Advice Request OpenVPN vs IKEv2 - Which do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Which of these two protocols would be most secure in regard to speed, streaming, privacy, or otherwise?

I have read that OpenVPN is the most secure at the expense of speed, and IKEv2 is the fastest with some sacrifice in security and/or encryption.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew999

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I have read that OpenVPN is the most secure at the expense of speed, and IKEv2 is the fastest with some sacrifice in security and/or encryption.
This is pretty much correct.
If you're doing something that would benefit from a faster connection and lower latency (streaming, for example) then IKEv2's the way to go.

But atm i test out WireGuard, seems like a nice, new protocol
I wouldn't use WireGuard yet if I were you. The developers themselves say that you shouldn't rely on it and that it hasn't undergone any proper security audits yet. Also multiple VPN vendors claim it's not yet compatible with a no-logging policy.

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
This is pretty much correct.
If you're doing something that would benefit from a faster connection and lower latency (streaming, for example) then IKEv2's the way to go.

I wouldn't use WireGuard yet if I were you. The developers themselves say that you shouldn't rely on it and that it hasn't undergone any proper security audits yet. Also multiple VPN vendors claim it's not yet compatible with a no-logging policy.
[/QUOTEL

I read elsewhere on the web that IKEv2 is crackable whereas OpenVPN is not. True?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I read elsewhere on the web that IKEv2 is crackable whereas OpenVPN is not. True?
If so it'd be limited to the likes of intelligence agencies; no garden-variety blackhat is going to be cracking it. Sadly information surrounding the capabilities of these agencies is too vague to say definitively. But unless you're planning on recruiting people to join some terrorist organisation and attempting to cover your tracks via VPN then these agencies aren't something you should concern yourself with.

Last edited:
Reactions: SearchLight

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I own licenses for Cyberghost and Windscribe but their Android apps don't have an option to select IKEv2 as protocol. Did you notice the same? Be great to use with Smartphone if it were available.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
IKEv2. It keeps my VPN connection intact even when my wifi changes or drops out which happens frequently on Windows...

Reactions: Andrew999

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
As IKEv2 was the default with Windows Windscribe I've sort of stuck with it, fast connection too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.