Not open for further replies.

Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
OperaNext.png

After a busy Winter here in the Desktop department at Opera we are finally ready to lift the covers of the latest preview of the next generation of our Web browsers. Today we are releasing Opera Next 15 for Windows and Mac. For all the latest information on the features head on over to the product information page. If you just can't wait grab the builds from the links below.

Opera Next for Windows
Opera Next for Mac

One of the changes in this release is moving Opera's internal email client M2, into it's own separate product. It's almost ready, so today we want to introduce to you, the first release candidate of Opera Mail. If you have been using M2 please download it and send us your feedback.

Opera Mail for Windows
Opera Mail for Mac

Enjoy! :popcorm1:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Opera Next Homepage: http://www.opera.com/developer/next

I clicked on Opera Next for Windows, didn't know it was a download only. Ha, thanks for the update. Downloaded.

Bonus about Opera, you can install as Portable. +1

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Opera for Windows 15.0 Build 1147 Next
New in version Opera Next 15
Engine Blink: the first version of Opera for 15 computers based on Blink engine. It is called Opera because 15 is made at Chroumium 28.

-This build is stable (the new browser is used in the daily work in the company), but still not final or RC. This release candidate is ready for Windows.

-Express-bar: From Opera bookmarks, 15 removed for replacement of new Express-toolbar.

Piggy bank: Add a page to your piggy bank and come back to it when you have time.

-Recommendation: helps you find interesting and immediately move on to reading. You can set country, language and a list of interesting topics.

-The awesome bar: Opera for 15 computers will combine the address bar and search bar into one whole. The awesome bar offers tips (they can be disabled in the settings) and more search providers to choose from.

-Compression Mode: mode for public Wi-Fi or 3 g modems. Compression mode from the main menu page sends through Opera proxy, which significantly reduces the page size by using a clever combination of image compression, SPDY, and other magic.

-Extensions: starting from 15 onwards, the Opera format extensions for Opera 11 and 12 is no longer a supported browser and switch to the format of the Chromium extensions.

-Other enhancements: mouse gestures, tools for developers.
http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera-next/15.0.1147.18/win/Opera_Next_15.0.1147.18_Setup.exe

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RgbyKCY.png

"You are using Opera 15.0 on Windows 8"

http://html5test.com

Reactions: Jack

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
No bookmark imports, no interface adjustments, ugly. If you want the BLINK engine experience, best to use Chrome 28 for now.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Something doesn't look right.. is this Opera-related or due to the Blink engine?

wlvRBD9.png

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
Something doesn't look right.. is this Opera-related or due to the Blink engine?

wlvRBD9.png

All fine on my end.

vw1viJY.png

I'm going to use Opera until I come across an issue that stops me from using it.

Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

Dosen't have built in PDF reader and Flash.

Have a nice day!

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
OK, thank's Paul.R.
DrBeenGolfing gives the Opera build a PAR. Might be a Birdie with a couple of tweeks.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
No bookmark imports, no interface adjustments, ugly. If you want the BLINK engine experience, best to use Chrome 28 for now.

Here's more from "No points" for Opera 15.

A one user summed up it as follows:

- no option to put tabs on the side
- no sidebar
- absolutely no option to customize UI/buttons
- no link
- do you even have bookmarks at all?!
- wand doesn't save extra fields (user/pass/save session)
- no M2!?
- no notes?!
- No Personal Information
- no MDI
- no custom shortcuts/mouse gestures?
- no RSS?!?!?!?!?

Source post

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
This is the first release using Chrome engine, hopefully more features will be added. I tried it and wasn't impressed at all, it offers nothing over just using Google Chrome.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MrXidus, Are you sure?

Issue #1:
It occurs when I hold Ctrl+ to open in a new tab, it appears s...n issue that stops me from using it. [/quote]

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Takes a bit of getting used to, but having tweaked it (had to install their UK English dictionary to get spell check to work,) install Flash player, import bookmarks from IE to Opera speed dial. In 24 hours of use, it's not nearly as bad as my first impression. Needs more work, but it is usable - I can do without the buttons, worked around bookmarks, don't use Opera Mail (which from reading their forums, has problems of it's own.) Best thing about Opera 15 - it ain't Google!

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
I'm addicted to Firefox. I've tried to switch to another browsers many times but i can't :D
Who else love Firefox? :p

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
MrXidus, Are you sure?

Issue #1:
It occurs when I hold Ctrl+ to open in a new tab, it appears s.... [url=http://goo.gl/mdwBt]Here's the result.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Opera Features and the Release Cycle
By Adam Minchintonminch. Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:19:52 AM
15, features, RELEASE CYCLE, TABS, themes
First off, thanks for all of your feedback. With over one thousand comments following yesterdays release, we would like to provide you with a further explanation of our plan,

Our plan all along is to have three different streams of Opera for Desktop running all the time. Each stream will have an increasing level of stability. The streams will be:

Opera Developer: Most unstable, all the cool stuff
Opera Next: The work we are stabilizing for the next final version
Opera (Stable): The most stable build for everyone

We didn't settle exactly how often we will be releasing new builds in these streams but we can tip that you will see new versions coming at much, much faster pace than it was with the classic, Presto-based line.

You don't need to worry about Opera becoming a clone of something, or that you will be forced to stop using 12.x before you think we're ready. Our mission didn't change - we're going to bring you the best Internet experience. We are on the way to build the best browser out there. A browser that is not tied to the particular version number but is a continuously work in progress. Seeing your engagement I think we can count on your help and feedback.

So if something is not in Opera 15 stable - don't worry, Opera Next 16 will be released roughly same time as Opera 15 stable. And the time span between the two will be shorter than ever.

So let's talk about features.

We got a long list from you yesterday. Yes we made a list! As we have mentioned in the comments and we want to say it loud now - more features will come in future versions. Just to mention Link, themes support, geolocation and a feature rich tab bar to start with. Some are already in the making - just disabled since not stable enough just yet. Over the time also our settings/configuration will become richer too. And one more - Dragonfly is not dead though we cannot give you more information yet.

Stay tuned, and please keep sending in your feedback.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-features-and-release-cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.