Advice Request OneDrive or Google Drive?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

L

Local Host

Should be noted that both Google and Microsoft scan files before they are downloaded from OneDrive.com for malware.
Microsoft doesn't, as that would get in the way of my work due to their high FP rates, one the reasons I don't use WD. You can easily host malware in OneDrive, unless you talking through the browser (through the browser the files are scanned).

Last edited:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
On eBay, you can buy Office 365 for 5 PCs + 5 Terabyte Onedrive lifetime storage, all for about $5.
For privacy protection, after you install Office, sign out of the account that was given to you by the eBay vendor. If you wish, you can sign in with your personal Microsoft account. Also, encrypt sensitive data in One Drive. These precautions are because you don't know who has access to your data, when you grab a deal like this.
Also, keep an offline copy of your data, in case the OneDrive account gets cancelled by the admin of that domain.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft doesn't, as that would get in the way of my work due to their high FP rates, one the reasons I don't use WD. You can easily host malware in OneDrive, unless you talking through the browser (through the browser the files are scanned).
File was not uploaded. It was created in the cloud.

1548269489971.png

On eBay, you can buy Office 365 for 5 PCs + 5 Terabyte Onedrive lifetime storage, all for about $5.
For privacy protection, after you install Office, sign out of the account that was given to you by the eBay vendor. If you wish, you can sign in with your personal Microsoft account. Also, encrypt sensitive data in One Drive. These precautions are because you don't know who has access to your data, when you grab a deal like this.
Also, keep an offline copy of your data, in case the OneDrive account gets cancelled by the admin of that domain.
What you explained is basically a scam.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Whether the vendor is breaking the law, I don't know, and that's his problem. If I buy a license from a legal site like eBay, I won't go to jail for that.
I have lots of data that is not sensitive. I don't care if someone listens to my music or looks at pictures of my children. And I have offline copies of everything, so if it disappears, I don't care.
It's worth $5 to me, to have an online backup of everything, accessible from any location.

Reactions: simmerskool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The Seller might not be. Easy money for the scammer, $5 x 100 buyers = profit.

You might as well give cash to muggers, let them get away and not report it. Because if I read that right, you do not care.
The seller might be the legal owner of a domain he doesn't really need anymore, and have rights to set up accounts. Why isn't that a possibility?

L

Local Host

The Seller might not be. Easy money for the scammer, $5 x 100 buyers = profit.

You might as well give cash to muggers, let them get away and not report it. Because if I read that right, you do not care.
I honestly never trusted eBay nor similar stores, they nothing more than auctions (besides the fact they online, and people can easily get scammed).

You better off buying directly from a warehouse like I do (cheaper than retail store).

Reactions: ZeroDay

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Whether the vendor is breaking the law, I don't know, and that's his problem. If I buy a license from a legal site like eBay, I won't go to jail for that.
I have lots of data that is not sensitive. I don't care if someone listens to my music or looks at pictures of my children. And I have offline copies of everything, so if it disappears, I don't care.
It's worth $5 to me, to have an online backup of everything, accessible from any location.

Maybe seller is pedo and would spread your children photos to other pedos.
You guys are paying for VPNs, AVs and then wouldn't mind give all access to cloud to some scammer from india and pay him for it?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Maybe seller is pedo and would spread your children photos to other pedos.
You guys are paying for VPNs, AVs and then wouldn't mind give all access to cloud to some scammer from india and pay him for it?
Okay, so anything is possible. But since my name and identifying credentials are not associated with this OneDrive account, the pedophile will have a very hard time finding my children, especially as I live in a little country in the Middle East. And by the way, I don't pay for VPN or AV. But I understand that some people have a great need for privacy, and that's okay. You don't have to do what I do. :)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Free & Open Source client-side encryption for Google Drive, One Drive : Cryptomator
Consider Duplicati as well. What I like (vs Cryptomator) is that you can upload files without the necessity of local sync. As well the option for versioning exists. On the downside... there is no Android or Apple app. So...

For syncing... Cryptomator
For storage... Duplicati

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
As I have said earlier also that $5 account is good for transferring all the junk that everybody has in the HDDs.
Another thing to be cautious is that some times some pics may contain sensitive data, like many times people take pics of some important documents e.g. I.D. cards, cheques etc. Its better to keep them separate.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Onedrive client has had an irritating bug for a long time where it says it's perpetually syncing x number of files... It does not stop the real sync but is annoying when you just want to check if a big file has finished syncing before shutting down your computer, for instance. Otherwise I never had any problems with it. The multiple accounts and Office alone are worth the price to me.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Onedrive recently deleted hundreds of my files, and did not put them in the recycle bin. However, it did put them invisibly in the recycle bin of my computer, eating up over 20 GB of space in a way that was very hard to figure out. I was able to discover it and delete it by help from Windirtstat. Needless to say, I immediately canceled my subscription to OneDrive.
However, Google Drive is no better. It, too, will destroy all your data.
Make sure you have an offline backup, that's all I can say.
Or use Dropbox, if you are rich. :)

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
If I was going to use either I would use a tool called Cryptomator because I trust neither companies to keep my data safe. I remember having 20GB or so for OneDrive using a link a while ago but I use Sync right now.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Onedrive recently deleted hundreds of my files, and did not put them in the recycle bin. However, it did put them invisibly in the recycle bin of my computer, eating up over 20 GB of space in a way that was very hard to figure out. I was able to discover it and delete it by help from Windirtstat. Needless to say, I immediately canceled my subscription to OneDrive.
However, Google Drive is no better. It, too, will destroy all your data.
Make sure you have an offline backup, that's all I can say.
Or use Dropbox, if you are rich. :)

Keeping a local backup is always a good idea. In my work, for instance, I use lots of files with the same name each one inside a folder with a client's name. It takes only a moment of distraction to overwrite the wrong file and neither Google or Onedrive keep file history. A local backup saved me a lot of work more than once.

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.