Online Armour Free issue with CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Hi
I have some issues with OA,the OAsrv.exe have a large usage of CPU 50-60% and because of that the browsing of internet become very slow,if i turn off the browser or the internet the usage remains the same.
The OA is the latest version 6.0.01768.on the update case i check the beta updates,besides OA i use EAM v7 and both are set to exclude each other.
If you could give me some advice on this issue.
The operating system is windows 7 sp1 ultimate x64 with latest updates.
Sorry for my english.

D

Deleted member 178

high cpu usage comes from constant monitoring of a 3rd party process, check if one of them may cause this.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There could be a possibilities that OAF is busy from a task thus CPU usage increased, did you change some configuration before that happens?

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
jamescv7 said:
There could be a possibilities that OAF is busy from a task thus CPU usage increased, did you change some configuration before that happens?

No i don t change anything.

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Umbra Polaris said:
high cpu usage comes from constant monitoring of a 3rd party process, check if one of them may cause this.

I use daily same programs(utorrent,firefox,radiosure,thunderbird) and all of them are in exclusion list.

Bughead

Verified
Feb 22, 2013
Hii.. you did not change a thing but you are busy downloading.. streaming music..mails..etc..
i guess there is a lot of action going on in the background.
Maybe check your in and outgoing network traffic in online armor.
You can easy block or even delete Network traffic action with OA..most things don't need to go out if not running.

My router does not aloud TMC empty traffic ping in aswel...you need trafficspace for your activities and no loop pings.

All those things get more in time and need to be kept out..or in lol

The good thing with online Armor is, it keeps you on trek about the changes you made and you can easy undo every little step.
maybe this helps..
:shy:

does it happen first time after updating OA ?

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Bughead said:
Hii.. you did not change a thing but you are busy downloading.. streaming music..mails..etc..
i guess there is a lot of action going on in the background.
Maybe check your in and outgoing network traffic in online armor.
You can easy block or even delete Network traffic action with OA..most things don't need to go out if not running.

My router does not aloud TMC empty traffic ping in aswel...you need trafficspace for your activities and no loop pings.

All those things get more in time and need to be kept out..or in lol

The good thing with online Armor is, it keeps you on trek about the changes you made and you can easy undo every little step.
maybe this helps..
:shy:

does it happen first time after updating OA ?
No it happen before to make update to OA.
I did update to it because, i read on the forums that would be the solution, but unfortunately it does not seem to help much.

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
I close all 3rd applications and i set the OA to block all network traffic....nothing helps.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I haven't used Online Armor for awhile now, but back when I did, downloading torrents caused this problem every time.

Make sure when you close uTorrent that it is still not running in the background. Its default action is to close to taskbar tray. It can continue to seed downloaded torrents and eat up resources.

Also just about any third-party firewall will make your download speeds slower and cause even more resources to be used. While downloading torrents it is best to exit and close third-party firewall and then enable Windows Firewall which doesn't cause any problems.

Thanks.:D

Bughead

Verified
Feb 22, 2013
Diurpaneus said:
I close all 3rd applications and i set the OA to block all network traffic....nothing helps.

I'm sorry for that but if it's happen at the moment you go online it must be some kind of malicious webpage dropped something or..

I only can tell U what I would do..cleaning up. Maybe contact Emisoft and checking the faq if it's a known problem.

Checking in Program files ..Program data "User Appdata" local and roaming
"msconfig" check autostart..just go through everything to see what's going on on your computer.

Your Antivirus and OA needs autostart everything else can start later..
(I run Erunt registry backup in autostart too, but no Pdf or what so ever needs hang in there)
basicly search for programs You don't know and you did not install, files like javascript in Temps and dll ..
all those can cause a lot of problems as well
I understand that autostart is not your problem..but as said you see what programs are sneeking around..

Everything can be solved with some effort thats for shure!
After you did clean and everything is well, you can consider a reboot restore RX for free it will always put it back to the same state.
It protects your data.

What kind of cleaning tools do u use ? check this forum for malicious cleaner, junk cleaner etc..:idea:

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Bughead said:
Diurpaneus said:

I'm sorry for that but if it's happen at the moment you go online it must be some kind of malicious webpage dropped something or..

I only can tell U what I would do..cleaning up. Maybe contact Emisoft and checking the faq if it's a known problem.

Checking in Program files ..Program data "User Appdata" local and roaming
"msconfig" check autostart..just go through everything to see what's going on on your computer.

