Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
Only Receive PM-s From Friends

This new setting is at your disposal:
In your User Control Panel -> Edit Options -> Messaging and Notification you'll find a check-box: "Only receive private messages from users on my Buddy List". By default it is Unchecked but if for any reason you need to check it, feel free to do so.
If someone that is not on your buddy list will try to send you a private message he/she will receive an error message: "You cannot send messages to <Username> because you're not on their buddy list."

[attachment=142]

Notes:
  • MyBB Engine and Staff will still be able to contact you through the PM system.
  • Private messages are subject to moderation. If you receive a private message that breaks the Forum Rules contact a member of our Staff.

For comments regarding this feature you can reply in this thread. For comments that are not related use the Feedback/Suggestions forum.

Attachments

• Image 020.png
    Image 020.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 611
Reactions: Malware1

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks...I think this is a great idea...cuts down the spam

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
No it does not cut down the spam. If the spammers make it in far enough to try and send you a PM they breached security.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
Enabling automated filters most of the time also blocks legit users from registering. But we did it (for the time being). No automated method works 100%.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks for adding this feature I hope I will not have to use it as I have yet to receive any type of spam or un-wanted PM's.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
@Dieselman...They do a good job so leave them alone. If you don't like a forum that from time to time receives some spammers then you're free to leave to a better one. You know how hard a forum is to secure and you know that this happens with or without your will ,so let's not start becoming hypocrites.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
It is OK, there is always room for improvement. At least we try :D
I'm sorry for the PMs you received.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's good as long the spammer will cannot try to send a PM if the user activate the settings

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
Enabling automated filters most of the time also blocks legit users from registering. But we did it (for the time being). No automated method works 100%.

Yep. If you want new users to be able to register on your forum, you will have spammers registering.

Currently there is an extreme amount of forum spamming going on web-wide.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
LaserWraith said:
I guess I missed this "fiasco". Anyone want to enlighten me? :p
A spam PM was sent to people by a spammer, and Dieselman and Ryan's profiles were also spammed, so we've decided to take action.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well just to tell also before that I was also send a PM by a spammer too but in profile not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.