Old Kaspersky vs New ESET ?

Atatrah

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2014
dears

i have more than 30 original Activation codes that its working on kaspersky Total Security for Versions ( 2014+2015+2016+2017+2018)
now i using Eset latest Version

which you prefer ?
Old Kaspersky Versions with Original Activation or Eset latest Version ?

Last edited:

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
ESET. I consider paid AV's largely pointless these days, but if I had to pick 1 it'd definitely fall between ESET and Kaspersky. I'd prefer ESET since it is lighter on resources. There can be some specific reasons to use 3rd party AV, one being if you transfer a lot of large files as WD still slows those file transfer speeds by significant amount compared to other AV's. Their real time scanning algorithm still needs a lot of work to match the efficiency of the best 3rd party solutions.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
I agree with dex4sure about how av are being obsolete these days i think with all the internet news on how we need to be protected
we all got brain washed for many years times are changing all the security companies are in trouble with staying afloat look at
Norton and Sophos and soon there will be more nobody needs all full blown suite windows 10 can do most of the extra users just want to
have an antivirus that protects and stays away from the rest of the machine.i think and im not a fan of but windows defender has alot
more users then we are told. and security companies are starting to lose the user perhaps us users are getting smarter knowing we
do not need the extra package that slows us down.i dont need my system to be controlled but to just be protected.

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
I agree with dex4sure about how av are being obsolete these days i think with all the internet news on how we need to be protected
we all got brain washed for many years times are changing all the security companies are in trouble with staying afloat look at
Norton and Sophos and soon there will be more nobody needs all full blown suite windows 10 can do most of the extra users just want to
have an antivirus that protects and stays away from the rest of the machine.i think and im not a fan of but windows defender has alot
more users then we are told. and security companies are starting to lose the user perhaps us users are getting smarter knowing we
do not need the extra package that slows us down.i dont need my system to be controlled but to just be protected.

Well ironically, one of the only reasons to consider 3rd party AV is performance. Eset for instance is lighter than Windows Defender. Its not about security (at least for me) cause I'd have trouble getting infected even if I did not run any AV.

As I said before, WD has some real problems with file transfer speeds. It attempts to scan every single file you're transferring and I see close to half of my SSD being used by WD and up to 25% of CPU used by WD whenever I do larger file transfers, like moving around large games from one Steam folder to another. In contrast, Eset was using less than 1% of my CPU and barely using the SSD at all during exact same file transfer I did just to test it.

This could be a major reason to still use 3rd party AV especially if you're working with large files. You're getting massive performance penalty with WD.

But yeah I agree AV companies are in trouble its pretty obvious. WD is already enough for any normal user, and once they manage to sort out some of its shortcomings and make the scanner more efficient, there will be no room left for 3rd party AVs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.