Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi everyone,

I would like to compare between zemana and emsisoft emergency kit. If you have tried these products, could you please help me to decide which one is better as a second opinion scanner
I have to use second opinion scanner sometimes in my friends' machines

1/ scanning speed -> to speed up the process
2/ detection rate -> quite important
3/ removal capability -> how effective they can remvove malwares after detecting

Should I keep both or just use only 1 product?
Is zemana with an internet connection better than EEK?
Does EEK also utilize internet to increase detection rate?
Is zemana without internet connection completely useless?

I know malwarebytes is not really a great tool anymore. It might be good in a PUP-infected PCs or slightly infected PCs
Hitmanpro requires a license and I don't like it. Detection rate seems not to be better than zemana

Thank you

NZRADAR

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Hello Evjl's Rain,

In my opinion you can use both

Emsisoft EK is great if you keep it updated as it hold virus signatures on your pc , so it is very good if your internet is not to good and you have updated it regularly previously,

Zemana does also download a small definition set of signatures however it also will make full use of an active internet connection for suspicious files and detections

If you have doubts about your pc security use both and also get help from the forum here as you are probably aware of already (links at the top of the Web page "Malware Help' Section)

:):)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Should I keep both or just use only 1 product?
Is zemana with an internet connection better than EEK?
Does EEK also utilize internet to increase detection rate?
Is zemana without internet connection completely useless?

I know malwarebytes is not really a great tool anymore. It might be good in a PUP-infected PCs or slightly infected PCs
Hitmanpro requires a license and I don't like it. Detection rate seems not to be better than zemana

Thank you

You can keep both. I use both on my thumb drive the Zemana and EEK portable all the time.

The only thing is you might need to consistently update the signature. Zemana on the other hand requires admin permission to load, unlike EEK.

Hitman Pro can be used as OD scanner without license. The license is used for cleaning and removal purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
You can keep both. I use both on my thumb drive the Zemana and EEK portable all the time.

The only thing is you might need to consistently update the signature. Zemana on the other hand requires admin permission to load, unlike EEK.

Hitman Pro can be used as OD scanner without license. The license is used for cleaning and removal purposes.
detected but not removable => useless for me. I need to clean up soneone's PCs as my laptop almost never gets infected

Reactions: Logethica
L

LabZero

Hard to choose.
ZAM has multiple engines and a high detection ratio but it completely depends on the internet.
EEK also has a good detection ratio and it includes the signatures set and Emsisoft Commandline Scanner perfect for batch commands.
Regarding the malware removal, according to my tests on infected systems, both work well, removing the core and dropped files. EEK seems to be most effective by finding some infected registry keys. False positives are not really a problem currently.
My vote is for Zemana.

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
Since both are on demand there is no need to choose, both are good. If you get in position where you need to use something to find and remove malware than more is better (to certain level). Zemana, EEK, Malwarebytes, Hitman, Adwcleaner, JRT, online on demand antivirus all might be used.

One question we might ask instead is which ones are not worth running.

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I would like to compare between zemana and emsisoft emergency kit. If you have tried these products, could you please help me to decide which one is better as a second opinion scanner

Though Zemana is a killer anti-malware, much of its power can be attributed to its cloud technology including Pandora. The free and portable versions will only use signatures and can be less effective.
Emsisoft is a pretty powerful tool too, with its dual engine. That's the better bet!

Reactions: tim one

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I went with EEK. Had to clean an older system for a friend recently and tried both. Zemana detected around 20 threats while Emsisoft detected 9000+. Yeah you read that right. I've never seen it before. He used to do a lot of P2P back in the day and apparently installed anything all willy-nilly. I thought is was mostly FP's, but Eset, Avira system cleaner and Kaspersky reported similar findings. So not sure if it was because the infections were pretty old, but if so they shouldn't purge their database just because it's older malware. But either way just use both anyway..They are both free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.