On Demand Resident or Not ?

LochNess

Thread author
Apr 2, 2011
I'm currently using a single pc for my online banking and other $$$ transaction needs... I only have Audio and Video Drivers, Windows 7 Operating System, EMET, NIS 2012 along with KeyScrambler Premium loaded on system... I also utilize On Demand Software (CCleaner, MBAM, Hitman Pro and Bootable NPE), but do not have them resident on my PC... I only run On Demand Software as portable, or in the case of of MBAM I load then Uninstall after Scan...

I've generally approached the issue with the assumption that 'Less is Best' which provides efficiency with NIS Scanning and other chores the PC performs... I've also had situations with other infected PC's which disable Resident Security Software and make it difficult to uninstall and re-install... I've had 'luck' loading scanning security software (provided the USB/DVD drives haven't been disabled) to fix issues... If not, a Clean System Image is a 'Miracle Drug'....

Well, a lot of verbage to ask a simple question of the forum... is it your opinion that On Demand Security Software is better as Resident or Non-Resident ??? or, possibly both depending on situation ??? Sorry for lengthy introduction... and thanks, in advance, for this forums thoughtful insights.... !!

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I don't think you need to spare computer resources if the PC is only used for banking. And it seems that Windows needs an active antivirus according to most people. The banking PC is probably connected to the same network as other PCs in your house so a worm might spread to it in a worse case scenario. Or why not install a Linux distribution on this banking PC?

LochNess

Thread author
Apr 2, 2011
bogdan said:
I don't think you need to spare computer resources if the PC is only used for banking. And it seems that Windows needs an active antivirus according to most people. The banking PC is probably connected to the same network as other PCs in your house so a worm might spread to it in a worse case scenario. Or why not install a Linux distribution on this banking PC?

Regarding Linux distribution... does Ubuntu qualify ? or would you suggest other source ?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Ubuntu, Mint... they are both easy to use and popular distros that will get the job done. Maybe you can't switch entirely to linux (no games, no Microsoft Office, no Photoshop...unless you use Wine but that might not be ideal) but if you have a PC used for banking, browsing, etc - linux will work.

D

Deleted member 178

If you just do ONLY and ONLY banking and safe surfing (no downloads on P2P, etc..), you just need a program with efficient pro-active and anti-logger features, you will not need any On-demand scanners installed.

You can even skip any AV or Anti-loggers by using a virtualization software like virtualbox, you install a clean OS on it , then using it only to go banking, reloading the image everytime before banking.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
When banking some security software have designed for it especially virtual keyboard for safety putting the information.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
When banking some security software have designed for it especially virtual keyboard for safety putting the information.

That is what Kaspersky has. It has a virtual keyboard for online banking and what not.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
You may wish to install Ubuntu 'inside' Windows if you are only going to use it for banking. Installation is very easy. I have made a tutorial about that:
Sorry if it was not clear, done when the channel was few days old. :D
You have to note that Ubuntu 12.04 is an LTS release, so it is supported for 5 years (LTS releases are now supported for 5 years, not 3). The other releases are supported for 1 years and 6 months, read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases

Last edited by a moderator:

LochNess

Thread author
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for ALL the 'useful' information... I've printed Thread for future reference... Also, downloaded and exploring Ubuntu at this time... Never used 'Linux Distribution' before so I'm looking forward to learning something new... Again, thanks !!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
LochNess said:
Thanks for ALL the 'useful' information... I've printed Thread for future reference... Also, downloaded and exploring Ubuntu at this time... Never used 'Linux Distribution' before so I'm looking forward to learning something new... Again, thanks !!

No problem. Glad that we could be of assistance. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.