Malwarebytes Antimalware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge - Nano Adblocker medium mode
Brave Beta - Nano Adblocker
Firefox -- uBlock Origin medium mode, Malwarebytes Beta,
Maintenance tools
Windows Disk Cleanup, BleachBit - "Hillary uses it!", Wise Disk Cleaner, CleanMem, Document Anti-Exploit Tool.
File and Photo backup
Windows
System recovery
Macrium Reflect

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
How are you finding TinyWall? I'm probably sticking to Comodo. I have looked at this once before, looks lightweight and good.

~LDogg

Commodo Firewall + CS settings was easy to install but a bit over my head to use. I was not always certain how to treat blocked files and network intrusions, being a non-technical user. I had been using TinyWall for 6 months previous to installing CFW. TW is intuitive for me: if something I wish to use does not function I know it is probably TW blocking and I deal with it. The Learning Mode and whitelisting options make this possible. Otherwise, it is blocking what needs to be blocked & I don't even know it's there. One thing you should know, the developer no longer appears to be supporting the app, and the download from his site is not compatible with MS 1803. You would have to use a version tweaked by a 3rd party who removed the problematic signature. You may find it here: Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update I drank the Kool-Aid cause I wanted my TinyWall back!

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
July 2018 Update:

Windows Defender settings @ Child Protection + SmartScreen @ File Explorer & Edge set to "Warn" + Security Center visible.

Added SysHardener to turn off telemetry and user experience.
Added OSArmor with default settings. Just because. I know it's OVERKILL!
Added some extensions to FF and Chrome. My wife and sister-in-law like Google. That's why I keep it around.
Removed Eraser and Revo Uninstaller Free.

I'm using Edge much of the time now, FF for email and personal. Edge is clean, fast enough and has SmartScreen. I'm liking it more as I continue to use it. Only two extensions but I'm fine with that. Nano Adblocker with 3 added filters - it rocks!

Last edited:

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
July 2018 Update:

Added SysHardener to turn off telemetry and user experience.
Added OSArmor with default settings. Just because. I know it's OVERKILL!
Added some extensions to FF and Chrome. My wife and sister-in-law like Google. That's why I keep it around.
Removed Eraser and Revo Uninstaller Free.

I'm using Edge much of the time now, FF for email and personal. Edge is clean, fast enough and has SmartScreen. I'm liking it more as I continue to use it. Only two extensions but I'm fine with that. Nano Adblocker with 3 added filters - it rocks!
That will be my next security config!Probably the only thing i will change, i will not include OSArmor, i think VoodooShield is enough!

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Removed:

Windows Defender
Zemana Antilogger Realtime
CleanMem
DuckDuckGo

Added:

AVG Free
Hard_Configurator
StartPage

Upgraded:

VoodooShield > VS Pro

I'm test driving AVG Free for now. I like its powered by Spyvast :D & I like the UI! Nice! Using @Andy Ful's H_C and finding it user-friendly, plus it's a learning experience. Ditched CleanMem since I ditched Zemana. Still liking Edge - it's nice and clean & has SmartScreen. I'm only mildly annoyed with a couple of buggy things about it, but hey, it's MS! I like StartPage's search better than DDG. Thanks to all whom share their experience! (y):) I'm still a Level 1 though! :LOL:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Nice setup.(y)
Did you apply "WIndows_10_Avast_Hardened_Mode_Aggressive" profile in Hard_Configurator?

Edit.
AVG is now the Avast product, but it does not have Hardened Mode Aggressive. So, for default-deny setup, Hard_Configurator should be set via recommended settings. Hard_Configurator executables are whitelisted by Avast, so there should not be any problem. <Run As SmartScreen> option in Hard_Configurator will force both SmartScreen check and CyberCapture check.

Last edited:

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Removed:

Windows Defender
CleanMem
DuckDuckGo

Added:

AVG Free
Hard_Configurator
StartPage

Upgraded:

VoodooShield > VS Pro

I'm test driving AVG Free for now. I like its powered by Spyvast :D & I like the UI! Nice! Using @Andy Ful's H_C and finding it user-friendly, plus it's a learning experience. Ditched CleanMem since I ditched Zemana. Still liking Edge - it's nice and clean & has SmartScreen. I'm only mildly annoyed with a couple of buggy things about it, but hey, it's MS! I like StartPage's search better than DDG. Thanks to all whom share their experience! (y):) I'm still a Level 1 though! :LOL:
I tried AVG 6 months ago but i found it too heavy on my system.Although i believe it's a good AV combo with VS.Have you tried KFA or Forticlient with VS?I think it's one step higher in protection(KFA) and lighter(Forticlient) solution.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Removed:

Windows Defender
CleanMem
DuckDuckGo

Added:

AVG Free
Hard_Configurator
StartPage

Upgraded:

VoodooShield > VS Pro

I would keep Zemana AntiLogger @oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Andy Ful - OK! I knew it didn't have hardened/aggressive mode like Avast & left it set at default-deny. I really like H_C! I have so few apps on my machine & no issues so far. (y)

@Nestor - No, I haven't tried KFA (better protection vs. bugs, shell code injection) or Forticlient. I don't switch configs very often. I'm still a WD fan though and like native Windows security > less conflicts, etc.

