriptions
* Translations update
* Update NoScript to 10.6.2
* Bug 29969: Remove workaround for Mozilla's bug 1532530
* Update HTTPS Everywhere to 2019.5.13
* Bug 30541: Disable WebGL readPixel() for web content
* Bug 30635: Sync mobile default bridges list with desktop one

Just a note. Since NoScript is still 10.6.2 the issue mentioned in my above post #7 still remains

On my part I removed Invidition extension since watching YouTube is just terribly slow

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, just tested. If you want to protect against phishing using uBO in TOR add the following filters from filterlists.com

Phishing Army
Phishing Army Extended

Not as effective as Netcraft Extension (which is unavailable in TOR) but better than none

Added StoragErazor extension to auto delete DOM storage/IndexedDB super cookies (in FF as well). My extensions are as below

NoScript (default)
UBO - using it as a static filter with some addon filters
Decentraleyes
Etag Stoppa
StoragErazor
Keyboard Privacy
IDN Safe
CSS Exfil Protection
Behind The Overlay

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.