Your Antivirus and OA needs autostart everything else can start later..
(I run Erunt registry backup in autostart too, but no Pdf or what so ever needs hang in there)
basicly search for programs You don't know and you did not install, files like javascript in Temps and dll ..
all those can cause a lot of problems as well
I understand that autostart is not your problem..but as said you see what programs are sneeking around..

Everything can be solved with some effort thats for shure!
After you did clean and everything is well, you can consider a reboot restore RX for free it will always put it back to the same state.
It protects your data.

What kind of cleaning tools do u use ? check this forum for malicious cleaner, junk cleaner etc..:idea:
I do not think i have viruses or malware on my pc because is scanned weekley with multiple software(kaspersky virus removal tool,emsisoft emergency kit,f-secure online scanner,hitman pro,malwarebytes).
Also i clean junk file with Ccleaner(Ccenhancer attached),system ninja,privazer.
The firewall i tested on Grc ShieldUp and PcFlank,everything is fine so the problem is most likely OA.
I will unistall OA and install PrivateFirewall to see how it goes.
Thanks for your help.

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Littlebits said:
I haven't used Online Armor for awhile now, but back when I did, downloading torrents caused this problem every time.

Make sure when you close uTorrent that it is still not running in the background. Its default action is to close to taskbar tray. It can continue to seed downloaded torrents and eat up resources.

Also just about any third-party firewall will make your download speeds slower and cause even more resources to be used. While downloading torrents it is best to exit and close third-party firewall and then enable Windows Firewall which doesn't cause any problems.

I close the utorrent from taskmanager(end task) to be sure about that.i used many third-party firewall but none of them don t have such behavior like OA.

ctrlaltdelete

Oct 9, 2012
Check Online Armor > Programs for any unknown (not trusted) programs. If programs are listed there and they are not trusted yet, check if they are trusted programs and mark them as trusted program. If that doesn't solve your issue with high CPU usage...

Enable Beta updates in Online Armor and perform a manual update. You will receive an update to version 6.0.0.1798. Reboot and check if that solved the issue.

If version 6.0.0.1798 doesn't solve your issue with high CPU usage, please contact Emsisoft support. They will ask you to enable the debug logging and the debug logs will show what process is causing this high CPU usage.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Diurpaneus said:
Littlebits said:

I close the utorrent from taskmanager(end task) to be sure about that.i used many third-party firewall but none of them don t have such behavior like OA.

You might try completely uninstalling OA with IObit Uninstaller or similar product that removes all files and registry entries. Reboot your PC and reinstall the stable release not the beta and see if that solves the problems. If it doesn't then you might want to just uninstall for good and use an alternative firewall like ZoneAlarm Free, Comodo, Privatefirewall, Outpost, etc. or just use Windows Firewall with a light HIPS like WinPartol.

ctrlaltdelete

Oct 9, 2012
The issue is caused by wehavetofigureoutwhich.exe + Online Armor.

I've spent hundreds of hours testing OA and i'm still testing OA every day.
The option to enable debug mode isn't just for fun, it's there to solve issues like this.
Information from the debug logs will show which process is causing the issue.

If you spend a few minutes to create debug logs and send them to Emsisoft support they will tell you which process is causing the issue and excluding this process will most likely solve the high CPU usage. By doing this you won't only help yourself, you'll also help others who might experience the same issue with OA.

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
ctrlaltdelete said:
The issue is caused by wehavetofigureoutwhich.exe + Online Armor.

I've spent hundreds of hours testing OA and i'm still testing OA every day.
The option to enable debug mode isn't just for fun, it's there to solve issues like this.
Information from the debug logs will show which process is causing the issue.

If you spend a few minutes to create debug logs and send them to Emsisoft support they will tell you which process is causing the issue and excluding this process will most likely solve the high CPU usage. By doing this you won't only help yourself, you'll also help others who might experience the same issue with OA.
Yes you have right about that but my patience is very limited and because of that i uninstalled the OA and now i am a happy user of privatefirewall.
Thank you for your advices.

Diurpaneus

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Littlebits said:
Diurpaneus said:
Littlebits said:

You might try completely uninstalling OA with IObit Uninstaller or similar product that removes all files and registry entries. Reboot your PC and reinstall the stable release not the beta and see if that solves the problems. If it doesn't then you might want to just uninstall for good and use an alternative firewall like ZoneAlarm Free, Comodo, Privatefirewall, Outpost, etc. or just use Windows Firewall with a light HIPS like WinPartol.

Thank you for your advice,now i use Privatefirewall and I've had no problems with it so far.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Privatefirewall is ok for your system, no slowdowns at all and just beware from multiple pop ups when set for standard or manual just train it for couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.