Solved older imac - need help w locked browser and security

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperbeagle

Thread author
Oct 2, 2018
This is complicated. The gist is that I have a javascript hijacker on an older mac that won't run apps that deal with such things. Choose where to start:

Background situation:
I have an older imac because I do design work and I paid $1400 for the disk version of adobe creative suite - which doesn't run on anything higher than yosemite 10.10
So, I got this current imac recently bc mine died after 11yrs of hard use. I am slowly upgrading to yosemite but apple has removed both mavericks 10.9 and yosemite 10.10 from their servers. No way to get it without a third party. I am working on that. But atm I am stuck with 10.8.5 - which won't run ANY virus checker... nothing I have found. Malwarebytes won't even run. So I am really vulnerable. I can't run dropbpx or any cloud services and a lot of stuff just doesn't wok. I am not on this OSX level by choice.

The Urgent Problem:
I am using chrome bc it seems to cope better than safari with the limitations. In browsing around I got that stupid %$#@& javascript thing that locks your browser up so you can't do anything. It isn't the FBI one, it just has a window that says the last website I visited infected my computer and to click ok to repair - which of course, I do not do. (see screenshot) I got out of it but it comes back.

Temporary Fix:
I got out of it by choosing view full history in the toolbar. Morons didn't think to lock that one. Getting into history allows a backdoor into settings. I was able to disabled javascript and clear all history, cookies, cache and change any settings that could be contributing. I closed Chrome and when I re-opened I didn't restore the original offending tabs. Perfect, right?

The cat came back:
I started setting things back to usable form and as soon as I tried to load youtube after I turned javascript back on, it hijacked my browser. It took me to a website that had all these boo-scary looking warnings about how my "WINDOWS PC" was in peril. It again gave the same popup and locked everything up. Not the brightest folks doing this. I am running an iMac for one thing. I redid the same steps as before and closed it all down. But obviously, just turning off javascript and then turning it back on doesn't remove this POS. I had to register here using safari, so it is limited to the browser I was using, chrome.

No Options for Virus or Malware checkers:
I can't run malwarebytes. They don't offer legacy versions and neither do any other of the major virus/malware scanners. If anyone knows how I can get something to run on 10.8.5 until I can obtain a higher OS, that would be freaking awesome. I typically run both mwb and avg. I just can't atm.

The Question:
So please. How can I get this rotten, cowardly javascript hijacker off my iMac?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 1.04.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 1.04.27 PM.png
    708.7 KB · Views: 330

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can try Objective-See
Runs on Mac OS X 10.8+

Reset Chrome browser
Reset Chrome settings to default - Google Chrome Help

I'm not sure how people get infected with these things in the first place, but I see you have Vuze installed. Have you recently download/install any programs from the Internet or Torrent. Do you have an out-dated (unpatched) software on your computer?

Reminder to self - Mac OS X 10.8.5 is Mountain Lion

Mod Notes:
Thread moved to appropriate Malware Removal Assistance For Mac sub-forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.