Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Logethica

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Don't quote me on this but most mobile device protection apps have pretty much the same signatures. If this is true (which I don't know for certain) I would still just stick with one security app as it probably will drain the battery pretty quick.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Indicators
  • Recommend a form of cloud backup for documents or downloaded files.
  • Wasted resources and storage space used by multiple security apps. Remember Android is not Windows. ;)
  • No Data Protection (Encryption)
Verdict: Secure, but take into consideration for improvements for when a PC is not readily accessible.

O

Omnipotent

Thread author
Indicators
  • Recommend a form of cloud backup for documents or downloaded files.
  • Wasted resources and storage space used by multiple security apps. Remember Android is not Windows. ;)
  • No Data Protection (Encryption)
Verdict: Secure, but take into consideration for improvements for when a PC is not readily accessible.
Just read a review, apparently Malwarebytes isn't battery friendly for android devices. I removed it since i have Avast anyways.

Reactions: Logethica
O

Omnipotent

Thread author
Added:
ESET Mobile Security
AppLock
Intruder Selfie

Removed:
Avast Mobile Security
Kaspersky Threat Scan
NoRoot Firewall

Reactions: Jack and Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No problem on the setup, just a little concern cause Samsung is already in hotwater for battery issues.

But overall nothing wrong on the setup.

Reactions: Omnipotent

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
App lock is a waste of time and annoying. What I suggest is learning how to prevent people from getting in your phone in the first place. One step to doing that is encrypting your phone. I believe the newer phones already come encrypted but check to be sure. Another thing you can do is using fingerprint instead of a pin. This would prevent anyone from getting in, in the first place. I also highly recommend disabling unknown sources. That one option is the only thing that makes android unsecure (beside exploits). When you disable that it's just as vulnerable as a iphone.

Reactions: Omnipotent
O

Omnipotent

Thread author
App lock is a waste of time and annoying. What I suggest is learning how to prevent people from getting in your phone in the first place. One step to doing that is encrypting your phone. I believe the newer phones already come encrypted but check to be sure. Another thing you can do is using fingerprint instead of a pin. This would prevent anyone from getting in, in the first place. I also highly recommend disabling unknown sources. That one option is the only thing that makes android unsecure (beside exploits). When you disable that it's just as vulnerable as a iphone.
Fingerprint leaves you even more vulnerable. Somebody can access your phone whilst asleep, force you to open your phone with your fingerprint or clone your fingerprint. Whereas a PIN can come in millions of combinations which makes it harder to bruteforce since repeated entering of an incorrect PIN will lock the phone. As for unknown sources, some useful apps never make it into the play store, that's why i've left it enabled. With an anti-virus installed and only downloading from legitimate websites, i don't see the risk.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.