@JM Security - Will consider. Their technical support replied to my email and said a new version would be coming "in the next months". Will wait and see....

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Removed Cylance

Added Bitdefender Free

Test driving Bitdefender Free. So far, so good. Straight-up antivirus and no bloatware, which is exactly what I want paired with VoodooShield. Higher memory usage, less CPU. Full scan faster than anything I've used so far. Automatic signature updates spike CPU and disk for several seconds - no big deal. Waiting to see if it actually is Bugdefender! :LOL:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Removed Cylance

Added Bitdefender Free

Test driving Bitdefender Free. So far, so good. Straight-up antivirus and no bloatware, which is exactly what I want paired with VoodooShield. Higher memory usage, less CPU. Full scan faster than anything I've used so far. Automatic signature updates spike CPU and disk for several seconds - no big deal. Waiting to see if it actually is Bugdefender! :LOL:
Is sure Bugdefender! :) For me light combo with VS is AVG + VS, 360TS +VS, Avira + VS. Bitdefender + VS kill my system. Work very slow

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Is sure Bugdefender! :) For me light combo with VS is AVG + VS, 360TS +VS, Avira + VS. Bitdefender + VS kill my system. Work very slow

Yes, I'm aware of the reputation. I will reserve judgement until after I use it for a month. BTW, what spec machine do you use AVG on? I use an i3 laptop, 8GB RAM. I just didn't want to jump on the Kaspersky bandwagon. It's all the rage here on the forum. Maybe AVG is in my future? I know it is not favored here for its privacy practices, but I'm not getting into that discussion. In any case, time will tell about BD for me. And they are Romanian, neighbors to some of my ancestors! (y)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Yes, I'm aware of the reputation. I will reserve judgement until after I use it for a month. BTW, what spec machine do you use AVG on? I use an i3 laptop, 8GB RAM. I just didn't want to jump on the Kaspersky bandwagon. It's all the rage here on the forum. Maybe AVG is in my future? I know it is not favored here for its privacy practices, but I'm not getting into that discussion. In any case, time will tell about BD for me. And they are Romanian, neighbors to some of my ancestors! (y)
Realy i like very mutch the Bitdefender. But use many many ram. And the updatesFreezes the pc. I wait near 2 years the new free version but........... nothing. I use the same like you. Laptop i 3 8gb ram

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Realy i like very mutch the Bitdefender. But use many many ram. And the updatesFreezes the pc. I wait near 2 years the new free version but........... nothing. I use the same like you. Laptop i 3 8gb ram

I saw reports about the PC freezing during updates with the last version. I didn't know BD Free was the new version when I installed it a couple of days ago. And I noticed when it updates, the CPU and Disk spike high. This is only a few seconds or so, less than a minute. BD claims that it will learn how you use your system and adapt. I am skeptical of this claim. I guess I will be the guinea pig! :LOL:

We can share experience since we use similar machines. Mine is Lenovo Z560, originally W7. I follow and enjoy your posts. (y)

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I would give it the "Complete" badge, nice config my friend (y)

IMO Bitdefender Free is a better choice compared to Cylance (it is a good solution, but lacks some protection modules).

Yes, Cylance is definitely the fastest of the few AVs I've used. Probably because it doesn't handle scripts. There's nothing for it to do! :LOL:

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Removed Bitdefender Free

Reverted to Windows Defender

3 strikes and you're out. I lost my wifi connection 3 times this month since installing BD Free and it was a pain getting it back. I can't say for certain BD is the culprit in the wifi loss but I'll see what happens with it gone.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Removed Bitdefender Free

Reverted to Windows Defender

3 strikes and you're out. I lost my wifi connection 3 times this month since installing BD Free and it was a pain getting it back. I can't say for certain BD is the culprit in the wifi loss but I'll see what happens with it gone.
What went wrong with BD free?

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What went wrong with BD free?

BD's SSL scanning blocked too many sites on Firefox. Also, I believe it is responsible for repeatedly losing wi-fi connection - maybe 3-4 times over the month trial. Each time it required multiple restarts to get the driver working again.:emoji_grimacing: Otherwise I liked it. So back to WD it is. It works fine for my purposes. :emoji_ok_hand:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.