Oh Britain. Worried your routers will be hacked, but won't touch the admin settings

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Survey shows people don't act on insecure wireless routers

Recent Mirai-style attacks against home broadband routers have had some effect but the majority of users have failed to act.

A survey of 2,000 broadband users found the majority (53 per cent) have not changed the Wi-Fi password and other default settings, potentially opening themselves up to attack.

The poll by ISP comparison website Broadband Genie found that more than half (54 per cent) were concerned about the possibility of their router being hacked.

Shockingly, despite these concerns, the poll found that just 19 per cent had accessed the router administration controls on their router, 22 per cent had checked what devices are connected to their network, a meagre 17 per cent had changed their administrator password, and just 14 per cent had updated their router’s firmware. Women were less likely to update and change the settings on their router than men, according to the poll.

A big majority (86 per cent) of users opted to stick with the router provided by their ISP rather than purchase an alternative.

Ondrej Vlcek, CTO at security software firm Avast, commented: “Home routers are weak and, therefore, also vulnerable, because for the most part, internet service providers, router manufacturers and the security community have neglected to acknowledge, scrutinise, and address their weaknesses.

“Over the last few months, Avast scanned over 4.3 million routers around the world and found that 48 per cent have some sort of security vulnerability. Today’s router security situation reminds me of the security of PCs in the 1990s, with simple vulnerabilities being discovered every day,” he added.

Rob Hilborn, head of strategy at Broadband Genie, added: “Despite broadband being in the majority of UK homes, it feels as if routers haven’t been designed with your average consumer in mind. Usability is generally poor, and changing something as simple as a Wi-Fi password can require you to go through multiple pages and acronyms. Improving and simplifying these systems is a good place for us to start if we’re serious about the public doing more to protect their router.”

More information on the survey can be found in a blog post by Broadband Genie here. ®

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
The survey should ask users if they know they can access the router and modify the settings and how to do it.
I think most normal people (not IT/security savvy) don't know at all how/where/what to change to be able to increase the security of their router.o_O
Is the user fault or the company that designed and sold in many cases a way insecure and difficult to update device?...if updates are available...:mad:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Is the user fault or the company

I think it goes both ways really. No software is 100% bug-free and unexploitable, but we have abstract problems hitting a blissfully ignorant and jaded audience. I don't expect anything to change about that in the future.

The internet and its technologies are such a major building block of today's society that you have to get aquainted with it or ignore it and get bit in the behind some time down the road. It's inevitable.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In my opinion this survey is total rubbish, as I believe in this instance the blame should not be put on the consumer.
  • Routers are not well designed.
  • Routers settings are hidden via the browser.
  • Settings pages are not clean or designed for touch.
  • The Advanced settings are not explained for the average user.
  • None or Lack of configuration via a mobile app (Android and iOS).
  • Not everyone owns a desktop/laptop computer.
  • ... even IoT devices are poorly designed.
The target audience for Internet (Broadband/Fibre) ranges from the youngest generation to the elderly, and who exactly has time to dig around in the Router?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
In my opinion this survey is total rubbish, as I believe in this instance the blame should not be put on the consumer.
The target audience for Internet (Broadband/Fibre) ranges from the youngest generation to the elderly, and who exactly has time to dig around in the Router?
At my house, I supervise the router and all its settings and my sister always say I'm like a virus for configuring strict rules and tweaking the router rather staying at defaults and putting a very long password which is difficult to remember. She considers me a nagware.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Vasudev Instead of configuring a long and complicated password for all why not;
- Enable MAC Filtering to restrict devices on Home Network
Split network into 2 spaces;
- Create a Guest Network for visiting Family and Friends to use
- Use default password with an additional symbol at end, so it's easy to remember

Back to my main view, Routers are not easy to use for the consumer, therefore survey is BS. :p

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
+1 ... Couldn't have said it better!!:)
I would just add
  • Updates are not always/rarely available
  • Users are not alerted about new updates
  • How can someone put on the market devices with e.g user/passw as "admin"& "password" or not use encryption or solid checks of access????
  • Why can't the manufacturer implement a safe and easy way to update devices? For example, is it so difficult to add a button on the device to start an auto-update process?
Thank you;)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Vasudev Instead of configuring a long and complicated password for all why not;
- Enable MAC Filtering to restrict devices on Home Network
Split network into 2 spaces;
- Create a Guest Network for visiting Family and Friends to use
- Use default password with an additional symbol at end, so it's easy to remember

Back to my main view, Routers are not easy to use for the consumer, therefore survey is BS. :p
Problem is my MAC address can daily and I've configured it that way.
Are you talking about WPS? A PIN based AP to connect other devices easily.

K

KGBagent47

Modern routers are now extremely user friendly, considering the complex task they do. Everyone I know who doesn't understand basic router setup such as network password, admin password or updates (most are automatic now) is because they never tried to learn.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Modern routers are now extremely user friendly, considering the complex task they do. Everyone I know who doesn't understand basic router setup […] is because they never tried to learn.

Couldn't have said it any better. Being ignorant is an active choice.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
For grandma and grandpa router settings are to complicated. I somethimes need to think and remember a lot for the meaning of some settings.

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.