OP,have ability to lock their own topic or delete thier own topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payback

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hello everyone.

I wonder,if Jack or someone could add this feature,I mean...it could be cool and will prevent unwanted replies (much easier than begging moderators to close topics,and much easier for Moderators to prevent spam),also better than just editing title to "Solved/Closed/Problem Solved/Closed by Original Poster,please do not reply". I hope Jack will think about my idea,I bet nothing is wrong with locking/deleting our own topic. At least we could find our topics easily,and it will actually prevent spam.

Thank you

- Payback

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Why do you need to do that when you can just use the
postbit_report.gif
button?

D

Deleted member 178

Before posters could delete their own posts but it was removed since a member (now banned) deleted the whole thread he made, including other members posts.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You should take your advice too. ;)

Payback said:
and it will actually prevent spam.

At the moment, if you like the Topic to be Closed, you can PM one of the Super Moderators or Post in your final reply that is the your problem is solved, providing adequate information to whose post was helpful.

Considering most threads are open discussions, closing threads aren't always required. Unless, for example; out-dated, succeeded by another or troubleshooting topics.

Thank you for your posting your suggestion.

Payback

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Earth said:
You should take your advice too. ;)

Payback said:
and it will actually prevent spam.

At the moment, if you like the Topic to be Closed, you can PM one of the Super Moderators or Post in your final reply that is the your problem is solved, providing adequate information to whose post was helpful.

Considering most threads are open discussions, closing threads aren't always required. Unless, for example; out-dated, succeeded by another or troubleshooting topics.

Thank you for your posting your suggestion.

Okay then,thank you,Earth

You can lock the topic now,I was just suggesting it.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Payback said:
True,I am a retired mod of Bleepingcomputers.com

As a retired Moderator you should understand why this suggestion just cannot be implemented here or on any other forum.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
In my opinion, being able to delete your own post is a good idea. Its good to be able to do so when we post something that a few minutes or hours later we realize that we posted something awfull or unnecessary.

Of the four forums that I go to, I tried deleting a post in this forum and on one of the other three. I was able to do so in the other one.

Bo

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree partially agree with the delete post option in that sometimes I am posting and forgot I submitted and then submit again which creates a double post but I just click on report with a quick explanation and it is usually taken care of in a short period of time.

What I am taking from this suggestion is having the ability to lock and or delete your own thread because you have found a solution or received an answer and of course to prevent spam :huh: .Which if allowed will delete everyone's replies hence changing member post counts.Not to mention the moderation nightmare this would cause with threads deleted and threads closed all over the place.As a site grows bigger with thousands of members some things just need to be moderated by staff and not members.

I like the delete post option but if you realize you have posted something you regret you can quick edit delete the content and just ad XXXXXXXXXXXXX or anything else to it,click report with an explanation and it will be done

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If you had to make an argument, a member deleting a post makes much more sense than allowing a member to delete the entire thread, with the exception being: if someone has already posted a response a user cannot delete the thread.

There are a couple of times I needed to delete my own post and could not, so I simply did an edit and put a short, altered statement in there so I could submit my update.

ou can quick edit delete the content and just ad XXXXXXXXXXXXX or anything else to it

That is what I meant. lol

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
This feature does not exist because it was being abused. Apparently this forum software doesn't have the feature that a thread can not be deleted if anyone other than the original poster has taken part in the thread.

As such, a member was deleting threads that he had started when people didn't agree with him, so he was just deleting the threads to make the statements that he didn't like, go away.

If you want something deleted, ask a mod. If removing the post won't make the thread confusing to read, (if someone has responded to your post, their post will not make any sense if yours disappears) we can move it to a restricted access forum. (We don't like to delete anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.