LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source: Opera 50 to Include Cryptojacking Protection

Opera will become the first browser to feature an anti-cryptojacking feature that will prevent websites from using your computer's CPU power to mine for cryptocurrencies.

This new feature is named NoCoin and is currently under development. Users can get it right now if they install Opera 50 Beta RC, and the feature is expected to land in the stable version of Opera 50, set for an official release in January 2018.

NoCoin is part of Opera's native ad blocker. The ad blocker comes disabled by default, and enabling the ad blocker also turns on the NoCoin cryptocurrency mining protection.

Opera50.png

Opera's move comes after the practice of in-browser cryptocurrency mining —also known as cryptojacking— has taken off since mid-September, when an in-browser Monero mining service named Coinhive launched online.

The Pirate Bay currently uses this service, but also thousands of other sites. In the vast majority of cases, the Coinhive library is loaded without asking users for consent, or without their knowledge, usually, on hacked sites.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It's just a built in extension, hardly innovative. I'd be more concerned with Opera's new owners, the fact it hits the Ukrainian National Bank in the background and downloads a file each time it loads, etc.

For innovation, go with Yandex Beta, with Yandex Protect from Sophos+Agnitum.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
It's just a built in extension, hardly innovative. I'd be more concerned with Opera's new owners, the fact it hits the Ukrainian National Bank in the background and downloads a file each time it loads, etc.

For innovation, go with Yandex Beta, with Yandex Protect from Sophos+Agnitum.
You talk about the owners of Opera, if you take that side, I care more about American programs, the vast majority are manipulated by the government (NSA, CIA and etc.), are a great threat to the privacy of people. About Yandex, it's Russian, Russia is one of the world's most spy countries, along with the US, do you blindly believe in what write in the privacy policy? I've heard so many things against Yandex, Kaspersky, Qihoo, Symantec, McAfee, Comodo and so on, but even so people use it anyway, anyone who uses the internet nowadays has nowhere to run, my friend :) Anyway, I respect your opinion, sorry English, I use google translator.

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Opera's integrated adblocker is pretty basic compared to uBlock (which can do a whole lot more) but it does what it says and Opera is still a pretty good browser.
I agree, anyway, Opera is still the only one that gives me what I expect from a good browser, lightweight, speedy, good extensions, vpn, personalization, snapshot tool, integrated messengers and so on :)

T

TrinitronMSDOS

You talk about the owners of Opera, if you take that side, I care more about American programs, the vast majority are manipulated by the government (NSA, CIA and etc.), are a great threat to the privacy of people. About Yandex, it's Russian, Russia is one of the world's most spy countries, along with the US, do you blindly believe in what write in the privacy policy? I've heard so many things against Yandex, Kaspersky, Qihoo, Symantec, McAfee, Comodo and so on, but even so people use it anyway, anyone who uses the internet nowadays has nowhere to run, my friend :) Anyway, I respect your opinion, sorry English, I use google translator.

While i respect your opinion, if you start ruling out US, Russian and Chinese softwares, you won't have a lot to choose from. Sure there are a lot of AVs from the EU (G-Data, F-Secure, Eset, Avast, etc...) or from countries where privacy is good (Emsisoft is from New Zealand for example), but as far as web browsers go the choice is way more limited.

I honestly think that there are a lot of very good and trustable companies, regardless of where there are based. And they have a reputation to uphold. Take a look at what happened to WOT (Web Of Trust), one (big) mistake and they are pretty much finished. The companies making softwares know that only one scandal can damage them pretty good, and i don't think they would risk going out of business that easily. Same goes for the governments. For example, the Chinese government could in theory spy users or steal their data thru Opera, but that would be at the risk of putting out of business one of their company, creating a scandal and making people even more wary of products coming from their country. The risk is not worth it.

I'm not naive, i know countries like the US, Russia or China are probably spying, as well as other countries. But i'm pretty sure it will remain in the limit of what is consider "reasonable" (not saying it's a good think either), as far as consumer users go anyway.

To sum it up: don't pay too much attention at which country is your software from. The important is if the company itself is worthy of your trust. That's my opinion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.